What is the etiquette re: lines?

Actually, the current setup at Disney will be great for you as they're really trying to have as much of the queues as possible outside, and a minimal portion through the inside queues. And because of that plus no FP, the indoor queues move very quickly, so minimal time when you couldn't sneak off for a pee.

I don't know how 'official' it is, but when my sister and I were standing in line for a Disney on Broadway show in 2019 we had 2 people in front of us. The line was moving and we were almost to the entrance of the theater when another group of 4 people came and joined them. There were a few cast members standing there and one of them told the group that they could only hold the place for an equal number of people. So if 2 people were waiting, then 2 people could join them. Again, could have just been that cast member's personal way of handling it. I personally think that unless somebody needs to pop out to visit the bathroom or something else necessary then everybody should be in line.

Off topic: I agree! I spent a good deal of my evening today complaining to my husband about the joggers in the bike lane when I was trying to go for a bike ride. They just felt entitled to be there, blocking all of the bikes, with their headphones on and totally oblivious! There was a really nice foot path right next to the bike lane but for some reason, the joggers, AND some walkers just preferred to be in the bike lane. I couldn't stand it!! I kept getting pushed into fast, dangerous traffic to go around them.

Back on topic: Under normal circumstances, I would never consider splitting up to get in line. I'm just dreading/anticipating that there may be some issues with my condition and trying to figure out if I'm just going to have to miss everything because of it.
Off topic- I love the way they set this up on Long Beach Island. Walkers and joggers on one side of the street against the flow of traffic, other side for bicycles going with traffic. The bike lane doesn’t have anybody on foot.

I wanted to hear some opinions before sharing why I was asking...

I have a chronic bladder condition. Travel and dehydration have high potential to lead to flares, which lead to a bit more time in the restroom. I would hate to constantly make my family wait for me but I also really hope that I don't end up missing everything, especially having the experiences together with them. I would NOT squeeze past people in an indoor/tight situation during covid! Nobody, including me, would want that type of close contact with strangers right now. But I was hoping that maybe for rides that had really long, outdoor lines, it might not be considered too bad if my family went ahead if I get delayed and I could join them a few minutes later. Three of them in line, one of me possibly joining (under circumstances that allow). Also, I'm not sure that taking my group from 3 people to 4 people changes wait time at all for the other people in line, except maybe single riders which don't exist right now anyway. My condition is NOT something I want to be blurting out to a crowd of people to explain why I'm "cutting" so there won't be any way for people around to know why I'm joining my family late. Just wanted to get a sense from the group if it was highly, highly frowned upon or even not possible to do in many cases, or if people were pretty understanding.
Do you get a DAS? I have ulcerative colitis and get one so that I can wait near restrooms and not get caught in long lines and have issues. It helps me not to miss out on rides with my family. Something you may want to consider.

Do you get a DAS? I have ulcerative colitis and get one so that I can wait near restrooms and not get caught in long lines and have issues. It helps me not to miss out on rides with my family. Something you may want to consider.

I'm not sure what that is - but would love to message you to hear more!

Etiquette is all about people feeling comfortable sharing a society together. Think about table manners... they help make everyone more comfortable while eating together. It’s being civilized. What if every party got on lines even when people with them needed to stop to buy something or restroom, etc. It would get uncomfortable, especially in the virus age if catching up meant squeezing thru people’s personal space.

Meet near the ride and go in together. Now I sound like somebody’s Dad, lol. Sorry. 😂

This post made me laugh out loud. Also made me remember when I visited a European country that was not a strong queuing culture. It was normal for people to step ahead of others in line if even a small gap opened up, with no embarrassment or offense taken. At one point, the line was moving backwards because so many people had filled in the gaps, and I realized i had to be more aggressive there. People definitely had no issues there having one person in line later joined by 10 others, but I can now just laugh at my sense of rage at the time!

Everyone waits together from the end of line nudging along like everyone else. That's the deal. Emergency bathroom break is ok as long as I seen you pass me on the way out so when you come back I recognize you were ahead of me. Me, I could never do it. Trying to slip through line to catch up while everyone is giving you the stink eye would be too much to bear :guilty:

I wanted to hear some opinions before sharing why I was asking...

I have a chronic bladder condition. Travel and dehydration have high potential to lead to flares, which lead to a bit more time in the restroom. I would hate to constantly make my family wait for me but I also really hope that I don't end up missing everything, especially having the experiences together with them. I would NOT squeeze past people in an indoor/tight situation during covid! Nobody, including me, would want that type of close contact with strangers right now. But I was hoping that maybe for rides that had really long, outdoor lines, it might not be considered too bad if my family went ahead if I get delayed and I could join them a few minutes later. Three of them in line, one of me possibly joining (under circumstances that allow). Also, I'm not sure that taking my group from 3 people to 4 people changes wait time at all for the other people in line, except maybe single riders which don't exist right now anyway. My condition is NOT something I want to be blurting out to a crowd of people to explain why I'm "cutting" so there won't be any way for people around to know why I'm joining my family late. Just wanted to get a sense from the group if it was highly, highly frowned upon or even not possible to do in many cases, or if people were pretty understanding.
I feel you! Based on your description, I'm guessing we have the same condition. Playing the constant battle of dehydration vs drinking too much water with no bathroom available makes for difficult trips! Our last trip I scheduled frequent bathroom trips into our itinerary and that helped. And the other times, I just slipped through the line and rejoined my family. Like others said, I think if you are already in line and then leave and come back, people are less likely to gripe. But when that doesn't work out, just put your head down and say excuse me politely and not worry about what others think. I'd guess most people only get upset over the big offenders - groups of 4+ that obviously were on another ride.

I'd love to talk to you about this too. Where do you find the limitations of a DAS? My condition is manageable but definitely stressful in long line situations. I guess I wouldn't have thought it would apply for a DAS.

I'd love to talk to you about this too. Where do you find the limitations of a DAS? My condition is manageable but definitely stressful in long line situations. I guess I wouldn't have thought it would apply for a DAS.
Essentially, if you have a condition that makes waiting in the regular stand by line a difficulty to the point you’re trip would be impacted negatively you can explain the issue to Guest Services. They will determine if it warrants a DAS or some other form of assistance (they do not care about actual diagnosis, they want to hear your issues and reason). Check out the DISabilities! Forum, lots of great info. Feel free to message me also.

The first time I got a DAS and explained how it would be easier for me to wait in the vicinity of the restrooms, the CM said, "You're the type of guest DAS exists for." So yes, if you have a condition that makes waiting in long lines challenging, talk to Guest Services. I mean, I don't consider myself disabled but I do appreciate accomodations for my condition in a theme park that make my trips more accessible and enjoyable. I literally wouldn't be able to ride some rides without it.

I realize I'm different in that I'm solo and generally in the parks alone (ergo no one to hold my place in line - I can't even take advantage of the mid-line bathroom in Flight of Passage), but it really irks me when people jump line.

I don’t really mind even if someone holds the line, but when someone shows up with a whole smorgasbord of uneaten snacks and fresh Starbucks cups for the whole family, I get just as annoyed as if someone sauntered in late to work but obviously had time to stop for coffee.

Another vote for visiting Guest Services to discuss the DAS. No one in line needs to be annoyed or worried about covid safety with your rejoining after a break if your condition is being accommodated outside the line to begin with. Our family uses a DAS on our trips, and unfortunately you will still get some rude comments and ugly looks from people who assume you are taking advantage in some way from the access. But you know yourself. Try not to let it get to you, and use it when you need it. That is why it exists. And there are also a lot of other people who won't notice one way or the other when you use a DAS, or will notice but won't care, or will notice and be supportive because they understand. The DISabilities board has a lot of useful information and you are 100% welcome to message me as well with any questions. Enjoy your trip!

If you get in line and then have to temporarily leave to use the restroom, I don't consider that cutting in or rude. Things happen. If you were never on line in the first place and decide to join your group later on because they wouldn't wait while you use the restroom or get a snack, that's cutting in line and IMHO rude. I know that most people won't say anything, but I strongly urge you to not try to move ahead of people join a line that you were never on.

I would never squeeze past anyone in an indoor queue to rejoin my group nor would anyone I was travelling with. That being said, in September in 90 degree heat with masks on I had no problem sending DW and DS10 to go get a drink while I began waiting in line near the animation courtyard for SDD. They got to get out of the oppressive heat and take a mask break and rejoined me when they saw me in line. If anyone has a problem with that I'm sorry. We didn't do it in every line but TBH it will happen again in June if DS needs a break from the searing sun in all of the out door uncovered queues and a break from the mask for a few.

I know I get I get momentarily annoyed when a large group joins their line-space saver. However, I think it's also important that I "check my expectations" in those circumstances:
- Do I have an expectation how long it will take to get to the ride, and does the larger group now shatter that expectation?
- Am I more upset by the people joining, or having my expectations not met?
- Did I create some sort of personal rules to benefit me, and then apply my personal rules to another person or group of people?
- Why am I judging the right or wrong of their choice?

If I'm being honest with myself, it's usually that I'm disappointed that I didn't know there would be a big group. I'm disappointed that my expectations when I'd experience the ride were entirely thrown off. I watch for blaming the group for my own creation of "line rules" to justify my "outrage" for the "inconsiderate behavior." In other words, I ask myself: Am I being a Karen?

It's understandable if members of the party needed to use the bathroom part of the way through the queue.

I recall being pregnant with my youngest one. I would go to the bathroom before getting in line, and I would likely still have to go while waiting in line. That kid thought my bladder was a trampoline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter