• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the timeline for getting Global Entry?

This is from the FAQ's on the Trusted Traveler site:

Each family member must create a separate login account and fill out a separate application.
For applicants under the age of 18, legal guardian information must be provided. The legal guardian must accompany the minor applicant to the interview.

For those that have a minor applying It has been posted in another thread that in the past they have allowed the guardian into the interview with the minor.

I was conditionally approved in about a week, The interview took about 5 months for our local airport (Hartford, They're currently showing the first available appointment at that location is July 31st).
I got the email that I was approved before I left the parking lot.

Well, I finished all three of ours today. We'll see what happens.

The only problem I had was an error message saying they could not verify DW's passport. I think it's because of a hyphenated last name, but hopefully it won't be an issue. All of the info was correct and copied directly from the passport.

I'll post an update when we actually get approved.

Jim-
We applied and were approved less than a week later. We made appointment in Dayton (know you are in Florida). Ours were about 8 weeks to schedule out.
Hope you and your wife enjoy your travels!

We applied online and had an appointment within two weeks. The appointment was easy peasy and we had our cards mailed to us within two weeks. Best money ever spent. We’ve used it for both domestic and international travel this year and I don’t think I can ever go without it again. :teeth:

A quick note: I recommend checking your account after you apply. While our accounts were “pending,” I didn’t receive any email notifications but when I popped back into the site, we were no longer pending and the appointments were ready to be booked.
How do you check your account? The application said they would notify us by email, but I don't see any way to access my application status.

My husband, 2 daughters and I all applied for Global Entry on July 13, 2019. My younger daughter and husband got their conditional approval 2 days later, had their interviews and got their cards. My older daughter and i are still waiting for conditional approval. I contacted them in September or October and was told it could take 3-5 months for the conditional approval. I then emailed them on January 9 and got the reply that normal response time for email is 3-5 business days. I'm still waiting to hear back. Tonight I contacted my congresswoman to see if she can assist us. I'll keep you posted here on the latest.
Well, this is very interesting! I just logged into my account and it shows I'm conditionally approved! My older daughter is also conditionally approved. I'm very curious if it's coincidence 2 days after I contacted my congresswoman or if it's due to contacting her.

The next problem is there were no appointments AT ALL available at the 3 locations in Washington state or in Portland. I logged out and then back in and there was just one available next Wednesday at 9:00AM in Blaine, which means I'd have to leave my house by 5:00! Nothing for my daughter though. If I wanted to go to New York, Arizona or Texas, I could get an appointment in the next couple days! :rotfl2:

Not applicable to you OP, but for others reading this thread: DHS just announced New York State residents can no longer apply for Global Entry and other Trusted Traveler programs.

Pre is notably exempt from this stupid policy change though.

Not applicable to you OP, but for others reading this thread: DHS just announced New York State residents can no longer apply for Global Entry and other Trusted Traveler programs.

Pre is notably exempt from this stupid policy change though.

Since the ban in NY also includes people who need to renew, I’m assuming anyone who is currently in the application process in NY will not be allowed in the program as well.

Since the ban in NY also includes people who need to renew, I’m assuming anyone who is currently in the application process in NY will not be allowed in the program as well.
Yes, that's correct as I understand it, but it doesn't apply to all Trusted Traveler Programs -- only those affecting entry into the United States from another country.

What happened is that New York state passed a law prohibiting the use of their DMV system by the US Department of Homeland Security. In processing TTP applications, DHS relies on state DMV records as one of the steps to verify eligibility for TTP. Without access to NY's DMV, they can't verify the applicants and therefore can't issue these privileges.

The change affects both initial applications and renewals of Global Entry, NEXUS (entry from Canada), SENTRI (entry from Canada and Mexico), and FAST, which applies only to commercial truck drivers.

It apparently does NOT affect TSA Pre-check at this time.

Please remember that political comments are violations of the DIS' posting guidelines, so let's not turn this into an off-topic political rant that gets my thread closed. Thanks.

The next problem is there were no appointments AT ALL available at the 3 locations in Washington state or in Portland. I logged out and then back in and there was just one available next Wednesday at 9:00AM in Blaine, which means I'd have to leave my house by 5:00! Nothing for my daughter
When I got my global entry, my husband had applied a a week or two before me. So he had an appointment but I was unable to get one till after a planned trip. I went with him with all my info and he was able to talk them into taking me as a walk in.

I was really lucky I guess, in NYC we have a lot of locations. It took maybe 2 weeks to get my provisional approval email after I applied. The Lower Manhattan one tends to be slammed pretty hard and is usually booked up months at a time. But the office at JFK had slots available all day long so I went the same day I got the email and walked out with my number. The weird thing is I never received a card for land border crossings though.

When I got my global entry, my husband had applied a a week or two before me. So he had an appointment but I was unable to get one till after a planned trip. I went with him with all my info and he was able to talk them into taking me as a walk in.
I'm thinking of possibly doing that with my appointment next Wednesday. I did call the SeaTac Airport office today to ask about walk in appointments (apparently some have them), but they don't have them there. He did say that right now, appointments are all filled in Washington state, but are also only through the end of May. He said hopefully his manager is going to open up June and July appointments by next week. I may hold on to my appointment for now, but try and get a new one for me and have my daughter get one when they open up.

First of all, thanks Caropooh for the info!

Secondly, I wanted to pass along to everyone a conversation I had with a friend this morning.

He and his wife travel a lot and have had Global Entry for five years, so it's expiring soon. They submitted their renewal applications last month and CBP told them the system was so backed up they were extended 6 months to be sure they were covered. Big relief to my buddy because they're traveling next month.

First of all, thanks Caropooh for the info!

Secondly, I wanted to pass along to everyone a conversation I had with a friend this morning.

He and his wife travel a lot and have had Global Entry for five years, so it's expiring soon. They submitted their renewal applications last month and CBP told them the system was so backed up they were extended 6 months to be sure they were covered. Big relief to my buddy because they're traveling next month.
Yes, I had read that too, so I applied to renew a year in advance (the earliest the website would allow), even though the website said I'd automatically be extended six months beyond expiration date. I was approved in less than a week (no interview needed, thank goodness, although apparently some renewals do need interviews) and received my new card about a week after that. And it's good for five years from the original expiration date, meaning six years from now!

Yes, I had read that too, so I applied to renew a year in advance (the earliest the website would allow), even though the website said I'd automatically be extended six months beyond expiration date. I was approved in less than a week (no interview needed, thank goodness, although apparently some renewals do need interviews) and received my new card about a week after that. And it's good for five years from the original expiration date, meaning six years from now!
That’s good to know. Ours expire in November and December. We’ve been planning to apply for renewal after we return from a summer European cruise in July, but your experience suggests we might go ahead and do it now without any expiration date penalty. Hoping for the no interview renewal.

We love Global Entry. It was totally worth it. When we came back from Costa Rica last month the line for everyone else was really long and ours was nonexistent.

That’s good to know. Ours expire in November and December. We’ve been planning to apply for renewal after we return from a summer European cruise in July, but your experience suggests we might go ahead and do it now without any expiration date penalty. Hoping for the no interview renewal.
Yes, you might want to check the website now. There's a new website (different from the one on which we applied years ago) for which you have to create an account and be assigned a special "personal key" before you can even begin the renewal application process.

Yes, you might want to check the website now. There's a new website (different from the one on which we applied years ago) for which you have to create an account and be assigned a special "personal key" before you can even begin the renewal application process.
Thank you. That would be the login.gov website. We already have accounts set up and personal keys assigned, since they were needed when we prepared passport renewal applications last summer. Nice two-factor authentication features to enhance security.

How do you check your account? The application said they would notify us by email, but I don't see any way to access my application status.

I don’t remember all the details but we had created usernames and passwords for the trusted traveler site (in order to apply for global entry). When I signed into that, I could see application pending...and eventually application approved (and pick appt dates).

Assuming I’m remembering it correctly...:scared:

I don’t remember all the details but we had created usernames and passwords for the trusted traveler site (in order to apply for global entry). When I signed into that, I could see application pending...and eventually application approved (and pick appt dates).

Assuming I’m remembering it correctly...:scared:
Yes, thanks. Caropooh explained it to me. The login was hidden in plain view, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter