What if Boarding Gr time conflicts w/ dining resos ?

blahblah18

Earning My Ears
I’m brand new to the Boarding Groups and virtual queues for Rise and Webslingers … first DLR visit in almost 2 years coming soon!

I think I have the queuing system for the two rides mostly figured out … thanks to the info here.

I have a bunch of dining reservations for our visit — all guaranteed to my credit card with a $10 per person penalty if we no-show.

(From experience, I know that trying to do a same-day dining cancellation is (a) by phone only, not online, and (b) therefore a very, very long process with a lot of wait time on hold.)

What happens if our ride boarding group time conflicts with one of those guaranteed dining reservations?
Am I stuck choosing between either skipping out on the ride, or forfeiting $40 for the four of us?

I’m brand new to the Boarding Groups and virtual queues for Rise and Webslingers … first DLR visit in almost 2 years coming soon!

I think I have the queuing system for the two rides mostly figured out … thanks to the info here.

I have a bunch of dining reservations for our visit — all guaranteed to my credit card with a $10 per person penalty if we no-show.

(From experience, I know that trying to do a same-day dining cancellation is (a) by phone only, not online, and (b) therefore a very, very long process with a lot of wait time on hold.)

What happens if our ride boarding group time conflicts with one of those guaranteed dining reservations?
Am I stuck choosing between either skipping out on the ride, or forfeiting $40 for the four of us?
We had this happen with Web Slingers and breakfast at Lamplight. (We for group 17, with an 845 breakfast.) We went by WS and asked a manager there. Explained. He laughed and said he will remember us and said to go enjoy breakfast. We came back and it wasn't an issue.

We similarly had a reservation conflict with the boarding group we got for Rise -- we went and asked the guy managing the line and he said to go enjoy our meal and come back when we were done since it was a lot easier for them to adjust than the restaurant.

Go to your dining reservation, chances of them saying anything when you return are slim.

So we had the opposite experience. When we asked a CM at Web Slingers, he told us he wouldn’t guarantee letting us on if we couldn’t make it back in time. We ended up calling the restaurant (thankfully DTD) and shifting the reservation to make it all work.

I’m positive we just got a grumpy, power hungry CM and it’s not the norm. But definitely ask and don’t just assume they’ll accommodate you later.

So we had the opposite experience. When we asked a CM at Web Slingers, he told us he wouldn’t guarantee letting us on if we couldn’t make it back in time. We ended up calling the restaurant (thankfully DTD) and shifting the reservation to make it all work.

I’m positive we just got a grumpy, power hungry CM and it’s not the norm. But definitely ask and don’t just assume they’ll accommodate you later.
I’ve yet to have a cm bat an eye for showing up late, but I haven’t pushed it by more than 90 minutes after my window closes at this point.

A couple weeks ago my boarding group for ROTR was called at 10 am. We didn’t even get into the park until 3 and headed straight there. It had just closed down. Went back at 6 when the app showed it open. CM just commented we were really late and let us through. It was a low crowd Wednesday with very short lines.

Just an FYI on this piece, every time I've tried to cancel in less than 24 hours since the pandemic via the phone line, I've gotten a recording that says they aren't staffing that line and then it just hangs up. I also tried going to a restaurant and asking them to cancel my next-day (but under 24 hours) reservation and they couldn't/wouldn't do it. So as far as I can tell, there is just literally no way to same-day cancel, at least not within the parks.

I was worried about this too at first because I tend to book lots of dining reservations. The first time it happened the restaurant put my dining time on hold and told me to go do the ride. The second time it worked out because the restaurant was running behind and had a 45 min wait so I was told to go do the ride and just text “on ride” if I got the table is ready text. But what I realized is with the 7am BG assignments, I’m sure there is lots that may get early boarding groups and not make it to the park in time. I think it’s more important to them that you do have a BG and they’ll let you through the lines even if late. Once I realized this, I still try to go during when my BG is called since it’s for crowd control, but I done a couple rides now late and never got any trouble from the CMs. I just pull up the entry code which stays in your app until used or canceled.

When I was at DL beginning of August, we had boarding groups for both RotR and web Slingers called before noon. We didn't go to either ride until after 7pm and I had 0 issues getting on. No questions asked, they just scanned the barcode and let me through

In June our Boarding Group was called as we were heading to Lamplight for lunch so we stopped by Avenger's Campus (when they were still limited who could go in) and told the cast member the situation. He told us to go over to the Plaid and see what they could do for us. The Plaid was able to change the Boarding Group call time to an anytime that day one so we went to lunch and actually didn't go to Avenger's Campus until that evening since we had all day now.

Last month they were cheerfully waving everyone with a BG onto both rides, no matter how late they were. One time we were several hours late (with no excuse) and there were no issues at all. Disney is well aware that the BG system meshes very badly with the ADR system. Keep a screenshot of your ADR just in case they ask, show up late for your BG, and I would be amazed if they turn you away.

I haven't been to the DLR since boarding groups were a thing but several trip reports have mentioned that boarding passes were honored after a dining reservation. I would just screenshot my reservation, in case a grumpier cast member asks for "proof."

Slightly off topic. I wonder if the Genie+ service will recognize when you have dining/activity reservations and adjust accordingly ... that may or may not work out well. But, for example, if the service knows I'll be in Galaxy's Edge for a Savi's Workshop reservation, followed by an Oga's Cantina reservation, it would be ideal for my ROTR boarding group to before/after the reservation timeframe. That said ... if the ride goes down, the timing is off ... hmm ...

I've never had this happen, but I think the best thing to do would be to take screen shots. Take a screenshot of your boarding group, so when you return to the ride there is proof you were part of a boarding group that had been called. I would also take a screenshot of your dining reservation.

I also asked at RotR this weekend. The CM said that it was fine to be late, but did recommend having some kind of proof (e.g., a dining receipt) showing that you were at a table service meal during your boarding group time (just in case).

Hi, this situation happened to us as well. BG for ROTR came up right before our lunch reservation at River Belle Terrace. The boarding window ended as our lunch was ending. The CM waiting our table was very gracious and said we'd be okay if we were late, but took the extra step of getting a manager to sign our lunch receipt. I also took screen pics of our lunch reservation time just in case. At ROTR, they didn't even comment and let us right on. I think as other people have mentioned, screen pic your BG time and dining reservation. Also don't miss or cancel your ADR if you have a time conflict! the rides/BG are way more flexible and accommodating.

I’d just hit up a guest services person when there. I’m sure they’d hook you up.

This question about time conflicts came up a lot in the WDW discussions and the policy there was to go to the dining and show a copy of your receipt at the ride. Seemed like it was official policy. So that matches pretty well with what others are saying here. DLR is perhaps a bit more lenient on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter