What happens to the Fantasy?

Cfabar1

DIS Veteran
Any predictions where it ends up after 2025 summer sailings? Does it say in Europe or come back to Florida?

Any predictions where it ends up after 2025 summer sailings? Does it say in Europe or come back to Florida?
I don't think Disney could really do a Fall European season. They struggle as it is to fill the ship during some of the summer sailing already (or at least that is evident with the Dream).

I'd love to see them head for some fresh locales that were discussed during our May 2023 sailing on the Magic at the Castaway Club reception (e.g., South America).

I would presume that the Fantasy will do much of what it will do next spring... lots of 4-5 night trips, mostly out of Port Canaveral. Disney added a second private island, and the Wish and Treasure generally aren't going to Lighthouse Point. Plus they've worked an agreement with Port Canaveral to use a second terminal at times, so I expect that the Fantasy to be utilizing that. Wouldn't be surprised if there are a few east coast cruises after it returns from Europe (and the dry dock), but I would expect that by Thanksgiving (and actually Halloween), it'll be back running Bahamas cruises.

Florida (and specifically PC) itineraries are the highest priced. Very little chance any DCL ship will be based out of Europe year-round. Its core client base is USA and few Americans are looking to travel to Europe for a fall or winter cruise. The addition of Lighthouse Point heavily hints toward DCL expanding its footprint in Florida.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take a few years playing with all the itineraries that are not the Treasure and Wish (or maybe Destiny), figuring those ships will keep doing 7-night and 3 or 4-nights out of PC, until they figure out the most profitable itineraries.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a 7-night Bahamas cruise out of NYC at some point. The Fantasy was christened in NYC. If the ship leaves NYC on a Saturday, it could use the second terminal at PC when it gets there on Monday, assuming the Wish (or Destiny) are using the main terminal for embarkation of the 4-night cruise. If they can't sell out the Fantasy, I'd be more than happy to take the Magic or Wonder... Just sayin.

I don't know what the future holds exactly but I don't want to fly to Europe for 7 nights or longer
to sail it. Beautiful ship and for those of us that prefer it over the new style ship...so far not many options
for longer sailings in the US in 2025.

How high are the chances for the Fantasy going into dry dock in September 2025? I would love to do another WBTA, but have an Alaska sailing booked for September. So I am hoping the Fantasy will do the WBTA in October 2025 like the Dream does this year.

I see no reason why the Fantasy would not do a WBTA cruise at the end of its European sailing season, just as the Dream did in 2023 and is doing in 2024, and as the Magic did for many years through 2022. The timing as to a September or October TA sailing date may depend on whether there is a Fantasy dry dock at the end of the season (as for the Dream this year, where the planned dry dock has moved the Dream 2024 transatlantic sailing into mid-October). Also, whether the Fantasy ends its 2025 TA cruise in New York or one of the Florida ports will depend on plans for fall 2025 sailings of Fantasy, Dream, and Magic. We know at least one of these will be sailing from Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades, probably the Dream, since DCL is contractually bound to a minimum number of passenger boardings there and needs to have some ship sailing from PE year around with a second ship in busier times. Both the Dream and the Magic are schedule to sail out of PE in 2025. Similarly, DCL will sometimes have a third ship sailing out of Port Canaveral (along with the Wish and Treasure) to meet its contractual obligations there. That could be the Fantasy or the Magic depending on what other ports/itineraries are in play. With the Wonder sailing on the Pacific side of the planet, that leaves the other three classic ships sailing out of PC, PE, Galveston, possibly New York for a small number of sailings, possibly San Juan for a small number of sailings, all in some combination to be announced with the next booking release.

How high are the chances for the Fantasy going into dry dock in September 2025? I would love to do another WBTA, but have an Alaska sailing booked for September. So I am hoping the Fantasy will do the WBTA in October 2025 like the Dream does this year.
I think the current best guess is that it will do a dry dock at the end of the season like Dream is doing this year.

I see no reason why the Fantasy would not do a WBTA cruise at the end of its European sailing season, just as the Dream did in 2023 and is doing in 2024, and as the Magic did for many years through 2022. The timing as to a September or October TA sailing date may depend on whether there is a Fantasy dry dock at the end of the season (as for the Dream this year, where the planned dry dock has moved the Dream 2024 transatlantic sailing into mid-October). Also, whether the Fantasy ends its 2025 TA cruise in New York or one of the Florida ports will depend on plans for fall 2025 sailings of Fantasy, Dream, and Magic. We know at least one of these will be sailing from Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades, probably the Dream, since DCL is contractually bound to a minimum number of passenger boardings there and needs to have some ship sailing from PE year around with a second ship in busier times. Both the Dream and the Magic are schedule to sail out of PE in 2025. Similarly, DCL will sometimes have a third ship sailing out of Port Canaveral (along with the Wish and Treasure) to meet its contractual obligations there. That could be the Fantasy or the Magic depending on what other ports/itineraries are in play. With the Wonder sailing on the Pacific side of the planet, that leaves the other three classic ships sailing out of PC, PE, Galveston, possibly New York for a small number of sailings, possibly San Juan for a small number of sailings, all in some combination to be announced with the next booking release.

It isn't just contractual obligations - Florida is where the $$$ is at. Consider that Carnival tried to homeport a ship year-round in NYC but was unsuccessful (the fall/winter cruises are heavily discounted, especially via select travel agents, and the ship will reposition to Florida for the fall/winter beginning next year). DCL could manage a few fall cruises (fall colors, etc.) from NYC but in the long run, Florida is going to generate higher returns.

It isn't just contractual obligations - Florida is where the $$$ is at. Consider that Carnival tried to homeport a ship year-round in NYC but was unsuccessful (the fall/winter cruises are heavily discounted, especially via select travel agents, and the ship will reposition to Florida for the fall/winter beginning next year). DCL could manage a few fall cruises (fall colors, etc.) from NYC but in the long run, Florida is going to generate higher returns.
Of course. As usual, follow the $$$. The contracts simply reflect the reality of the business case for the large number of Florida sailings, not just for DCL but for other cruise lines as well. The OP for this thread asked if there were any predictions that the Fantasy would stay in Europe or come back to Florida. The fact that there are contractual obligations makes speculation about whether the Fantasy will stay in Europe a non-starter.

All the ships were in dry dock in 2020. And supposedly on a 3-year routine schedule. Magic went in Spring 2023. Wonder in Sep 2023. Dream in 2024. Fantasy was refurbed in 2017. Seems a good possibility to do the work at the end of the European season while they are over there.

I think they’ll have the Destiny doing the 4/5/5 route from PC, replacing what the Fantasy is doing early next year.

I’m hoping then the Fantasy does 7 nights on the opposite rotation to the Treasure.

She won’t stay in Europe over the winter, a few cruise lines have tried that and there isn’t the demand or the weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter