What is the etiquette re: lines?

I was once in line so long at TSMM that a family with young kids left to use the bathroom (the dad stayed behind) and when they came back we hadn't moved at all. We still all talk about that day!

I would never squeeze past anyone in an indoor queue to rejoin my group nor would anyone I was travelling with. That being said, in September in 90 degree heat with masks on I had no problem sending DW and DS10 to go get a drink while I began waiting in line near the animation courtyard for SDD. They got to get out of the oppressive heat and take a mask break and rejoined me when they saw me in line. If anyone has a problem with that I'm sorry. We didn't do it in every line but TBH it will happen again in June if DS needs a break from the searing sun in all of the out door uncovered queues and a break from the mask for a few.
I mean...I’m sure everyone else in line didn’t particularly enjoy baking in the heat. Not sure why you think your family is special and should get to take a break while others keep their parties together so that everything moves faster.

maybe I’m a bad Disney parent but if my child needed a break from “oppressive heat” and their mask, my first thought wouldn’t be “let’s half the family get in line for another ride” it would be “maybe it’s time to go back to the hotel and take a rest for a bit.”

I mean...I’m sure everyone else in line didn’t particularly enjoy baking in the heat. Not sure why you think your family is special and should get to take a break while others keep their parties together so that everything moves faster.

maybe I’m a bad Disney parent but if my child needed a break from “oppressive heat” and their mask, my first thought wouldn’t be “let’s half the family get in line for another ride” it would be “maybe it’s time to go back to the hotel and take a rest for a bit.”

Didn't say we were special. We didn't interfere with anyone's personal space and he got a break he needed and didn't have to walk from AS2 to the end of the line. If this is the worst thing I ever do at WDW I'm doing ok.

Everyone else could do the exact same thing. The current de facto rule is one person can wait in line for everyone else before you enter the normal standby queue. You can complain about it, but that's not going to change anything.

Beyond that if someone needs to exit the line for a bathroom break after you've passed that normal standby entrance, you typically can talk to the CM at the FastPass entrance and they will let you go up and wait for the rest of your party at the point where the lines merge. I agree no one should be trying to squeeze by others in the normal standby queue.

If it's one person, or a parent with a kid or 2, it's no big deal. I think we all get the potty break need or random whatever...

It's frustrating as crizzle when a group of adults do it. My rule of thumb this is to be super passive aggressive and just talk about line skipping with people around me, and how rude it is. LOL.
It's like those people that KNOW a lane merge is coming, and instead of zippering into line like everyone else, they race to the very front and hope to find a gap to force themselves in. We all cheer a little when folks unite in solidarity and make that guy wait a dozen cars or so before finding an opening.

I’m with someone else on the majority rule. I don’t mind if 1-2 people join their family in line. Or if someone needs a potty break. I just can’t stand when a group of 2 is joined by a group of 5+. We actually had a group of 15+ cheerleaders being led in by an adult chaperone who thought it was totally ok to skip the entire line and meet up with a group of 3 girls at the very front of Space Mountain.

This thread has the potential to get ugly. So, please allow me to go first. 😂jk.

Yeah... I see that, LOL! Sorry, didn't mean to open that can of worms. I legitimately was trying to figure out the best way to handle my condition.

It sounds like people would be less annoyed if I get in line first and then duck out if I need to use the restroom again. Sometimes I go, and then five minutes later need to go again :( So rather than just sending my family ahead, I should go with them, and then pop out if I need to go again. And only while the line is outside and there's no squeezing past.

If I'm having a bad flare, I'll consider the DAS but under normal conditions, I don't think I'll need it. My symptoms come and go (i.e. "flare"). I might just need an extra trip to the restroom here and there.

I personally also think that it really depends if the addition of a person is going to change the wait time for the people behind. In my case, it wouldn't because 3 people vs 4 people wouldn't use up another car or row - the seat would most likely just be left empty if I wasn't there.

To me, it's all about intent. If you are doing it to try to cheat the system...boo to you. If you are doing it for emergent situation. We've all been there.

If it's one person, or a parent with a kid or 2, it's no big deal. I think we all get the potty break need or random whatever...

It's frustrating as crizzle when a group of adults do it. My rule of thumb this is to be super passive aggressive and just talk about line skipping with people around me, and how rude it is. LOL.
It's like those people that KNOW a lane merge is coming, and instead of zippering into line like everyone else, they race to the very front and hope to find a gap to force themselves in. We all cheer a little when folks unite in solidarity and make that guy wait a dozen cars or so before finding an opening.

Love this phrase! "frustrating as crizzle" :-)

I remember trying to drive through the Lincoln Tunnel to go into NYC and seeing cars zipping by on the shoulder to get in front of everyone else (and thereby causing the traffic they were avoiding, sigh...)

I wanted to hear some opinions before sharing why I was asking...

I have a chronic bladder condition. Travel and dehydration have high potential to lead to flares, which lead to a bit more time in the restroom. I would hate to constantly make my family wait for me but I also really hope that I don't end up missing everything, especially having the experiences together with them. I would NOT squeeze past people in an indoor/tight situation during covid! Nobody, including me, would want that type of close contact with strangers right now. But I was hoping that maybe for rides that had really long, outdoor lines, it might not be considered too bad if my family went ahead if I get delayed and I could join them a few minutes later. Three of them in line, one of me possibly joining (under circumstances that allow). Also, I'm not sure that taking my group from 3 people to 4 people changes wait time at all for the other people in line, except maybe single riders which don't exist right now anyway. My condition is NOT something I want to be blurting out to a crowd of people to explain why I'm "cutting" so there won't be any way for people around to know why I'm joining my family late. Just wanted to get a sense from the group if it was highly, highly frowned upon or even not possible to do in many cases, or if people were pretty understanding.
You're the kind of person DAS was designed for, and I recommend that you check it out at Guest Relations next time you're there.

I wanted to hear some opinions before sharing why I was asking...

I have a chronic bladder condition. Travel and dehydration have high potential to lead to flares, which lead to a bit more time in the restroom. I would hate to constantly make my family wait for me but I also really hope that I don't end up missing everything, especially having the experiences together with them. I would NOT squeeze past people in an indoor/tight situation during covid! Nobody, including me, would want that type of close contact with strangers right now. But I was hoping that maybe for rides that had really long, outdoor lines, it might not be considered too bad if my family went ahead if I get delayed and I could join them a few minutes later. Three of them in line, one of me possibly joining (under circumstances that allow). Also, I'm not sure that taking my group from 3 people to 4 people changes wait time at all for the other people in line, except maybe single riders which don't exist right now anyway. My condition is NOT something I want to be blurting out to a crowd of people to explain why I'm "cutting" so there won't be any way for people around to know why I'm joining my family late. Just wanted to get a sense from the group if it was highly, highly frowned upon or even not possible to do in many cases, or if people were pretty understanding.

Based on your description and wording, I believe we have the same condition. Not many chronic bladder conditions out there that cause a "flare"!

If I'm having a bad flare, I'll consider the DAS but under normal conditions, I don't think I'll need it. My symptoms come and go (i.e. "flare"). I might just need an extra trip to the restroom here and there.

I have been to Disney a few times since my diagnosis. Some trips have gone better then others. I make a big deal of staying hydrated and making sure I (mostly) stick to safe foods. I don't know you are food sensitive, but for me those two things make the biggest issue.

I also have gotten a DAS for it, even though I didn't think I would need it. If you don't use it, that was fine, but I had it if things got rough. I only used it once.

The big thing is take care of yourself and go with the "flow" (bad pun, sorry). Stress makes me worse and more likely to flare.

If you want to chat, please send me a message. I am very open about my medical stuff so that I can hopefully help others. I tried to stay vague on this post in order to respect your feelings on the situation.

Actually, zippering at the front of a lane merge and playing "you go/I go" is quicker for everyone and the right thing to do. Both lanes keep moving. It's the people who merge too soon (and then get annoyed at the zipperers) that cause big back-ups.

https://www.farmers.com/learn/plan-and-prep/car-myths/

True story My family of school teachers and the one thing you Do Not Allow is cutting in line which was lesson learned one day at Disneyland standing in line for those Mickey Mouse Pancakes and teacher Tracy would not allow her teacher cousins to join her in line ! No cuts and that includes you and you!
Didn’t you learn anything in Kindergarten?

Personally, we always make sure everyone is ready to go before hopping in line. Everyone uses the bathroom or gets a snack before we enter. It's just easier that way. If someone needs to use the bathroom while in the middle of a three-hour line, totally fine. I get it. I wouldn't feel upset at all about someone getting in and out of line to do that. I try not to use "always" or "never" in rules such as this -- there are complex situations that require some level of flexibility to established rules or societal expectations, so long as common sense and courtesy are maintained.

At the end of the day, however, I refuse to let someone cutting a line or cheating a system to ruin my own trip to WDW. While I might get frustrated in the moment to see stuff like that, I have learned to just let it go. It's not worth the time or effort. Plus, I paid WAY too much money to let strangers upset me on my vacation.

I don’t think OP is trying to cheat they system. And during normal times if one person or a parent and child need to leave the line to go to the bathroom, I don’t care. But during covid times I don’t want strangers squeezing past me.

Also, multiple people in this thread and others has said “just me or my party catching up tot he rest of our party in line doesn’t impact your wait time.” That would be true if you or your group was the only one doing it. But lots of people use this strategy, and given the ride capacity of some vehicles or theater, 5, 10, or 20 people catching up in line may mean you have to wait for the next ride vehicle or show. That can add 5-30 minutes to the wait of the people behind all of the “catch-uppers”.

Our youngest hasn't reached the height to ride every ride at all the parks, so there are times where we split up and re-unite, and one of us. I think it's about respect and practicality. If my wife is waaaay into the queue, I won't join her. If we are talking just a short distance, I think when people can physically see who you are headed to, it helps.
Actually, zippering at the front of a lane merge and playing "you go/I go" is quicker for everyone and the right thing to do. Both lanes keep moving. It's the people who merge too soon (and then get annoyed at the zipperers) that cause big back-ups.

https://www.farmers.com/learn/plan-and-prep/car-myths/
except they aren’t zippering, they keep going and going until the lane runs out. I get what you are saying and knew I could count on an argument here. I’ve seen the same videos as you, but the reality is you are expected to zipper before the lane terminates.

Zipper merge my friend
I’m fully aware of the zipper merge, my friend, I even mentioned it in the post. It fails when the car passes the car in front of them that zippered in and proceeds to the terminus of the lane.

For me, personally, if half or more of a small group (say 4-6) is in line, then I have no issue with the other half joining them after a bathroom trip, a run for a drink, etc. I mean, if you have an hour long ride, and 2 Parents/Adults, and 4 kids are in line, it stands to reason that at some point, each adult might take a few kids to the bathroom and then come back. And that's fine with me. Because sometimes I might need to run out and use the restroom and come back myself, so why would I expect any different of anyone else, right? (And I especially appreciate when they are kind enough to mention to those joining the line right behind them that that is what's happening, so it's not a surprise to those directly behind them.)

If something is going to annoy me at all, then it is when you have only 1 or 2 people in line, and then a dozen or more show up and claim they are in the same group. To me, that's not someone in line who needs to leave for a bathroom break or a bite to eat or some water. Because they wouldn't need to leave in such a large group to do those things.

That's more like they want to be able to have people in several spots to see who reaches the front of a line first. Or a situation where most people in a big group want to do Ride A, so they let the few who don't go hold a spot at Ride B for them. And I don't think either situation are very kind to other people waiting in line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter