What is the oldest thing you still use?

First oldest thing is my body. Second I still have some kitchen utensils that were carried in by my wife when we got married. They are at least 50 years old.

Last edited:
My parents had an old comforter that I started using as a little kid when I was about 5 (I'm 45 now so using for 40 years), for curling up on the couch. I love this blanket. It no longer resembles a comforter, basically looks like 2 worn sheets sewn together with a very thing piece of white batting in between some areas of the sheets. The edges have opened up so I have it tied in about 5 places There are 2 big holes in the center. I have used it every night watching TV on the couch for at least 20 years. It's in horrible shape. It permanently sits balled up on the loveseat. Except when people come over, then it goes in the closet as it's in such shambles and would be an embarrassment to have it out. I am so afraid when I spill something on it and have to wash it that it won't survive. If there's ever a fire that's one of the first things I grab. I told DH when I die that goes with me.

the hall tree in my entryway is from the mid 1800's. it is in daily use.

my toaster is probably 30 years old, it was originally called a Bagel toaster and has one long wide slot instead of two slots side by side. It fits perfectly in my lower kitchen drawer and I haven't been able to find a newer version with one wide slot so even though the push down level is broken and you have to angle and push a certain way, I can't part with it.

Let's see...I still wear sweat pants and a hoodie from college 23 years ago. Still have my law school hoodie from 20 years ago that I wear around the house. My hand mixer is also about 25 years old. I'm kind of a wear it out person. I think I've finally cycled out all my high school clothing. LOL. Being the same height since about 8th grade means I never really "grew out" of anything.

Living and dining room furniture. It belonged to DH’s great grandfather and is about 150 years old.

I have a cast iron skillet I use that was purchased in 1910. My grandmother's grandmother gave it to her.
I have several pieces of cast iron that belonged to my grandmother's grandmother. My grandmother was born in 1913, so these are definitely from the 1800s.

Other things:
- I have my grandmother's dining table and china hutch and my grandfather's desk.
- As for things we've bought ourselves, my husband bought our solid oak breakfast table when he was in college, so that was the early 80s; we've gone through three sets of chairs, but the table still looks great.
- I have hiking boots that I bought at a yard sale for $2 more than 20 years ago.

My laptop that I'm using right now is sitting on some mid century modern nesting teak tables from my childhood. My parents bought them in the 60s. I also have a big ceramic bowl that I made bread in every week as a kid in the 70s. I don't use it for bread anymore, but it sits out in the garage to be handy for occasional kimchi or sauerkraut making (takes a BIG bowl for all that cabbage).

Kitchen table and fridge that is now in the basement works great but doesn’t look good. Both got it in 93.

I have a hoosier cabinet from the 30's I use. My dd uses my grandmother's rolling pin, again from the 30's. I have and use a spindle leg side table my great grandmother won in a fair, she baked or canned something. Most of my stuff is kitchen stuff that I still use from the 30's on up. And, I'm still friends with the girl down the street from when we met at 2 yrs old :)

My husband has a desk/secretary that was his grandfather’s. I estimate it’s about 80-90 years old.

I have my late mother’s Rival crockpot, which I love. It’s about 35 years old. I also have her Rada potato peeler which I use often.

Keep in mind I’m 50 years old…
*a large comb that I’ve had since middle school
*brush that I’ve had for 25 or so years
*a Christmas sweatshirt since middle school

I have other things that are ancient too - I honestly take really good care of my things

Probably a sweatshirt that one of the hockey players from my ice rink gave me when I was 17. I'm 50 now but I love that thing. Memories of better days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter