• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the vaccine passport meant to do?

FairestOfThemAll37

DIS Veteran
Vaccines passports have been in the media a lot lately as vaccines ramp up as a way to get things back to normal, but I’m struggling at this point to understand the purpose of them except for safety illusion.

So the CDC and other public health officials keep harping that it’s still possible to transmit covid as a vaccinated person thus the need for continued social distancing except within families (and the info on that even seems to be flip flopping lately).

Vaccine passport discussions all seem to indicate that the passport will show proof of vaccination OR proof of neg covid test OR proof of recovery from covid. What good is that if vaccinated people and those who have recovered can still get the virus and spread covid to the group that has no antibodies but has tested negative? This whole thing makes zero sense to me given the messaging and continued assumption that vaccinated people may be able to spread covid. This all seems like it’s just for show.

Am I missing something crucial here? Are they assuming by the time these roll out that they’ll have data showing vaccinated people cannot transmit covid? Are we just grasping for some pretend control to ease the economic and social impacts of covid?

It makes as much sense as Hawaii requiring a covid test 72 hours prior to arrival. In that 72 hours you could lick 20 people with covid or you could lock your self in a covid proof clean room. The arriving travelers are treated the same.

Personally, I believe there will be places and activities, and even employment, that will require you to be vaccinated in order to be there. I think, for example, the cruise industry will require it. I think the “passport” is just an organized and country-wide or even world-wide, way to do that, since states have not always been on the same page. There needs to be a streamlined and simple way to prove you are qualified to go places or to do things where the vaccine is required. You may not need to use it daily. In the cruise example, you would show proof at boarding and they would know. Theme parks, if they decided to use it, might require you to show it each day when you enter a park. An employer would only need to see it when you are hired.

I don’t know if any of this will come to pass, but that’s what has been going through my mind when I hear it’s being considered.

Indications are, for example, that possibly airlines and cruise lines would require proof of vaccination. If everybody on board was vaccinated, apparently remote chance of cross spreading of the virus. Other examples would be similar. Sort of like certain shots required now to travel to certain countries. Makes sense.

I have not heard of what you speak of. They have no clue if you can spread the virus if you are vacinated, and the latest resurch is that they are leaning towards you cant. But they still do not know. I also have not saw any government agency toting a vaccine passport. Maybe politicians or news folk talk about it, but thats all it is talk. I can see airlines and cruises requiring some form of proof to limit there liabilities. I think thats where the passport talking comes in. I dont see it happening.

Note that US airlines joined together to formally ask for a unified approach to a passport but that they firmly believed they should not be required for domestic travel.

I know, I'm a bit confused with the whole "show" your proof of vaccination card?? If you are vaccinated but can still be a carrier....who cares if everyone else is vaccinated and guaranteed not to die. And if said people aren't vaccinated it should obviously be their choice to risk their own health when traveling. And if the unvaccinated do get Covid and give it to it a vaccinated person .....that person won't be getting very sick, thus is why they got vaccinated.

Please someone clarify if I'm wayyyy off base......:)

Ihttps://amp.ft.com/content/c41ba74d-0e34-4a73-b258-d106217b6786
Iceland is planning for them. I think other countries will follow.

A couple cruise lines announced they will require the Covid vaccine.
I share the same concern and question as the OP. I don’t quite understand the logic as they aren’t sure the Covid vaccine stops transmission, so what’s the point of a Covid passport at this point?

Am I missing something crucial here? Are they assuming by the time these roll out that they’ll have data showing vaccinated people cannot transmit covid? Are we just grasping for some pretend control to ease the economic and social impacts of covid?

I think so, yes. Most vaccines drastically reduce if not entirely eliminate transmission, and the early data suggests that the covid vaccine does so as well. But because they don't want people abandoning all mitigation efforts as soon as they are vaccinated, public health authorities are not talking too much about that angle just yet.

And when it comes to cruises, international travel, etc. vaccine passports also assure the country/company that the travelers they're welcoming are not likely to need extensive medical treatment if they are exposed to covid while traveling. Which doesn't matter when it comes to contagion, but could matter in terms of medical resources and/or disruptions and delays.

A couple cruise lines announced they will require the Covid vaccine.
I share the same concern and question as the OP. I don’t quite understand the logic as they aren’t sure the Covid vaccine stops transmission, so what’s the point of a Covid passport at this point?
I think if 100% of a group (all passengers on a cruise ship for example) were vaccinated, very little to no chance of cross infection to anybody. However, if there were, for example, 4,000 vaccinated people on a ship and 1,000 not, those 1,000 may very well be in danger of infection, IF vaccines do not eliminate asymptomatic spread.

It makes as much sense as Hawaii requiring a covid test 72 hours prior to arrival. In that 72 hours you could lick 20 people with covid or you could lock your self in a covid proof clean room. The arriving travelers are treated the same.
I am laughing at the picture in my head of people running around licking other people's faces inside Pittsburgh International Airport. Wow, what a visual! 🤣 🤣🤣

The digital health passports started to be used by airlines months ago. It's no longer a question of whether or not they are coming -- that writing was on the wall a long time ago. The only thing up for discussion now is not how much they expand but how quickly. Like it or not, traveling (especially abroad) will be much easier with it.

Hawaii also has some of the strictest precautions, best contact tracing, and (not coincidentally) the lowest case rates in the US.

The program is not perfect but it at least prevents some positive cases from coming to their state.

While other countries and possibly certain things like airlines and cruises may ask for them or require them it brings up an interesting dilemma. Can they legally be required in every instance? Can an employer make it a requirement? Fortunately for me my employer has already announced it will not be a condition of returning to work. I find it interesting to see how the people who are anti vaxxers will react. It brings up some really interesting Constitutional issues as well.

Finally I find it interesting the amount of articles and press that says that the vaccine, is not really a vaccine. Countless sources say that the vaccine will lessen the effects of COVID and make it more like a cold than the full blown sickness. Additionally even when vaccinated you can still carry the virus. So unlike true vaccines this one does not make you immune it just prevents it from being deadly.

I am sure this is going to be fun over the next year.

How will they handle the fact that children can’t be vaccinated yet? I’ve heard kids might not be eligible until next year for the vaccine. Will they still be able to fly or go on cruises before then?

Vaccine passports won’t ever become a thing.

So many places aren't giving out any proof of being vaccinated. Many times, the only thing someone has to show for it is their online registration. But, that’s not necessarily proof of getting it. That’s just proof of registering or scheduling a shot. And, I know for a fact that one definitely won’t have any sort of evidence from getting a leftover shot at the end of the day at CVS’s around me.

Vaccines passports have been in the media a lot lately as vaccines ramp up as a way to get things back to normal, but I’m struggling at this point to understand the purpose of them except for safety illusion.

So the CDC and other public health officials keep harping that it’s still possible to transmit covid as a vaccinated person thus the need for continued social distancing except within families (and the info on that even seems to be flip flopping lately).

Vaccine passport discussions all seem to indicate that the passport will show proof of vaccination OR proof of neg covid test OR proof of recovery from covid. What good is that if vaccinated people and those who have recovered can still get the virus and spread covid to the group that has no antibodies but has tested negative? This whole thing makes zero sense to me given the messaging and continued assumption that vaccinated people may be able to spread covid. This all seems like it’s just for show.

Just pointing out that the vaccine does not prevent the disease, it means that, if you get the disease, you'll not require hospitalization or die from it.

The point of knowing if someone is fully vaccinated would mean, if you do get COVID while on the cruise, the odds are better that you won't require major medical intervention (a problem on a cruise ship and in many countries).

It's unknown for sure at this time whether people can still transmit COVID if they're fully vaccinated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter