• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What ID do you take out with you?

Ruth B

DIS Veteran
Hi all,
Both my husband and I are 40 but have read that DC require official ID to serve you any alcohol.
What ID do you take( and gets accepted) ? Really don't want to take my passport out everyday but only other thing I have is my photo driving lincence

What do you use?
Thanks
Ruth

Only ever carry my photocard driving licence - if they don't serve me that's fine but I am not carrying my passport.

Officially you must carry your passport at all times.
When asked for ID, we only ever show driver's licence and have never been refused service. We have been caught out by the one-ID, one-drink rule which is a pain, though.

We alaways carry photo id driving licence plus we started carrying colour photocopies of our passports - mainly for DS who is 24 and gets id'd occasionally for alcohol.

Never had any problems by not carrying original passports.

Tony

We've been denied with just our UK driving licences in the past so I'm planning on carrying photocopies of our passports as well next year. I'm another person who hates carrying their passport about.

I still have an old driving licence without the photo. I always carry a photocopy of my passport and this is accepted everywhere including as ID to verify the AP. I also use this for ID on the cruiseline when docked in port.

Thank you. Will take driving licence and colour photocopy of passport. Ruth

Officially, they can not accept a colour photocopy, it would be so easy to photoshop.

We do carry ours, especially at Universal as they seem to be stricter. It doesn't worry me about losing them, they stay at the bottom of my backpack in a ziplock bag. My Backback has things much more valuable money wise in it, so it never leaves me anyway, and is looped around my ankle when in restaurants if I can't keep it next to me.

We carried our passports around with us. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge and they told us in the bar that we should get copies made of our passport ID page and that would be accepted.

Do you really need photo ID to buy a drink if you are over 30 years old ?

Sometimes yes you do. I am over 30 and have been ID'd many times in the US. Some places have a policy of IDing everyone.

I have never had a problem as I always have my DL on me anyway as it stays in my purse.

Only ever carry my photocard driving licence - if they don't serve me that's fine but I am not carrying my passport.

This. I will not carry my pasport with me.

When you say 'officially', according to whom? And for what reason? I know that US citizens have to have photo ID on them at all times but have never heard of that applying to visitors to the US.

yeah Ive heard that a few times too, it even mentions it briefly on the Gov.uk site (not checked it properly for Florida though)
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/local-laws-and-customs
I remember a few times people posting that when they've been stopped by the US police, they've been given a warning for not carrying their passport.

It just doesn't seem like its something that's really enforced but as with any law, we cant use ignorance as a form of defence.

yeah Ive heard that a few times too, it even mentions it briefly on the Gov.uk site (not checked it properly for Florida though)
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/local-laws-and-customs
I remember a few times people posting that when they've been stopped by the US police, they've been given a warning for not carrying their passport.

It just doesn't seem like its something that's really enforced but as with any law, we cant use ignorance as a form of defence.

Although I almost feel like we are in danger of starting a debate here, I am intrigued now as I have seen this 'law' bandied about a few times but, other than what you posted Nicky, I have not been able to find anything pertaining to US or state law that says you HAVE to carry ID with you at all times. In fact, the only thing I have found is on Wikipedia (and we all know how (un)reliable that is) which actually says that an officer only has the right to ask you for ID if he/she suspects you may have committed a crime, even under a 'stop and identify' statute.

The investigation continues... (can you tell I've nothing better to do at work lol)

haha I know what you mean. Im bored waiting for a delivery 8am-5pm grrrrr! (give me a better timeframe)
Ive only heard of a couple of instances in about 5 years, of people saying they've been warned but not everyone posts on forums like this. I hate not know the actual answer to things like this. I think as our driving licences have become a form of photo id, theyre accepted too....but I wouldn't bet anything on it.
Im guessing, one of us will just have to ask when we're out there-Im willing to do that if someone is willing to pay for a trip. :teeth:

UK DLs are not valid ID for Alcohol in FL.

It is what I have always used, and had accepted, as ID whenever I have bought alcohol all over Florida, including Universal and Disney theme parks and resorts. I know that Disney said a couple of years ago that they would only accept a passport as valid ID for purchase of alcohol but I have never found that to be the case and, if it were, I would just go without my drink. I am NOT carrying my passport with me for any reason, unless somebody tells me that I am legally required to do so.

It is what I have always used, and had accepted, as ID whenever I have bought alcohol all over Florida, including Universal and Disney theme parks and resorts. I know that Disney said a couple of years ago that they would only accept a passport as valid ID for purchase of alcohol but I have never found that to be the case and, if it were, I would just go without my drink. I am NOT carrying my passport with me for any reason, unless somebody tells me that I am legally required to do so.
That's fine.

The advice should be that you can try DL as ID. However guests should not be kicking off at CMs, TMs, or whoever for sticking to the rules. People are not always as calm as you and would just forgo their drink :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter