What is the most dangerous journey you have taken?

A trip on from MO to WA in January years ago. I was snowed in in a blizzard for three days in KS. I hit black ice and did multiple 360s on the interstate in WY (missing a bridge abutment by a couple of feet). Then I drove thru fog so dense somewhere in the mountains on western I-90 that I was staying on the road by tailgating a semi so I could see his lights. If he’d have gone off the side of the mountain, I’d have gone with him.

over 10 years ago there was a snow storm that dumped about three feet of snow overnight. I had to get to work in the morning so I was driving up the NJ Turnpike in my compact SUV passing NJ Transit busses that had been abandoned overnight. The storm was worse than expected or I would have stayed at work the night before

Another fog horror story. The deer my God they were everywhere. I thought it was a deer apocplypse. And at one point I was convinced I was riding in farmers field. They shut down highway because of accidents so I was on backroads in upstate New York. I have raced one huricane (Irene) up the east coast and I drove through another (Fay) neither compared to the deer apocolypse. Later in the day driving home in early afternoon counted 23 dead deer on side of the road.

A horrible snow storm, late at night, on the way home from an indoor softball tournament. The flakes were ginormous and we couldn’t see anything. DH had to turn off the headlights, because they reflected off the snow to much, and he had to drive in the middle of the road on an expressway. Very nerve racking! Thank God we made it home safe. We definitely had a guardian angel with us that night.

Probably driving back home in a blizzard. I remember a couple. As a preteen my dad insisted we could beat the storm home from my aunt’s house. We spent the night in the car with one package of peanut brittle to eat. Dear old dad would check the exhaust pipe every so often to make sure it didn’t drift over and give us all CO poisoning.

Years later I was returning from a friends house with my preteen son. I was pulling a trailer, too, as it had been a business trip. We were 3/4 of the way home when I realized our last chance to stop was coming up before some of the worst of the journey. We got the last hotel room. I hated that I put my son in such danger thinking I had to get back for him to go to school the next day. Of course, they called off school the next day.

Driving our Jeep up to the top of Mt. Evans along a shelf road died of fear. Then once again in Moab on the Cliff Hanger run. Fool me once shame on me fool me twice... I'm not getting in the Jeep.

Been through many white knuckle rides. Been there where it was raining so hard that I had no visibility driving because the wipers couldn't keep up, on top of reduced stopping distances. Fog with literally 10 feet visibility. Whiteout conditions driving from Lake Tahoe. Raining so hard on the flight home with heavy wind buffeting and the passengers cheering once we landed. Landing any large jet in bad weather takes skill and extra large huevos.

There have been several...
>Driving home from a family Thanksgiving weekend, from Cleveland to Syracuse. The blizzard hit full force around Buffalo. I white-knuckled it the rest of the way, following in the tracks of some vehicle that wasn't too far in front of me. When it came time to exit the Thruway in Syracuse, I just sort-of guessed where the ramp should be and hoped for the best.

>Worst blizzard I ever drove in was in Flagstaff, AZ one President's Day Weekend. That this was the worst says a lot; as a New England girl I've driven in lots of snow storms, but this one really took the cake. Total whiteout.

>Berlin, NH (north of Mt. Washington) to Bangor, ME. Another snowstorm, except this time we were in the mountains- not like the Rockies, but still at an elevation where the predicted rain was snow, fairly heavy snow, almost all the way home, in the dark on 2 lane highways. It turned a 175mile, 3 hour trip into about 5.5 hours of sheer tension.

I gotta stop traveling in the winter!!

Done more than my fair share of snowstorms being in western PA. With the car I had, every time it snowed was a dangerous journey. I attribute most of my driving skills in how physics affect a vehicle handling to those winters with that car. I drove and steered the car more with the parking brake lever than I did with the steering wheel.

Driving for three days and two nights on one of the world's most dangerous highways...the Manali to Leh highway through the Indian Himalayas.A true knuckle bighter.

Honestly, my former work commute. There was the day a truck ahead of me lost a load of plywood on the interstate and I was sure it would come through the windshield. It flew over my car and I was too scared to see what happened behind me. Then there was the morning I was driving to work and the section of road I was on was very curvy. A car was coming the other direction, pursued by two police cars. The car lost control on the curve, crossed over the median in front of me, hit a wall, bounced back to the opposite side, hit another wall, and then crossed back over behind me, coming to a stop the third time they hit a wall. I had to stop my car and catch my breath after that one. I couldn’t believe I came out of that one unscathed.

Driving anywhere in Florida is an adventure! :car:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter