What is the oldest Magic Band that you have been able to use recently?

olive

DIS Veteran
I have a set from 2015. Two sets, actually. MDE still recognizes them. But I am a little worried about using them. Has anyone successfully used bands that old or older?? Did you miss out on any functionality?

Thanks! :)

Anything where you tap your band (park entry, payment if you are a resort guest, tapping for ride pics) will work. That will essentially work forever. Automatic ride photos like rides where you are not able to tap at the end (Frozen, Pirates, Slinky, etc) will probably not work.

I know we had photopass back then, or maybe it was memory maker at the time. Would it not work for ride photos now if it worked then?

I know we had photopass back then, or maybe it was memory maker at the time. Would it not work for ride photos now if it worked then?
Photopass and memory maker are different things. Photopass is having the pictures taken. Memory maker is the package you can buy to have access to those pictures. Many rides you tap your band at the end of the ride underneath where your photo is displayed, this will still work. Most of the newer rides, or rides where photos were recently added, there is no longer a place at the end of the ride to scan your band, and the photo is automatically added to your account via a long-range signal to your band that you are wearing on your ride. That long-range function will not work on bands that are more than 3-4 years old.

Photopass and memory maker are different things. Photopass is having the pictures taken. Memory maker is the package you can buy to have access to those pictures. Many rides you tap your band at the end of the ride underneath where your photo is displayed, this will still work. Most of the newer rides, or rides where photos were recently added, there is no longer a place at the end of the ride to scan your band, and the photo is automatically added to your account via a long-range signal to your band that you are wearing on your ride. That long-range function will not work on bands that are more than 3-4 years old.

Got it. We did purchase the photo package and had ride photos that were automatically taken with no band tapping required, I just didn't remember what the package was branded as back then. That makes sense about the bands, I guess. We will just order new ones. Thanks!

Got it. We did purchase the photo package and had ride photos that were automatically taken with no band tapping required, I just didn't remember what the package was branded as back then. That makes sense about the bands, I guess. We will just order new ones. Thanks!
The photo package has always been called Memory Maker. Many rides have the capability of using the long-range signal to automatically add the photos, but they also have the tapping system at the end for those who do not have magic bands. So you had both options. The newer rides do not have the tapping option.

I have a set from 2015. Two sets, actually. MDE still recognizes them. But I am a little worried about using them. Has anyone successfully used bands that old or older?? Did you miss out on any functionality?

Thanks! :)

I have the same dilemma --- but my question is basically-- will any of your MBs work? Lets just say our ones form last year--- Just booked my trip yesterday, and we have so many, that didn't to order more--- can I bring my ones from last year? If so, do they need to be linked? TIA !!!

I have the same dilemma --- but my question is basically-- will any of your MBs work? Lets just say our ones form last year--- Just booked my trip yesterday, and we have so many, that didn't to order more--- can I bring my ones from last year? If so, do they need to be linked? TIA !!!
Yes, you can use old magic bands. We have so many we just reuse them. They were already linked to our profiles in MDE. We’ve never had an issue with a dead one. We even used one last year that was a first generation band from the beta testing (original design) and it worked. That one did surprise me since I had heard they can die due to an internal battery. I should add that others in the group had newer bands on so I am sure those were used to capture ride pictures. I don’t think the real old ones will do that

For the rides that do not have tap points (Frozen, Pirates, Slinky), the battery powered long range needs to be able to work. The batteries are stated to last about 2 years. I think many people have been able to use bands up to about 3 years old and still have them work. Bands from last year will be fine. My band from fall 2019 worked just fine on my March 2021 trip for the long range features.

Yes, you can use old magic bands. We have so many we just reuse them. They were already linked to our profiles in MDE. We’ve never had an issue with a dead one. We even used one last year that was a first generation band from the beta testing (original design) and it worked. That one did surprise me since I had heard they can die due to an internal battery. I should add that others in the group had newer bands on so I am sure those were used to capture ride pictures. I don’t think the real old ones will do that

Thanks much !!! They ARE listed on MDE, so we should be good--- thanks again for taking the time to reply !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter