• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is still hard to find?

I just ordered yeast on Amazon today! I have wanted to make a sourdough starter for 2 months and finally broke down and paid shipping.

I went to Market Street today and the one thing that wasn't there was dried beans. Weird. I wanted to make red beans and rice and ended up settling for canned that I will add to and simmer for flavor.
I've always been a little skeptical about ordering food/grocery items off of Amazon - let me know how it goes!

Still no toilet paper to be found in my area. It’s getting frustrating to say the least.
We don't need any yet, but I peeked down the aisle the other day, and our store was completely out. Other days they've had some. I keep seeing articles that stores are becoming overloaded with toilet paper. I hope it gets here before we need it.

The last two times I've gone to Wegmans, there has been no cheddar (or most other cheese) in the regular cheese case. Last trip, there was only pepper jack and mozzarella available. I didn't go back to the fancy cheese case.

I went to three grocery stores today. The first stop was Aldi’s but there was a line outside, which I have never seen before, especially on a Sunday morning shortly after opening time. We shook our heads and left. Next, went to Tops. They have the particular brand of cream we use (not Ultra Pasteurized). My husband waited in the car and I went in. I haven’t been in this store for about two months, so I took my time, curious to see how supplies were. They had a lot of TP and PT, but some of the TP was weird off-brands and individually wrapped rolls. I didn’t look for yeast but noticed they had flour and sugar. The pasta shelves were a bit sparse. Canned goods in general were a bit sparse but I noticed they had SPAM, which has been absent elsewhere. There was a limit of two packages each on fresh meats.

After Tops we went to BJs Wholesale. For the first time in ages their freezer cases were well stocked. Usually they’re out of things like frozen chicken portions, meatballs, and other frozen prepared foods. We never eat any of that kind of thing anyway. Last week they were out of frozen fish filets. This week they had a few kinds but were missing one of the two kinds that were on sale. Still no corned beef hash or SPAM. Both have been out for the last few weeks. Also, the three pack of 46 Oz Motts applesauce has been out for 3-4 weeks. They have small containers of various kinds of applesauce but not those big ones. Meats were in short supply and there were limits per customer. PT were stacked to the ceiling! They must have gotten truckloads, and there was TP as well. In our area, the shortages seem to vary by store. Each chain had its own suppliers, so what one store is out of, another may have.

I can find all paper products at our local Target at all times now. I can't find cleaning supplies. The shelves are short of dried beans, pasta and some cheese.

I can find all paper products at our local Target at all times now. I can't find cleaning supplies. The shelves are short of dried beans, pasta and some cheese.

In my area, Target has really been the worst. I went there today and, for the first time, they had about 10 multipacks of Viva Paper Towels left on the shelf. Nothing else. While in my regular grocery stores, at least for the past 2 weeks, there have been paper towels.

In my area, Target has really been the worst. I went there today and, for the first time, they had about 10 multipacks of Viva Paper Towels left on the shelf. Nothing else. While in my regular grocery stores, at least for the past 2 weeks, there have been paper towels.
How funny. Your experience is the complete opposite of mine. Grocery stores have zero paper products but Target truly has an over abundance.

The people who make Orly fingernail polish are making hand sanitizer that is 75% alcohol. They have 4-5 2oz bottles in a bag, and also sell 16oz refills. They are kind of pricy but I got fast shipping with them. There is a company called Uncle Bud's that is making hemp-based sanitizer that has more alcohol content but it's a heavy lotion and if you put more than a dab on it can make your hands sticky.

The people who make Orly fingernail polish are making hand sanitizer that is 75% alcohol. They have 4-5 2oz bottles in a bag, and also sell 16oz refills. They are kind of pricy but I got fast shipping with them. There is a company called Uncle Bud's that is making hemp-based sanitizer that has more alcohol content but it's a heavy lotion and if you put more than a dab on it can make your hands sticky.

Wow, just checked. They are pretty pricey.

Hand sanitizer is still a bit hard to find. I'll see it at a local Target occasionally, and they have a limit on purchases of one per customer.

I actually found some at a 99 Cents Store Only. It was some generic brand, but the prices were actually much higher than their typical $1 price for almost everything. They had 8 oz bottles for $3.99 and 12 oz bottles for $4.99. We already had a case of overpriced hand sanitizer so we didn't need it. But if I had a problem finding it I would have bought one.

I was at Meijer the other day and they had small bottles of Germ-X hand sanitizer, the travel size. I picked up the limit of two. It's the first hand sanitizer I've seen anywhere in two months.

i have a suspicion that even if individual industries are able to gear back up and supply lines improve to some type of normalcy we are going to see shortages again come end of summer/early fall. i say this b/c i live in a region where people tend to stock up on staples, paper goods and such come late september/early october b/c we can get nasty weather

This is how I was raised (Saskatchewan) and it is a practice that I continue to this day, no matter where we have lived, except maybe California. Even in places that only get the occasional heavy winter storm, who wants to head out to the store in a place like Oregon, where winter is incessant rain and cold, gusting winds blowing up the Columbia? Do we still go to the store weekly, give or take, for fresh produce, etc.? Of course, but that big stock up in the fall to fill the freezer with meat, replenishing our supplies of canned goods, and making sure our medicine cabinet is up to date, mean that our trips out are very limited and we aren't opening our doors over and over during cold snaps to drag groceries in from the car. If a storm comes along, we just sit tight, while others rush out for milk and bread.

I haven't been in a store since April 3rd. I have been doing curbside pick up for groceries, which seems really limit what I've been able to get. Many items say "in store only" for the hard to find items.

I had a good couple days though, and was able to find hand sanitizer, hand soap, disinfecting wipes and disinfecting spray all online, mostly Amazon, by continually checking back.

I've been able to get TP without any trouble for the most part...but gosh, I hate those Mega rolls. They don't fit on our holders until they are partially gone. Double size rolls are harder to find.

disinfecting wipes

Can I ask what brand you've bought from Amazon, if you're happy with them? Prior to all this, I only knew the ones I usually bought in the store, and they're sold out. I'm not sure what to trust if I find random ones on line.

Can I ask what brand you've bought from Amazon, if you're happy with them? Prior to all this, I only knew the ones I usually bought in the store, and they're sold out. I'm not sure what to trust if I find random ones on line.
Not the poster you asked, but the disinfecting wipes I've bought on Amazon (both before and during this whole mess) are their own brand, Solimo. The wipes are a little smaller and a little thinner than Clorox wipes, but otherwise work just fine. They come in sets of two or three. Sometimes you can get a box of 3 sets together!

Not the poster you asked, but the disinfecting wipes I've bought on Amazon (both before and during this whole mess) are their own brand, Solimo. The wipes are a little smaller and a little thinner than Clorox wipes, but otherwise work just fine. They come in sets of two or three. Sometimes you can get a box of 3 sets together!

Thanks!

Of course not. There's such a glut of produceright now (with so many restaurants, school food service, etc, closed) that farmers are destroying their crops. https://www.businessinsider.com/foo...covid-19-struggling-families-go-hungry-2020-4
Here it’s milk, eggs and in some cases, producers are considering culling their livestock. Meat packing is done regionally across Canada and for some reason, packing plants have been hit hard by Covid outbreaks all over the country - they are major “hotspots” actually. So many have reduced operations or had to close entirely that it’s put a major glitch in the supply chain. Crazy on both ends - apparently live cattle are selling to the packers for less than $1/lb due to the glut but on Saturday I had to pass on rib steaks in the grocery store that cost $39/kg due to shortages of processed meat. :eek:

The matter of destroying food is morally repugnant, especially at this time. And I don’t know of any producer that wouldn’t gladly rather give it away but it’s hard to do with unprocessed milk and meat on-the-hoof. At this point in the season (planting time) farmers are faced with the difficult decision on cutting back their crops to avoid a potential excess at harvest time but that decision could just as easily lead to shortages in autumn. Canada has a single growing season and there’s no chance for a course correction if supply doesn’t match demand.

Who ever could have imagined this hideous scenario and just how many aspects of life this virus would throw into chaos? :sad2:

I went food shopping this morning - New England supermarket chain Market Basket. No more limits on paper products! But limit of two on wipes/disinfecting products (which I couldn't find any) and meats. A huge section of the meat cases were instead filled with gallons of water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter