What have you had to cancel due to Coronavirus?

Speaking of Japan, I'm still wondering wondering what all this is going to mean for the Olympics.... :sad1:

My DH and I cancelled our April trip to Japan last month when Japan was given a threat level of 2. I can't even tell you how sad that was for us. I had been meticulously planning and researching for over a year. I have never traveled abroad, and I really was finally starting to feel ready. We NEVER imagined we'd be seeing the same conditions here.

I'm a high school teacher, and school is cancelled with no distance learning since our district wasn't equipped for it. I just reached out to my students with some ideas for killing boredom and opened up comments on Google Classroom. Lots of kids commenting to check in. I'm really glad I did that. I see tons of people posting ideas for what to do at home for elementary school aged kids, but nothing for high schoolers. They need activities, too.

At school, I advise a club that's part of an international organization. The organization has come out with a statement saying meetings and events should be cancelled through April. I've had to reach out to my club officers and tell them that the club is done for the year. Boy, are the seniors disappointed.

Oh no, this is so sad.
I'm trying not to dwell too much... Mostly because every time I start thinking about it I cry! 😭 But at the end of the day I'm still gonna have a courthouse wedding and God willing everyone will stay healthy for next year when everything is rescheduled.

A trip to Europe. It was a big deal and a long time in the planning. Thankfully, it looks like our outbound flights have been canceled, so it means we can get our money back... if the airlines don't go bankrupt.

DS27 was to be married 4/11 and the venue canceled Monday. This past weekend we all were seeing the writing on the wall but when it became official, it stunned us and we are disappointed. While we know it’s for the best, it is stil hard. Trying to figure out exactly what to do is a struggle. One plan is to have a ceremony with immediate family and a reception at a later time. Another is do it all at a later time but DS’s fiancees brother is getting married in the fall and they have 2 other weddings in the fall. We were all set to go, everything was done.

Things canceled for us (other than school):
  • DD's spring break trip to Washington DC and NYC
  • DD's interview for the 49er STEM Institute
  • DD's Māka'ika'i (cultural trip) to Hawai'i with her halau - so very disappointed about this one
  • DD's braces
  • DH's trip to Chicago for a food festival
We were fortunate that we were booked on the DCL Hawaiian cruises, but decided to cancel because we did the 2015 Hawaiian trip. We did the Star Wars Day at Sea in February and are so happy we made that change! We are supposed to go to WDW with friends for my 50th in July. We're all booked, but prepared to cancel, if necessary.

outdoor Farmer's Market down the street where folks would line up 12 deep to buy veggies and fruit and support the local community. The outdoor venue in the fresh air with great social spacing where I sold my desert rock art. Held on a massive church campus with several parking lots and tons of space for vendors and folks spending a Wednesday browsing wares in Yuma. But with 9 out of 10 folks on the east side of Yuma being susceptible to the consequences, the church closed the entire campus, no worship, no social groups, no welfare advice groups, no prayer groups.....no farmer's market selling healthy veggies that are no longer available in the grocery store.....didn't see that coming....but that's okay, it rained like the world was coming to an end today in this desert community.

My sister passed away on March 6th. We were planning a Memorial Luncheon for her last Sunday. We felt it was best to cancel since we were expecting about 80 people.

We will have it when things settle down. Probably in the summer.
:hug:

My Mother in Law passed last Thursday. Originally, there was going to be a wake, but of course there is no wake and now her funeral set for tomorrow, is going to be private. There will be 15 of us, (if my kids and I even go) my husbands 3 siblings, their spouses and children. Many people are very sad/disappointed that they can't come.

The siblings planned to have all of us go to a restaurant after the service. I said that the kids and I weren't going. Then yesterday all restaurants in our state were closed. So, now one brother is hosting everybody at his house. We are not going. We have been told to NOT gather in groups, to stay home etc. Why they are getting together is beyond me.

Personally, I wanted to postpone the funeral. I feel like so many people aren't taking this seriously.

Its sad that my sweet Mother in Law passed during this pandemic, but it is what it is.
:hug:

DH's (elective) hip replacement is on hold. Gyms are all closed. I cancelled two doctors appointments and my hairdresser. DH likely won't be traveling to New York in April to testify at a trial. We're still deciding on a summer trip to the Grand canyon.

For my household personally, school, the gym, and my temp job, so my paycheck. We are involved in the Rotary Youth Exchange program and two of our students have left the program early to return home. One to Finland and the other left today to go home to Italy. Of our district's 16 U.S. students that are abroad no one has come home yet. It is currently up to individual families if they want their student to end their year-long exchange early and come home. Only problem I see with that is that in a week or two flights may not be going to their countries.

We have cancelled birthday parties for DGKs (5) We are way over the current limit of 10 guests. Oh, Easter and Mothers Day celebrations will probably not happen either.

I will postpone our spring trip to WDW. (Firmly believe WDW will still be closed anyways) Although I have few more weeks to do it. We will likely cancel our trip to Europe this winter unless something miraculous occurs.

Last edited:
Girl Scout campout weekend
Girl Scout meetings
anniversary dinner
birthday party invitation
family visits
art lessons
trip to Dallas for spring break
hair appointment
dentist appointment (they canceled)

Well, we homeschool, so for the most part, our days are business as usual; however...
  • <snip>
  • The library sent out an email yesterday that said they didn't care what items people had signed out...books, DVD's, whatever, that they didn't want anybody to return anything, there would be no late fees, and that all items had been renewed until April 30th. (Wish I would have anticipated that move and stocked up on a few extra things before they closed. At the time, I didn't want the hassle of trying to return stuff in the midst of everything else, so didn't make a book run when I could have.)

I have a library that's only about a month old down the block. I went Friday and they were confident that while they'd be closing, it'd not be for another week or so.

I went home and requested the max 20 books.

The library never reopened this week.

I laughed thinking about the irony (and that unlike many other counties, this one isn't doing the 'will bring the books to you carside' thing) that I'll probably never have this much concentrated time to get through them all at once when it reopens before they're due. Although the at the rate things are going, it'll probably be summer and 115 here, so...maybe I still will!

I work at a school- classes cancelled
DD and DS college- classes went online for rest of year. Announcement came during spring break DS was home (NJ) and now have to figure out what to do with his dorm - college is in Florida

DD lives in a house, not dorm so that’s easier. However she works as a server part time and restaurant just closed

My FIL is in hospital and they are not allowing visitors so DH has to conference with dr and nursing staff by phone. Hard for my FIL who is almost 90 not to have any family members allowed in

Had a mini trip planned to Universal end of April when we planned on moving DS out of dorm. Pretty sure that trip has but the dust
Still hoping July Disney trip is on but playing that by ear

DS and DIL are expecting their first child beginning of May and right now no visitors allowed in local hospitals. Not sure if that will still be in place when she gives birth

yesterday was DGS’s first birthday. Had to cancel his birthday party

For those who are having weddings being postponed, I just read that in Hessen, Germany ( a state) the police broke up two wedding parties on Saturday.. We have the rule now, no group/ mass events. Two bridal parties decided to still hold their weddings with " 100s of guests". Police came in and broke the parties up..

Biggest things for me:
- My parents' visit to Hawaii to come see me in April (very sad, I cried about that)
- My dissertation defense was supposed to be in person, it's now via Zoom
- Post defense weekend Disneyland trip

Graduation is right around the corner, decision is being made April 7 on whether it will be cancelled but the projections for this don't seem great. It's my PhD graduation and I worked pretty darn hard for it, but life is what it is, and no matter how long we have to ride out this storm, we will make it through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter