• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the rumored change for resort parking?

I saw something over the weekend that they will be running a test at Boardwalk to charge for parking for anyone not a Resort guest.
The same thing I saw said they ran a similar test at CR a few months back.
Now I can't remember where I saw it though
Nor did I see an amount that will be charged
And I was not clear on if they would allow those with ADR to park, or with an AP

WDW News today is reporting paid parking for non-resort guests is currently being tested at Boardwalk and Contemporary:

Disney is now testing the concept of paid parking for non-resort guests at Walt Disney World. The concept was recently tested at Disney’s Contemporary Resort and will be tested again soon at Disney’s Boardwalk. The test is the latest attempt by Disney to control parking at the resorts, possibly preventing guests from lying that they are visiting the resorts when they are actually using it as a place to park before visiting one of the Walt Disney World theme parks. Under the possible new policy, guests without reservations or who are not resort guests would have to pay the parking fee in order to park at the resort.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/12/disney-testing-paid-parking-at-walt-disney-world-resort-hotels/

Any word on the amount? I hope it's an hourly rate. If it's a flat $20 like the parks, people will park at Boardwalk or Contemporary for the convenience, making the parking situation worse because now they are doing it legitimately.

I'd like to see what they do at Disneyland for Downtown Disney, it's much more than the parking garage:

Your first 2 hours of parking are free. An additional 2 hours may be validated at AMC Theatres and Downtown Disney District table-service dining restaurants. Beyond that, the cost is $6 for each additional 30-minute increment with a maximum charge of $36.

I can see the draw of parking at all but CBR. What would draw people to park there?

At the now $20 to park at theme parks, I can see plenty of folks saying they are going to have breakfast at a resort, park their car and hop on a bus. It adds up fast if you are offsite.

And at MK you get dropped right up front.

By "who are not resort guests", do they mean of that specific resort or any Disney resort? I am asking, because we were planning on dropping DS at the kid's club at Poly and then getting some drinks at Trader Sam's. We wouldn't have a reservation, since TS doesn't take them. I guess they would let us in to drop off DS. We could also always park at the TTC for Poly. I don't really mind if people who don't stay at the resort have to pay to park there; however, it would definitely cut down on resort hopping and doing any QS or bars at the resorts.

By "who are not resort guests", do they mean of that specific resort or any Disney resort? I am asking, because we were planning on dropping DS at the kid's club at Poly and then getting some drinks at Trader Sam's. We wouldn't have a reservation, since TS doesn't take them. I guess they would let us in to drop off DS. We could also always park at the TTC for Poly. I don't really mind if people who don't stay at the resort have to pay to park there; however, it would definitely cut down on resort hopping and doing any QS or bars at the resorts.
Good question. I am sure that will be in the fine print when it comes out.

I can see the draw of parking at all but CBR. What would draw people to park there?
On our last trip I heard people talking about staying offsite and parking there to use wdw transportation .. free is Free I guess..

I think this is an over reaction to an exaggerated "problem"...if you're honest.

But...if people go to such lengths to avoid such a small fee on what amounts to the most overpriced/expensive week of the year - then their time has come.

As long as they allow "resort hopping" I'm fine with it. Lot's of times we will drive to a WDW resort for dinner and then go watch fireworks and then return to our WDW resort.

I think adding Parking to the Florida Resident Annual Passes will help some with locals. But you still have lots of people that do off site resorts or time-shares that are looking to save money. In a five day trip parking is $100, that adds up....

Of course if they started using Magic Bands on the Buses and Monorails.... the long unenforced rules about "resort guest only" would solve most of those problems.

As long as they allow "resort hopping" I'm fine with it. Lot's of times we will drive to a WDW resort for dinner and then go watch fireworks and then return to our WDW resort.

I think adding Parking to the Florida Resident Annual Passes will help some with locals. But you still have lots of people that do off site resorts or time-shares that are looking to save money. In a five day trip parking is $100, that adds up....

Of course if they started using Magic Bands on the Buses and Monorails.... the long unenforced rules about "resort guest only" would solve most of those problems.

I don't think mb will help with the locals. All AP get mb. And cm have their maingate card to show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter