• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is going on? Races selling out within a day or two?

goofeygirl

DIS Veteran
Just a couple of years ago you could sign up for a half marathon several mos after registration opened. Now you have to sign up almost from the onset...no delay.
The Avengers race sold out...at least from I checked earlier today. How long was the registration open for before it sold out? Before than wine and dine sold out in a day.
I am sure it partially may have to do with the fact that there are less runners...or maybe not?
Or did a whole bunch of people just decide to run races in Disney all of a quick sudden?

Theories?:confused3

The Avengers Half is an inaugural event in Disneyland, where there has been a huge demand for more races. I am not surprised that one went fast.

With that said, my theory is that running in general has become almost a fad and word has gotten out that RunDisney events are a lot of fun and new runner friendly. I've seen Marathon weekend listed on "Fun races to try" alongside mud runs, color runs, and other "trendy" races.

I had been casually running for years to keep off weight, but RunDisney is what inspired me to get into competitive and long distance running.

Just a couple of years ago you could sign up for a half marathon several mos after registration opened. Now you have to sign up almost from the onset...no delay.
The Avengers race sold out...at least from I checked earlier today. How long was the registration open for before it sold out? Before than wine and dine sold out in a day.
I am sure it partially may have to do with the fact that there are less runners...or maybe not?
Or did a whole bunch of people just decide to run races in Disney all of a quick sudden?

I'm sure there are others more qualified than I am to answer your question about the theories of why the races are selling out so quickly.

To answer your question about the Avengers races today, the 5K sold out in 30 minutes and the 1/2 marathon just a little under 2 hours.

Although, there was AP/DVC advanced sales on this as well, so it wasn't all necessarily filled today.

Crazy, isn't it?

Many running events especially Disney are getting just way too popular.Running races has gone mainstream especially with many more women running.I have no clue if it's just a temporary fad that will wane and then stabilize or if it's just going to get more and more popular every year where people who have no interest in getting a Disney AP will be getting them to guarantee entry into a race.It's not just Disney as there are several races out there that are selling out really fast,I was looking forward to signing up for the Space Coast half marathon and that one also sold out incredibly quick,the full is still open but I don't know if I want to commit to a full on that date since I have like 3 other races really close.Just 3-4 years ago the Disney full wouldn't sell out until like November or December,this year I totally expect it to sell out by June or earlier.One thing about these Disney races selling out so fast is that Disney obviously has to increase the prices with everyone paying the low end of the prices.A couple of years ago with the races taking longer to sell out the people that got in early would pay maybe $120-$130 for say the Disney full and the ones signing up in October or November would pay $160-$170.Today with the race filling up so quickly Disney obviously has to raise the initial price since nobody is signing up months later at higher prices.If this keeps up a $250 race is probably not that far away.I think WDW needs another major race (half marathon at least) to at least give more people the chance to sign up for a race and to spread out the crowds a bit.Star Wars Half marathon has got to be in the planning phases!!I've seen a video of the 1st Disney marathon in 1994 on Youtube and it just seemed like another era in running,far fewer people into the sport,mostly men and just a smaller event,I believe they had the expo at DTD,hold on I don't think it was really an expo more like a packet pickup with a few items to sell.

Agree with above statements. The half was/ is the fastest growing segment of race for people to sign up for. It's easier to train for and recover from and still allows many to hit the parks after. So many seem to consider it a bucket list item which from a health standpoint is good but for the competitive runners is annoying. They can't stand the average finishing times in 4-5hrs. Why come to Disney to worry about time? Just don't get swept. If you want to sprint go ahead but most love the photo ops and crowd support. Where else can you run through a castle? I think cost will drive many off to other races and will stabilize in those who can afford to pay and stay. I love them and will keep doing them.

Advertising.
rundisney's pages on Facebook.
People sharing their runs and interest in runs on Facebook.
Haven't a couple celebrities been pictured at the start of a couple Disneyland races?
Every time someone goes to WDW or DLR and has their trip impacted in some way by a race, that's a family that now knows that there are races at Disney. And then they might think about it.

It's all marketing, really. What's happening is likely what they want to happen!

Agree with above statements. The half was/ is the fastest growing segment of race for people to sign up for.

Compared to a Full, yes. But I have heard that the 10K is actually the most popular. More "real" than a 5K, but not as long or hard as even a Half.

When I signed up for last Jan's WDW Half I had intended to do the 10K. But by the time I realized I had early registration from DVC, the early spots for the 10K were gone. I chose to challenge myself with the Half instead of waiting for full registration to hope for the 10K. I think if they had a 10K for Avengers it would have filled before the Half.

Jury's out on the 5K though...lots of kids can run that, so families traveling for an adult to do the Half can end up with the rest of the family doing the 5K. I know that's what DH and DS would be doing, once DH feels good about running and if I didn't already have the Disneyland Half and Wine&Dine AND back-to-back cruises between those runs already planned!!! :crowded:

I've seen a video of the 1st Disney marathon in 1994 on Youtube and it just seemed like another era in running,far fewer people into the sport,mostly men and just a smaller event,I believe they had the expo at DTD,hold on I don't think it was really an expo more like a packet pickup with a few items to sell.

Not exactly the same but I remember the Tower of Terror 13k they did back in 2007. Packet pick up was at one of the clubs in Downtown Disney (can't remember which now), the race started 20 minutes late and we got tee shirts instead of technical tees. (Not complaining but you just wouldn't see that these days.) There wasn't an expo, you went in picked up your packet and they had a few additional items for sale. I did that race all three years till they stopped it. I came back a few years later to run the Princess and couldn't believe what a different experience it was. (Not bad, just different.)

As many have said:

- The Avengers is brand new and at DL where the overall runner cap is lower than WDW. Plus with Wine & Dine, a good chuck are aiming for Coast-to-Coast medals.

- Wine & Dine is an anniversary year, probably will be a bit slower next year.

- This past year's WDW Marathon Weekend (at least for the 5K, 10K & Dopey) the 5K and 10K filled quickly mostly due to Dopey Runners (of the 10,000 spots, approx. 7,000 were for Dopey runners), plus the 10K was a brand new run as was the Dopey Challenge.

- You will probably see the 2015 Goofy will up quickly as its an anniversary year for that challenge. On the flip side, you might see the 2015 Dopey slow down a bit.

Against these are just estimated guesses for the above. Advertising, Disney being runner-friendly events, and running becoming increasingly popular just adds to higher demand.

I plan on running the 2015 WDW Marathon and usually that is the last race to fill up (or at least it has in the last few years). However I have family wanting to do the 5K and 10K so I am a little nervous of them making in, unless I'm right at a computer the day of registration.

I do wonder if Disney will ax the Expedition Everest event and replace it with a new WDW Half weekend, maybe the rumored Star Wars theme. But I expect DL to add another Half weekend in Jan or Feb.

The Avengers Half is an inaugural event in Disneyland, where there has been a huge demand for more races. I am not surprised that one went fast.

With that said, my theory is that running in general has become almost a fad and word has gotten out that RunDisney events are a lot of fun and new runner friendly. I've seen Marathon weekend listed on "Fun races to try" alongside mud runs, color runs, and other "trendy" races.

I had been casually running for years to keep off weight, but RunDisney is what inspired me to get into competitive and long distance running.

Ditto all of the above! Running, and racing, in general is hugely popular right now, so you've got a big influx of new people looking to race each year. Add to that rD's growing popularity thanks to heavy advertising and social media, DL's comparatively smaller cap on race participants, a really new and different theme with Avengers, and I'm not at all surprised it sold out so fast. (Under 30 mins for the 5K, BTW.)

I do wonder if Disney will ax the Expedition Everest event and replace it with a new WDW Half weekend, maybe the rumored Star Wars theme. But I expect DL to add another Half weekend in Jan or Feb.

If they add a Star Wars 1/2, I hope the add a 10K with it.

Although they really could keep the EEC concept, keep it a 5K with "challenges" and just change the themeing to Star Wars. When it comes down to it, EEC is practically a 10K already, you're just running the first 1/2, and scavenging the second.

Even EEC filled faster than usual this year.

If it weren't for Florida summers, and the logistics of it, WDW could do a racing event every month and it would fill.

Star Wars ... if they did do that would most likely sell out in minuets!

So I had better make up my mind about the half in Disney pretty soon!

I have relatives that are considering it and I told them to really have their mind made up by the time registration opens...have the cc ready and sign up right away.

Over the last few years you have had a lot more "fun" style races that are not about time but about having fun like color run, electric run, and so many others. I think those are really helping to bring new people into the sport that before might have been intimidated at a "regular" race thinking they won't be good enough to keep up. I passed on my first few 10ks when I knew I could run them because of being worried about being last. So these fun races are getting more people into the sport and that is a good tihing.

Now even though rundisney does do timing, I think they are also in the category of races that are not intimidating for new runners and so get a lot of people due to that. That is why I think the avengers 5k sold out first because I bet there are a not of new or first time runners do that one because of it being avengers.

Really though, races selling out quick is not limited to disney. This year the marine corp marathon sold out in under 60 minutes.

Running in general is just becoming more popular and I think that is a great thing. It is good exercise.

So I had better make up my mind about the half in Disney pretty soon!

I have relatives that are considering it and I told them to really have their mind made up by the time registration opens...have the cc ready and sign up right away.

I may be wrong, but I don't see the half selling out in days like possibly the Goofy or Dopey. It will sell out much faster than the marathon, but I don't think it will be hours or even days. I signed my wife up in May and there were many spots available. I looked back and it appears that it sold out on May 14th. Still quick, but not hours or days.

I wasn't surprised the 5k sold out so quickly. It wasn't advertised as being part of a challenge so it's an excellent way to get the kids involved. They can dress up as their favorite Avenger and be out with mom and/or dad.

I'd like to think that the half and full will each take longer to sell out for the WDW Marathon Weekend, but the overall pace does seem to have picked up even outside of inaugural events and anniversaries. TOT looks like it took until late May last year to sell out versus March 17 this year. EEC took from Dec 11 - Feb 9 for 2013 and this year Dec 17 - Jan 18. Both of those have seemed to draw less fanfare and interest in the past than the Half and Full marathon weekends.

No telling exactly what that means going forward for Marathon Weekend when registration opens in a few weeks, but if there's a race you want to run, it's probably best to be ready early and at least keep an eye on how registration is progressing once it opens so you don't miss out.

I think everything that is being said is completely true. Just not sure if it's a fad or will grow year after year. Good point about raising the prices of the race to make up the difference since no spots are still available at the later dates like the old days.

Although the races are quite expensive, it's Disney, so you know it's going to be top notch plus the thrill (and need for the Marathon) of running through the parks can't be beat. Who can run 26.2 miles and still have a smile on their face. There still are some good relatively cheap races out there but many have jumped in price.

I just wish they would up the swag. I would love to have a drawstring gear bag versus the plastic one you get. Maybe a dry fit hat, gifts from sponsors, etc. Just to make it even more unique.

I just read in runners world, that I think in 2000 there were around 330 marathons across the country and last year there were over 1100.

Congrats runners!!!

I think it's fun to see people get so excited about what is an extreme athletic experience. I'd much prefer signing up fast than waiting 5 days outside Best Buy for the next blah blah blah video game. What you are doing is comitting to a lifestyle choice that can entail as much as six months of training and soreness. That's huge. And you bet if you chunk out $500 just for the privilege of sweating and stinking you're going to put your heart into it. I still think disney has the financial understanding more so than my health first but I appreciate their variety and ingenuity.

What's amazing to me is how this is an extreme athletic experience you are committing to achieve. As much as six months of sore muscles upset stomach and lost toenails. And you just paid $500 to do this with 20,000+ other people. If rather spend those hours with them than sitting in a lawn chair outside best buy waiting for the next blah blah blah video game. Keep running

What's amazing to me is how this is an extreme athletic experience you are committing to achieve. As much as six months of sore muscles upset stomach and lost toenails. And you just paid $500 to do this with 20,000+ other people. If rather spend those hours with them than sitting in a lawn chair outside best buy waiting for the next blah blah blah video game. Keep running

Right. And btw that 'bla bla' that you camped out for overnight and paid a lotta loot for will be replaced in a few mos by the latest and greatest model...the one that you camped out for will be reduced in price and sold on sale as an older model.

Meanwhile...for the Disney races yes you invested a lot of money...but its something you will take with you your whole life. You will never forget the races you did...or some of the people you ran them with. I am pretty sure the same cannot be said for the bla bla you camped out for. I don't think 30 years down the road you will be saying to your grandkids...

I remember the day I had camped out for a bla bla...

But you will remember the race you did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter