• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is a phrase you see on the Dis boards all the time that you NEVER hear people actually say in real life?

People are more Live and let die here than I experience in real life, or maybe they just hide it better in real life, it could go either way - a toss up.

I worked in a prison, it's used there too. how many sleeps until release day. or so many sleeps and a wake up.

Ressie drives me bonkers. Idk why.
We used this as well in Navy boot camp, which is basically the same thing as prison. 🤣

Then when I started my "A" school in Virginia Beach, which was 6 months long, someone had etched "180 sleeps and a wake up" into one of the bathroom stalls in our training building. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
* Ressie - I’ve never heard anyone in my real, day-to-day life say ”ressie“ for reservation.”

* Pooh-sized

* Rope Drop - When I hear this, I know the person is a Disney-person

And, then, there are some regional words/phrases that I never hear in my day-to-day life - -

* “On Line” instead of “In Line”

* “Gravy” for red, tomato-based pasta sauce

* Pop/Soda for Soft Drinks/Cokes
It’s taken me decades to switch from on line to in line, wasn’t an issue before internet. And I live in the land of Sunday gravy.

In Ohio we called it Pop, too. or soda pop!
In tennessee where we lived for several years, it was called a "coke" or cold drink. All pop was called a Coke??? I guess it was regional,
I don't understand how you order an actual Coke in the south.

Always been "pop" for me. Every vacation no matter where, everyone knows I'm originally from Pittsburgh (dahn 'er in Pixburgh, da home of da Pixburgh Stillers)

It goes like this:
"...and a coke."
"What kind?"
"root beer."

It is admittedly a little silly.
Or is it:

"...and a coke."
"What kind?"
"Coke."
"again, what kind of coke?"

At least when my brother and I was 6 at the beach and we asked if we could have a sucker, they asked what a sucker was which mom or dad said, a lolipop, they then said, "Oh, that makes sense. Y'all from Pittsburgh, aren't y'all?" Yup, we talk different than yinz dahn here.

Or is it:

"...and a coke."
"What kind?"
"Coke."
"again, what kind of coke?"

At least when my brother and I was 6 at the beach and we asked if we could have a sucker, they asked what a sucker was which mom or dad said, a lolipop, they then said, "Oh, that makes sense. Y'all from Pittsburgh, aren't y'all?" Yup, we talk different than yinz dahn here.

No, the second "Coke" should answer the question. You can always say "Coca-Cola" if there is any doubt. Actually, when I was a kid, the generic "coke" was super common, but is less so today, as I think "soda" is more prevalent in this area anyway.

I don't understand how you order an actual Coke in the south.

Always been "pop" for me. Every vacation no matter where, everyone knows I'm originally from Pittsburgh (dahn 'er in Pixburgh, da home of da Pixburgh Stillers)
I'm originally from Morgantown, WV and it's always been "pop" for me as well!

"Snagged a reservation"

I have never, ever, in my life, heard someone say this out loud in normal conversation. It is said here ALL the time.

What are some others?
You can snag some slacks and some snacks at Pat N' Patti's Slacks, Snacks & Knick Knack Shack.

Around here (the land of soda) the only reply to coke other than ‘OK’ is ‘We only have Pepsi, is that ok?’.
I live in Florida and if I said Coke that would be exactly what I would get unless they only have pepsi of course. Everyone I know in our area says soda. I'm originally from Michigan and we always said pop.

internship-work.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter