What is "disney" to you?( a discussion of lodging preferences)

Judy from Boise

Watch out – might take away your
First off this thread is not a criticism of anyone, their tastes, preferences or opinions :). But I have to finally get this out !

On many threads when talking about lodging choices (DL and WDW) people express wanting to stay at DLH or POP century because they are the only ones that are "Disney" and when they travel to Disney....they want Disney!

This has always perplexed me........any amusement park can have a cadre of lovable characters, but what Makes Disney special is that it is a "Theme" park. It's expertise is making you feel transported to another time and place. So, the Wilderness lodge, Polynesian or Grand CA are a pinnacle of Disney expertise....fully realized themed experiences.

So what is "disney" to you....the fab 5 decorating scheme, or a themed experience ?

As you can guess I am a "theme" girl :), relaying on a character centric scheme, almost feels like a creative "cop out" to me.

come on this is supposed to be an interesting and insightful topic,,,,,I know we will get lots of different Point's of view! :)

For me too, I think it's more about the theming and not necessarily having the characters plastered on everything. I think what really makes something "Disney" and full of magic is when it is full of little details. You can see that they've gone the extra mile to really make something nice and to really put a lot of thought into it. Many of these details might not even be noticable but add to the overall feeling that make it feel complete with no short-cuts taken. (Did any of that make sense?)

I think this is why DCA has been struggling to have that magical Disney feel to it. It's not because of a lack of characters but because the details were often overlooked. One place that I noticed this is the little row of SF buildings near where they're building the little mermaid ride. The buildings look nice but they look fake - like a set for a play. Now compare those to the buildings on Main Street and there are little details everywhere to make it look believable. The abundance of carnival rides (as opposed to original disney ride) are of course another example. I really like DCA so I'm not trying to bash it but from the beginning it's felt like something was missing and of course, now they're trying to add those details back in.

We have never been big into the Disney characters. The whole idea of "character meals" that so many get excited about seem...well.... a bit silly to me. I can see getting a photo with a character which is sort of like sitting on Santa's lap.

However, the characters are part of stories and they evoke the emotions from that story.

So what is Disney to me? To me Disney is a feeling of magic and imagination. It has always felt a lot like Christmas to me. Music, food, stories, laughter, joy, bright lights, symbolism, shopping and gifts, a sense of connecting to history, times of reflection, reminders of childhood, and time with family.

It is a sense that you are caught up in things larger than yourself. Adventure. Romance.

Any hotel or character or ride or show which supports these things works for me.

:goodvibes

I like the Fab 5, especially when I'm not at DLR. But I'm a "theme girl" too. :thumbsup2 I like the themes in each land. My sister is right about DCA. The California theme is fine, but details are missing, especially in many of the rides and lines there. I love DCA also, but I never cared for the way the lines there had no themes like many in DL do. Monsters is a big exception to this which is why I like that ride so much. You can go on it over and over and still see new things in the line and the ride.

If I ever get to WDW I hope to stay at the Poly. I have definately ruled out the Pops.

for me, Disney is storytelling....the theme, characters and environment all have a story and those stories are what set a ride like Dumbo apart from a similiar ride anywhere else

its also the stories that going there and experiencing it give to my life. i live for Disney (really, you have no idea) and i am still only barely versed, but every new tale i learn, new snippet of history or fun fact adds to a story i can share with my family and friends....

To me it's the magic of it all. I'm 33 but when we are there I can skip down main street with my boys and not have anyone shake their heads at me. I love the feeling when I hear music from my favorite movies. I love the smells and the memories. I love just being there and forgetting about the world as I know it. There isn't any war or Army or chores. There is just my Disney!:wizard:

So what is Disney to me? To me Disney is a feeling of magic and imagination. It has always felt a lot like Christmas to me. Music, food, stories, laughter, joy, bright lights, symbolism, shopping and gifts, a sense of connecting to history, times of reflection, reminders of childhood, and time with family.

It is a sense that you are caught up in things larger than yourself. Adventure. Romance.

:goodvibes

I agree with you completely. When I am there I am not in the "real world" anything can happen. We enter this alter universe in which all is right and good. As a family we are connected in a different way at Disney. At Disney I have that warm fuzzy feeling the whole time.
I know that it is going to be multiple years before we even have a chance of returning and I find myself looking for that warm fuzzy feeling.

So if amenities and price were equal, how would you translate that into lodging? Would you prefer a resort based on parks/characters/movies, or a themed resort that makes you feel you are in a specific place or genre (south pacific, wild west, turn of the century london)?

So if amenities and price were equal, how would you translate that into lodging? Would you prefer a resort based on parks/characters/movies, or a themed resort that makes you feel you are in a specific place or genre (south pacific, wild west, turn of the century london)?

I would prefer a themed resort,so much more magical and special. Having said that, my children would rather have familiar characters everywhere. So I don't know where I would actually stay if prices were equal and money/cost were not an issue.

Definitely the latter. My best data point is Animal Kingdom Lodge at WDW where we had a savannah view from our room. Was it Disney? Yes and no. They had "Willie" (a man from Namibia I believe) come out and tell African stories around the fire in the evening. Not very "Disney" but a feeling of immersion. :)

That is a hard one - I enjoyed staying at All Star Movies and have the resort scream Disney the whole time, but I love the hotels that have a theme. I would love to spend time at some of the more themed resorts. The idea of staying somewhere that feels like you are in a different place would keep up with the magical theme. Being able to spend time at the parks and then go home to a resort that feels like another world, such as the Poly at Disneyworld would just continue to add onto the experience. I guess it really wasn't as hard as I thought - if all prices were equal I would go with a themed resort.

Being able to take time out of our busy lives to spend a couple of weeks driving down to DL, and enjoying the trip along the way, with no deadlines, phones, computers (for the most part) to distract you. Spending time with the kids that would normally be taken up with school, and other daily household chores.

i would definitely go for the place with the theme that was the most involved, i love characters and if there was a resort that went into them in a very detailed way, i would stay there (depending on my mood while planning of course)

I guessing you mean a resort like Toontown then.....something that uses the characters to theme and tell a story, not just their picture on various items in the room........

absolutely spot on...i like the characters, but they are nothing without a story for me

which is why i love Caribbean Beach, it has a sense of place and time...just like the GF, AKL, POR and pretty much all the non values....though the values do have a certain appeal with the giant stuff

This took a lot of thought to come up with an answer. Good question!

Um.. to me, Disney isn't just something I'm obsessed with. It's kind of like a part of me. I get tears in my eyes just from listening to the music. I just started listening to Buzz Lightyear, I've never ridden the ride, but it's fun to me to try and figure out what is going on in the ride. LavenderPeach couldn't have said it better. It's how Disney goes that extra mile to make you feel like you are there. I don't think of it as an amusement park. Six Flags is an amusement park. There's no magic, little details, or even music going along with most of the rides. So I guess it's the theme that is Disney to me. :wizard:

Yup, that is my opinion exactly.....Disney is multilayered details that add up to an immersive theme, that makes me feel I am somewhere other than the "real" world. I guess that is why the onsite lodging choices at DLR are not my favorite, but GC is much closer to what I think of as "Disney".

Well, if it was free or very cheap I'd choose the Grand Cal in DL and AK in WDW. But since they are not cheap we always stay across the street at DL and at a value in WDW. We still have a great time but I'd much prefer the "themed" resorts over the ones that scream "Mickey".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter