What is something your parents told you that you follow their advice?

I've probably learned more from my parents mistakes than anything else. As I've gotten older and raised my own kids I've realized they were very young and while not privileged very spoiled by their own parents. I try to remind myself that at the time they were doing the best they knew how. Dad has had some great pearls of wisdom though.

The Two C's- Communication and Compromise
My Dad has been married three times (fortunately the last stuck 41 years, so far) but this is something he got right. My DH was not a communicator and I had to learn to draw him out. We live by this motto and it has served us well. When friends ask how we've been married so long I tell them to "Talk to each other and be willing to hear your own...crap."

"Never give a man an ultimatum, he'll choose the opposite just to piss you off."

"Never turn down the offer of picking up the check twice." :rotfl:

It's more things my parents did than things they said. They really taught me to look past the obvious and see what everyone had to offer, even if they seemed very different from me at first.

But I do especially remember one piece of advice from my dad. I was having one of those teenage days where nobody seems very nice, and he said something along the lines of: "Don't hate them, they'll grow up eventually." And he was right.

My mom always said "you don't spit in the air, because it comes right back down in your face"

What she meant was, don't talk about how other people do things- such as raise their kids, earn their pay, keep their house, etc- because you may be doing the same thing you are judging them for, or may do it someday.

My Dad always said, "If you can't form a sentence or hold a conversation without cursing, you need to buy a dictionary." To this day I don't allow cursing in my home & try to avoid people who have a habit of it. I find it unappealing.

I find it very unappealing too and I'm really trying hard to stop. I hate hearing it yet sometimes can't help myself. Although I never, ever swear around people I don't know or certain family members like my father. Thanks for reminding me!

Nah, it's been very helpful in my life. My parents haven't felt that way all their life. They were very kind, trusting, helpful and forgiving people that frequently were used and abused. Living in a small town is sometimes like a family and you want to help each other out, but nowadays it's turned into a sue happy world.

Nah, it's been very helpful in my life. My parents haven't felt that way all their life. They were very kind, trusting, helpful and forgiving people that frequently were used and abused. Living in a small town is sometimes like a family and you want to help each other out, but nowadays it's turned into a sue happy world.
In that case, "sorry" extends to all of you. :flower3:

My dad used to say if you are going to steal something, make sure you can live off of it for the rest of your life.
I thought my dad was the only one who said stuff like this! He said "If you steal, steal something of value. Don't get in trouble for something that isn't worth it." :rotfl:

My parents never had any real advice.

Mom: Don't be an Oak or you'll break, you gotta bend like a Willow to get through life.

Dad: Use the right tool for the right job
Drive Carefully

Bonus
Grandpa: You be careful out there
Take care of your health, its all you got

Baba: Boys are bad, zay gonna vanna kiss and touchyoo :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter