What is the BEST cruise tip you ever learned from the Dis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several folks mentioned the over-the-door shoe organizers. I bought two yesterday at Target and they cost less than $8 each. Not too bad if they help a bunch. :thumbsup2

Great thread!!

Took me a couple of nights to read it all but very helpful hints.

Thanks to all that have contributed. This will help make our cruise in a few weeks even more successful.

Great job guys:worship::worship:

Several folks mentioned the over-the-door shoe organizers. I bought two yesterday at Target and they cost less than $8 each. Not too bad if they help a bunch. :thumbsup2

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I was able to get several at my local Dollar Tree. They are cheap plastic, but I'm not really planning to bring them home. If the SH doesn't want them, I might bring home to hold craft suplies - my MIL has put her punches in them at it's working great for her.

I just wanted people to know that shoe holders can be found in dollar stores.

The secret (obstructed) porthole stateroom to help keep down costs for the baltic cruise!

While I have learned many great things here, one of the best I actually learned on Cruise Critic. I'm sure it has been mentioned here, but I will mention it again. For those that like it a little cooler at nght in their stateroom, buy a small oscillating fan. We bought one for our most recent cruise and absolutely will not cruise without it in the future. The one we got is easy to pack and puts out a good breeze. Got it at our local Walmart for about $20. One of the best 20 bucks I spent for the cruise!!

Here's the one we got.
Lasko Platinum Desktop Wind Tower Fan

I had a few questions after reading the many pages of great tips here so I did post seperate thread so everyone would have benefit of the answers-
This thread is much appreciated, I am sure many of us have taken down many tips here to now remind us of other items we need to remember, things we need to look for, and anticipate-
I didn't see this tip and it is a basic travel tip

Extra batteries for any battery operated items, i.e.
cameras, flashlight, walkman, and such- ipods are so greatly used now I know many hadn't thought of batteries but the small items that may be used on batteries- definitely have them with you-

Also, a journal for everyone- whether it be to collect ph #'s of new friends (since cells may be left at home or in vehicles) or actually jot down memories of your trip for scrapbooking, trip reporting- or even to make notes of all names of people you've taken pics of- servers, staff members (counselors, ship stewards, etc) if you took a pic of them you don't want to forget their name by the time you get home... It is great for scrappin' and for a return trip- we will be looking at our first cruise next year but if we go again, I think it would be cool to ask if a particular steward, counselor, or housekeeper, is still there and look them up-

Wow, I just read 567 posts. I'm not excited or anything. And I've been to Disney. Alot. To add my tip...

For those of you on your first Disney vacation or those those of you who have been to WDW but not on a Disney Cruise: take (or get) a Disney autograph book for your kids to get character autographs. The books are available everywhere. Bring a thick pen or marker to help the costumed characters. Another tip, only get the characters to sign the left side, leaving the right side for the picture that you are taking of the signing. When you get home, put the picture in. My kids' Disney Autograph books show them growing up better than any other album I own!

I know many do this when visiting WDW, but it works well on a Disney Cruise as well.

If you buy the beer mug bring it back to the next cruise and save yourself the cost of the mug again. It is still the same mug hasn't changed in years. Just pack it in your suitcase.

Also if you stay at a Disney resort the day before and are driving to the port, which is economical for large parties to rent a car, you can pay $25 to have six bags delivered to your stateroom. This is great if you don't want to haul them around everywhere. Pack a light bag for the ship something easy to carry, so it doesn't get in the way while eating.

If you go to Palo for dinner, remeber it can take a while try to book on the night which you are eating in the same resturant for the cruise. If you get to the port, you can change your dinning rotation sometimes all you have to do is ask or call 48 hours in advance.

I highly recommend the high tea on 4 day cruises or longer this is great and really cheap, I think 5 or 10 dollars.

They still offer the couples mudbath steam room, Rasul- a must do for couples who need some time alone.

I definitely could see if we had children or more then 2 of us in the room we would have definitely needed more outlets.

Maybe we were too busy, but the extension cord was one tip we never needed to use.

My five favorite tips have been:

1. The clear shoe holder - you would not believe how much time that saved us trying to dig in drawers and suitcases for sunscreen, etc.

2. Try to get your party to dress the same as each other on the first day - they take a photo as you're walking on the ship and it ended up being my favorite one of the trip.

3. Rent your stroller early. They run out.

4. Yes, take your water bottles and liquor in rolling luggage. Or put the water in the regular luggage, but I've been told that the stewards "are not supposed to see it". Your favorite wine from home goes *wonderful* with the cheese platters from room service, especially on the verandas. :hippie:

5. Highlighters for the daily itinerary.

oh - and Shutters advertises only certain packages - you'll see notes for those all over, but there are other choices. If you only want one photo from your trip - ask!

just subbing love all the tips.

I thought I recently read that they would like you to refill water bottles with the ships water to reduce the plastic bottles used. Did anyone else see this? Maybe on their web site?

Wow, I can't believe I read all 39 pages. :)

We are going on our first cruise Sept 3, 09. Thank you for all of the wonderful tips!! :)

Get to the ship early for Palo
Over the door shoe holder
Bring swim suits in your carry on

Wow! I just finished all 39 pages of this thread!!! Thank you for all the wonderful advice!:goodvibes

And I can't believe I started this thread back in 2006!! Its still going strong. I just wish I had a cruise to book.:thumbsup2

Mine has to be...if you have to have an inside stateroom, book on deck 7 aft, so you'll have the "secret verandah" to go out and enjoy. We did just this in April and it was wonderful.

My second is what I just learned, and they are the "secret" cat 7 rooms on deck 7 (used to be cat 5), so I booked our first verandah for next June, just because of the Dis! Thanks everyone! :)

Is this verandah "private"....connected to your room:littleangel:
Kerri

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter