What happened to the WDW I knew and loved?

stoudt6

Mouseketeer
I know the bottom line is about the almighty $, but WDW in the past wasn't like the 1 I just came back from. They keep trying to nickle and dime us each and every time--something in the past you didn't see. Be it all the same napkins that now say Disney Parks instead of diffierent ones for each restraunt and resort--like the cool ones at Sci-fi as an example. Or the fact that you have about the same 10 hats and 20 shirts to pick from at just about each and every shop/resort store. There was a time where you get a hard to find character hat/shirt (say scrooge mcduck) and when you found it, it was truly special becuase you had to look at many shops to find it. Now 1-2 shops and you got all covered. Add to it the mixed drink list is down to about 10 drinks becuase 'all restraunts and bars get the same supply". We looked forward to the different drinks, now same drinks just under different name at each place. The worst change was at Casey's Corner where they not only switched the Hot Dog , but the bun. The reason behind this was the old buns wouldn't hold all the toppings for their chicago style and Barbque slaw dogs which is a higher mark-up. Guess I really got a bad bun becuase #1 it was rock hard, and #2 its still managed to fall apart, that I had to eat with a fork.I can go on and on, but like I said the bottom $ wins out over the poast at WDW.

That's what happens when the newer generation of college graduates get into the management positions. Saw the same kind of thing at Ditch Witch. The legacy management retired and the newer management folks started treating the employee's like they are resources and not people. Everything was about the $, not the employee's. I get it that you must have $ to maintain the business, but used to be the employees and customers were a lot more important than they seem to be today.

I really enjoy my time in the parks.
I don't really care about the napkins, and being able to see everything there is to buy for a souvenir by just checking one or two shops is a big plus for me!

I'm so excited to see the new fantasyland attractions, and can't wait to see what Avatarland will turn out to be!

The CMs there are always so nice to us, the parks are still the cleanest ones anywhere.

Can't comment on Casey's. I'm not a fan of the hot dog and have never tried it.

I've got three trips planned right now. President's week with my BFF and our two daughters, an anniversary getaway in April with DH, and a much anticipated 9 day AKL getaway for my BFF, her DH and DD and my DH, DD and me in August!

Love Disney, never a dull moment, unless you want one!

That's what happens when the newer generation of college graduates get into the management positions. Saw the same kind of thing at Ditch Witch. The legacy management retired and the newer management folks started treating the employee's like they are resources and not people. Everything was about the $, not the employee's. I get it that you must have $ to maintain the business, but used to be the employees and customers were a lot more important than they seem to be today.

I do not think you should be blaming this on college graduates. That is offensive and not accurate.

I do not think you should be blaming this on college graduates. That is offensive and not accurate.

Sorry you're offended, but I've seen it. It is accurate to what I've seen and I have a master's degree myself. Is it every college graduate? Of course not but I've seen the effects of what university management classes teach. What they need to learn is leadership in conjunction with management.

I think a lot of times theories of decline root from simple nostalgia (or something similar). Perhaps, you have some great memories from when you or your children (if you have any) were younger. The human mind often embellishes places where memories that you long for occurred.

I still remember when we used to go every six weeks or so with my children when they were much, much younger. Now, they are 16 and 14. WDW seemed a bit better back then but then I remember that it isn't WDW that was better, it's the odd side (apparently, it is unusual for dads) of me that has mixed feelings about my kids growing up. Then I remember that in just two or three years, they won't even be living with me, so I hold onto and treasure those old memories and attempt to make new ones at WDW.

Wow, that was unexpectedly deep...

I think a lot of times theories of decline root from simple nostalgia (or something similar). Perhaps, you have some great memories from when you or your children (if you have any) were younger. The human mind often embellishes places where memories that you long for occurred.

I still remember when we used to go every six weeks or so with my children when they were much, much younger. Now, they are 16 and 14. WDW seemed a bit better back then but then I remember that it isn't WDW that was better, it's the odd side (apparently, it is unusual for dads) of me that has mixed feelings about my kids growing up. Then I remember that in just two or three years, they won't even be living with me, so I hold onto and treasure those old memories and attempt to make new ones at WDW.

Wow, andyman, that was deep. I'm impressed. And I agree. So often we see our past visits through a nostalgic, rosy glow.

I really don't give a rat's patootie what the napkins look like, as long as they're available. I don't spend much on souvenirs, and I rarely drink mixed drinks or eat hot dogs. So I guess it's no wonder that after 35 years we are enjoying our visits as much if not more than we did on our first.

On my first visit there was only one park. I couldn't afford to eat at a TS, and a Tshirt was all I could afford for a souvenir. Now we're staying onsite for 10 nights, eating at signature restaurants, visiting 4 parks and introducing our grandson to The Mouse. What is important to us is the experience; not just what you can buy. WDW continues to grow and provide great new experiences for everyone. Or you can count your hotdog crumbs......

In the old days, you had to go to a restaurant or attraction or hotel to buy their specific pin. It was fun, it was a hunt and a memory of getting it. Special as the OP said. Now there are pin carts with every pin from everything you can imagine all in one place and at about 3x the cost.

I miss all the little touches too...that's was one thing that made Disney World better than anywhere else.

At the end of the day, it IS a business. It always has been.

I'd rather have generic napkins, less themed mixed drinks, and a lesser assortment of souvenirs than pay more for a ticket.

I think a lot of things are nostalgia. Do we miss Dream Finder and Figment....yes, do we miss the original buffeteria at FW....you bet; however, coming around the bend from TTC to Magic Kingdom and seeing GS so excited he's jumping up and down saying "I see it! I see it!" When the castle came into view made new memories. Things are never the same, but new memories can be just as sweet. ;)

I think that changes are often difficult to accept. It is a reality that the cost of doing business continues to rise and that there is a finite amount of money a consumer is willing to spend to enjoy any product, service or experience. I am not privy to the business plan WDW executives have in place but I do believe that there are cutbacks in place throughout the parks and resorts. If Disney determines that enough money can be saved by using a generic parks napkin and that amount when coupled with additional small cutbacks, can help to keep the price of tickets d lower than otherwise, it would make sense to make those changes.

I also wonder if consolidating merchandise is to accommodate guests who do not like the thrill of the hunt for certain items.

I believe that the reality is that Disney is attempting to cut back in areas that have the least impact on guests. People who are frequent visitors are going to notice the changes and some will miss those touches that made each park and resort unique. I don't think the majority of visitors are "frequent flyers." They will not know what details are missing because they did not know those details were ever in place.

I am not sure what the happy medium is. Raise prices and lose some guests? Discontinue some of the unique touches that made each resort and park special and risk upsetting guests who notice the loss? I don't know. All I can say is that WDW beats a lot of other theme parks and their surrounding areas any time so for now I am not going to complain about napkins.

I will say that I am mourning the loss of the Christmas Show in the Galaxy Theater during the Christmas Party. I also want things to remain the same and want that theater back.

Exactly! I read time and time again "WDW isn't what it used to be ..."

Nothing is ever what it used to be because our perception through fresh eyes & excitement is different to the 20th trip down the road. Maybe its just 'old' for you now. As the saying goes "Its not you, its me " ;)

People tend to focus on what's missing from past memories. I also miss things like mints with the "ball" on them that would come with the bill at Epcot table service restaurants and Donald water skiing in the mornings as the ferry would cross the lake. There are also things I enjoy now that my past memories don't have. I love how Disney creates "magic memories" that they commemorate with a certificate. I got one that had a special Tinkerbell pin attached to it once. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom collector cards are special and a nice free souvenir. I don't remember the fun, action packed pool parties the resorts have each afternoon now "back in the day". I also love the free pic with characters we get each year with our Disney Visa card (yes I know this is sponsored by Chase but it's still something extra we didn't use to get). Special occasion buttons are also nice touches that we're missing from the past. Things change, for the better and the worse but most people only remember the worse.

Who in the (blank) cares about the petty little stuff like napkins and hot dog buns? It's about treasuring time spent with your family at the greatest place on Earth. Make your memories while you can with your loved ones, especially your children because, like a PP said, they will be out of the nest before you know it. I could care less if I wipe my mouth with a brown napkin or a Sci Fi one. All that matters is that the ones I care about most in the world are there with me.

Nostalgia is the past with the bad things removed from memory...

Wow, andyman, that was deep. I'm impressed. And I agree. So often we see our past visits through a nostalgic, rosy glow.

I really don't give a rat's patootie what the napkins look like, as long as they're available. I don't spend much on souvenirs, and I rarely drink mixed drinks or eat hot dogs. So I guess it's no wonder that after 35 years we are enjoying our visits as much if not more than we did on our first.

On my first visit there was only one park. I couldn't afford to eat at a TS, and a Tshirt was all I could afford for a souvenir. Now we're staying onsite for 10 nights, eating at signature restaurants, visiting 4 parks and introducing our grandson to The Mouse. What is important to us is the experience; not just what you can buy. WDW continues to grow and provide great new experiences for everyone. Or you can count your hotdog crumbs......

Thats lovely to read Minniemum - you have grown with the World :goodvibes Glad to hear you are still having such a great time and now sharing that with your grandson :)

Agree with lots of posters, its the memories from the trip that count. For us its still going each year and have our DD(30) and DS (27) still want to go on a family trip with us. Can't believe the op actually cares so much about a napkin. My guess is the reason for the change is that Disney does try to recycle and be eco friendly and the new napkins are probably made out of recycled material - I could care less about the napkins, they work just as well as the old ones. As for the buns that everyone complains about, they have changed (like lots of other places, schools included) to rolls that are supposed to be healthier for you. We love going to Disney 1 to 2 times a year and don't let small things that change bother us, overall the parks are still wonderful and making family memories is what matters.

Just to add, people are quick to complain about the things that Disney have taken away and yet, look at all they have added. Pretty awesome in my books.

I think it's a blend. Yes I've been going to wdw for quite a while so I do admit to those rose colored glasses but there are also issues that are real and not mind made up. My biggest peeve like so many is the horrible food. No that is not nostalgia, the food quality in wdw has dropped like a 10lb bag of cement in a pool.

So basically I've changed as the wdw has changed. Do I still have fabulous times? no doubt. Do I have the high expectations that I use to have say maybe 6-7 years ago? No.

I also think I may suffer from burn out. I use to go once maybe twice a year so it's hard to not notice "little" things. A first timer or some one who only goes once every 4 years may not notice the dirty balcony in their room. Me, since I spend my evenings on a balcony relaxing, I notice. (please note I did not say it ruined my trip).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter