What is the Issue with Studio's????

boxer

DIS Veteran
DVC Platinum
We just bought into the VGF last week, and ever since then all I've been hearing is how we will not be happy with just a Studio, and we should have bought enough points for a 1-bed. I don't understand this AT ALL, as we walked the Studio's, and LOVE them. They are bigger than any deluxe resort room we would stay in, and have capability to sleep 5. I think the room is more than big enough for our family--and has much more room than most (f not all) the resort rooms we've stayed in previously. The 1-beds are beautiful, but that is alot of points to use--hence our decision to buy enough for standard/lake view Studio (195).

Am I missing something? I know there are not alot of Studio's at VGF, but I plan on using the 11mos window to the exact day we plan on checking in. I personally just don't see the need to have excessive points for a 1-bed if we really don't need to use it? We spend ALOT of time at the resort--but not a bunch of time in the actual room. We LOVE the GF, so we figured Studio was the way to go to buy into the resort.

That your kids are young and eventually you will feel that a hotel room is tight. A lot of people on this board are spoiled, we like having the kids sleep in a different room, having a kitchen that enables you to scramble up a few eggs, and a washer dryer to throw in a load of laundry

Having a kitchen is the main item, but if you don't cook on vacation, the Microwave and Fridge is probably enough.

That your kids are young and eventually you will feel that a hotel room is tight. A lot of people on this board are spoiled, we like having the kids sleep in a different room, having a kitchen that enables you to scramble up a few eggs, and a washer dryer to throw in a load of laundry

This exactly! :thumbsup2

Studios are nice for a couple or a family with smaller children. However, the more trips you make to Disney the more you will tend to spend time relaxing at your resort and that includes chilling out in your room. Soon you will want to venture out to try the other DVC resorts so it goes beyond just the studio at the GF. Before you know it, you might find that the extra bathrooms offered at some of the DVC 1 bedrooms are what you need. Before you know it, your children will be older and not want to sleep in the same bed. I personally have not paid much attention to VGF, especially the studios since we will most likely not do a studio again.....I didn't realize that the studios there sleep 5, that is a nice option.

Studios are fine as long as you never stay in a 1 br.... Warning ... Never ever stay in a one br cause if you do you will be spoiled forever

Start in a studio, eat in restaurants, spend most of your time in the parks.

Later you will spend more time in your room and at the resort, you will cook more in your home away from home to save some money, the parks are nice, don't change much, and you get tired of the crowds. That's when you will want to buy more points for the 1 bedroom.

We book a 1 bedroom for 2 people and a 2 bedroom for 3.

:earsboy: Bill

Make sure you never book OKW studio. The VGF studio rooms are much smaller than those at OKW.

We typically travel 2 adults & 1 child. We don't cook. The studio works well for us & the points savings (for more trips) is even better!

We book a 1 bedroom for 2 people and a 2 bedroom for 3.
Ditto -- we do the same.

I didn't pay a large up-front fee and commit myself to ongoing dues just to stay in the timeshare-equivalent of a hotel room. The whole purpose was to create an experience more like a vacation home -- where everyone has space to retreat, find some privacy and to live leisurely.

For me, the jetted tub, or at least a deep soaking tub, is an important feature of "vacation." I hate bringing home a tote full of dirty clothes or trying to rinse out a favorite article in the bathroom sink when having an in-room laundry is so easily available in the larger units. I might not need a full kitchen -- but I do need a full size refrigerator, large counter space and some basic tools for food prep.

Studio units are simply "slumming it" in my book and don't make for a very restful journey. Never ask me to stay in a studio for more than 2 nights +/-. Ugh.

I was one of those who, before joining DVC, thought I'd never "waste" the points on a one-bedroom and I'd always stay in a Studio.

After a few stays in a one-bedroom (we have older children), DW and I can't imagine wanting a Studio even after the kids are gone. :)

Enjoy Studios while you can. If you are like many, it's hard to stay in a Studio once you've tried a one-bedroom.

To the OP:

Everything you have read here is true.

We bought enough points for a 1 BR for a week every year, with a little left over, thinking that we would do any or all of the following:

-Do a Studio for a week or more, with points left over for a 5 night stay - essentially doing 2 weeks a year.

-Bank, Use, Borrow, for larger family vacations.

-Do a lot of frequent weekend trips.

-Any combo of the above......

What did we end up doing?

We blew it, we stayed in a Studio AFTER a cruise. So we had dirty laundry, and we had to go to the guest laundry at AKV-Jambo (LONG walk!)

Now we are 1BR bookers nearly 100% of the time.

Between the kitchen, the laundry, the master bath.... it is a tough thing to go back to a studio without ANY of those amenities.

HOWEVER.... that said.... if you look long enough on these forums, you will find retired folks who rent a studio for months at a time (separate reservations in accordance with booking restrictions of course) and they even cook full meals in their studio! Crock Pot, George Foreman Grill, Sandwich Grill etc
Yes, they do FULL meals in their STUDIO!

It sounds like a fantastic adventure to ME! But to my wife it's :faint:

I can think of a million things to cook in a studio... but when I think of cooking in a 1BR....

Plus the lack of proper cooking ventilation in a studio....

But anyway.....

Would you rather spend two months in a studio.... or two weeks in a 1BR?

I know, way off topic..... BUT

Back on topic, at this point in time, if you are totally fine with a Studio..... Then that's it, that's all you need!

It's all about what fits your family's needs.

For people who usually book and stay in a 1 BR with kids, they like having a place to retreat away together after the kids have gone to bed... well, at the GR you have a wonderful balcony with beautiful views as a place to hide out for a while after the kids go to bed!

It's all about what you want, and the amenities that you consider a 'must have'!

For us, coming home with ALL of our laundry clean, making the transition back to "real" life a little easier.... it's worth the extra points.

But then again.... we have added on.... and own more points than what we ever thought we would.... at 4 resorts. So I may not be the best to provide point advice! :lmao:

But the Studios at VGF are truly a world of difference - they are beautiful!

If you want to add points later... you know how to do that! HAHA

We always do a studio. My wife does not cook on vacation or it would not be a vacation. When all the kids and grandkids go (10 people), we do 3 studios. Never had a complaint, even after we put our sons crew in a one bedroom. Still love the studios.

For me.....I loved doing laundry when it was convenient....it allowed me to pack light. The tub was wonderful after standing in lines.....and it allowed for some romance with the private bedroom. When our son was young, we did the studio with the food plan.....when he was older....one bedroom and we made breakfast in the room.

I have done either studios or 2 bedrooms. In fact, I have never booked a 1 bedroom. When I am away I don't think of cooking etc... as vacation. However, I can certainly see the point of folks who don't do the parks as much liking the extra room. I can also see my trips in the future heading in that direction and the 1 bedrooms may be on the radar at that point.

I've never stayed in a Studio, but have gone back to a regular Deluxe hotel room after staying in a 1 Bedroom DVC, and figure how different can a regular Deluxe room vs a Studio be?

The 1 Bedrooms are lovely. We stayed in a 1 BR in Kidani and in Bay Lake Tower. (We've been staying in Yacht Club since then, sometimes Concierge.) However, we're usually 2 adults and one tiny barely 3 year old, so for us, I think the VGF studios will be fine. Yeah, maybe when she is bigger we'll do a 1Br but for now she's barely 3, and I'd rather use my points for more trips. I do miss the in room laundry, but we also usually don't stay longer than 5 nights.

The full kitchens are gorgeous, but like someone upthread said, I don't want to cook on my vacation (or do dishes!) I cook dinner nearly every night, part of being on a vacation is taking a break from that. Studios give you a microwave and we might buy a small toaster oven so we can easily make any instant sort of meal we might need.

For us the studio is great considering we're basically replacing a stay at a place like Port Orleans Riverside with a stay at a deluxe studio. WDW is definitely one of those places where we're in the room just long enough to nap if we must and sleep for the night when it's finally time. Granted that may change when we get older and when that time comes I guess we'll need more than 75 points!

Definitely don't stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom if you want be happy with the studio. Studios are nice, but once you get used to more space, the kitchen and washer/dryer, it is harder to be happy in the studio, especially when the kids get older. We have SSR and then added on GVC thinking we would be able to do a studio for 5 nights every year. Now I want to get a 1 bedroom and don't have enough points for the trips we want to take since the home resort priority is so important there. Makes a difference once kids are becoming teenagers. Space is nice. :)

Don't worry about it, you can always add on in the future. Some like studios, some don't. We bought thinking we'd stay in 1BRs until our kids got older, but ended up staying in a 2BR our first trip after buying DVC and there was no considering 1BRs after that. We really like the extra space and not having kids on sleeper sofas in the living area. We avoid standard hotel rooms in general at this point, not just at WDW; although we've taken several WDW trips where all five of us stayed in a hotel room and we enjoyed our trip. It is less desirable to us now that our kids are older and we spend more time hanging out at the resort.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Don't listen to anyone on any MB - just do what's right for you!!

Seriously, we have older kids in college. We've stayed in everything from a small hotel room to 3BR - Disney and other timeshares / resorts. We always have a good time - the size of the place really does not matter much to us. And never has at any age.

Its nice to have some extra room sure, but we have that at home! The notion that you'll never stay in a studio after a 1BR is ridiculous. It just depends on who you are and how you want to vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter