• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is a phrase you see on the Dis boards all the time that you NEVER hear people actually say in real life?

"Pixie dust"

"Rope drop"

"Split stay"

and of course, I'm from a "pop" part of the country :)

All of these 💯.

We travel so much that I’m used to asking for a soda while dining out; but still tell my husband that we need to buy some pop.

Other random regional things:

My husband (from CA) says “the” when referring to any highway or interstate; like “Take the 101 and get off on the 92.” I always tell him that roads aren’t important enough to have “the” in front of them. 😂

I’ve also noticed that our friends from CA use miles to refer to the distance between two points, while I use time. They once asked me how far my work is from my house and I told them “about 15 minutes.” They asked how many miles and I had no answer……and still don’t. 🤷‍♀️

"Pixie dust"
This morning at work, piece of equipment wouldn't fire up. Maintenance looked at the panel, no power at the remote switch. Called the electrician. He opened the panel, looked, closed the panel and the equipment started. No one saw him turn a switch from auto to manual as it wasn't wired for auto start.

The one maint. guy says, "What the heck, you didn't even do anything! Where can I get some of that Pixie dust?"

That's regional. My grandma used to call it that. She was from St. Louis.
I agree it's regional, but my wife LOLed when I read this aloud to her. Her mom's family is from St. Louis going back 200 years and to them it's "sodie". My first trip back to St. Louis I thought it was just her family until we went to White Castle and the woman behind the counter asked if I wanted a "sodie"

I agree it's regional, but my wife LOLed when I read this aloud to her. Her mom's family is from St. Louis going back 200 years and to them it's "sodie". My first trip back to St. Louis I thought it was just her family until we went to White Castle and the woman behind the counter asked if I wanted a "sodie"

Actually, my grandma did say "sodie pop" but I didn't realize anyone else said it that way.

Back in the day, many of us here would send PD :wizard: aka pixie dust for everything.

Sending you lots of :wizard: to get well soon
Sending lots of :wizard: for you to get the job
and on and on it goes.

I still say this, not as often as before, but I’m on a mission to bringing it back, so you all may be seeing it a little bit more - LOL!!!

ETA….could you imagine me saying this to someone in the real world - they’d look at me like I’m nuts :crazy:

That's because you wouldn't say that verbally. It's everywhere on internet discussion forums though.
I agree on YMMV on internet forums. But that really is a dated phrase from the 1970's. Back when the EPA starting testing car gas mileage and requiring it to be posted on the window sticker. People picked cars based on that rating and discovered that the cars got nowhere near that rating so the EPA started requiring all ads include "Your Mileage May Vary".
Some of the versions of cars tested nobody would ever buy, and for many of us in California, you couldn't buy because they didn't meet our stricter smog standards.

“In The Bubble” is a phrase I only see on THE DIS
That was a health department, pandemic term here. Your bubble was the group of people in your home and if you couldn't work from home, the people you worked around. All about tracking covid.
When my youngest Granddaughter was born 14 months ago, my son, his wife and their older daughter lived 400 miles away so we were not around them regularly so we were not in our "bubble". My son got a info sheet from their Doctor saying newborns "shouldn't be around people outside their bubble until they had all their first vaccines at 3 months of age".

For me it has to be the initials used to refer to family members like DS, DD, DH, DW etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter