• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the worst injury/illness you have had

There have been so many. Appendix that burst as they took it out, tonsils out at 18 just before my wedding. 3 kids and then 1 c-section for the 4th. Gall bladder out, hernia, torn cartilage in my knee fixed and pneumonia so many times I can't remember them all. The biggest one I remember was when I had H1N1 with the pneumonia. 103 to 104 temp, hard to breath in the hospital in an isolation room. I also deal with arthritis, Hashimotos disease and fibromyalgia all the time. Oh how can I forget the burns. 2nd and 3rd degree on my foot after spilling boiling water out of a kettle on my foot and the best on was the boiling water spilt on the top of my leg that had just had surgery on it the day before. The whole top of my leg had 2nd and 3rd degree burns.
tigercat

I've been so lucky as well. I've never had stitches, broken bones, surgery, or hospitalized illness. But I did have a placental abruption when I was eight weeks pregnant. I was on bed rest for 4 months and then gave birth to my healthy miracle baby a month early. She's turning 16 this year. :love:

Last edited:
For injuries, I've always been a cautious soul. I've never broken a bone, gotten a cut that needed stitches, or had a serious burn. Just the usual scrapes, nicks, and scorches.

For sick, I had Bright's Disease (I don't think that name is used any more -- it's lumped under nephritis) when I was 7. Near total kidney shutdown. I missed five weeks of school, and one doctor told my mom to take me home and make me comfortable for what time I had left. Darn it, she got a second opinion, so I didn't get a life of leisure out of the deal. I did spend those five weeks in bed, and it was touch and go for a while I'm told.

I am a total klutz and have a SEVERE latex allergy.

Got hit by a car age 8 Police told parents I didn't make it. I must be chopped liver :confused3 still here. Fell 500 feet down a mountain and was told I would never walk again. :crutches:Um wrong again. Put my foot out to keep an elevator door open and got a compound fracture.

Ran a half marathon in 2 hr 7 minutes then 2 weeks later had a stroke at work. Good thing I work in a hospital.

Had a doctor flip me in the face with latex gloves and I hit the floor in less than 2 minutes in respiratory arrest. Good thing he was an anesthesiologists and could put a breathing tube down.

My momma always said there is someone better off than you and there is someone worse off than you. Momma is always right.

I had an emergency appendectomy a couple of months ago. 2 days later I was all swollen & thought it was an allergic reaction. Squad took me to the hospital & it turns out I had acute congestive heart failure. Every doctor I saw said I'm 30 years younger than the patients they usually see and they only had a theory about what caused it, they weren't sure. I'm fine now :)

e-coli sepsis - I was on life support for a week in a medically induced coma. Not expected to live. Most people (90%) do not survive this. I was fortunately oblivious to all of this. I felt bad, went to ER about 9 hours later. It hits very quickly.

Another reason never to eat at Chipotle again.

You got the e-coli from Chipotle? Thank goodness you survived.

Worst injury: broken collarbone when I was 20. You never realize how many muscles connect to your collarbone until you're trying to get yourself up out of bed in the morning. Bless my college roommate, who would help raise me out of bed and help me put on my harness.

I was 2 weeks into my 4 weeks of healing when a drunk fraternity brother knocked me down, re-breaking it. Had to start the healing process all over again.

Worst illness: I've been blessed--nothing major. Worst was gallstones. Wow, that was 6 months of terrible pain before I finally got a correct diagnosis and had my gallbladder removed.

Arthritis - Total hip replacement 9/1/15. If you are wavering about having this done, do it. Instant relief from hip pain (surgical pain lasted a week). I was back riding my horses in 7 weeks.

Thyroid cancer (follicular)

I have too
Arthrosis
Fibromyalgia
Discal hernia (walk with a cane)
Chronic tendonitis at my right shoulder

Viral meningitis...I don't remember the first 3 days in the hospital.
Broken ankle...chipped my heel bone, dislocated ankle, tore ligaments and fractured bones. I have a plate and 6 screws (I had 7, but one came loose...boy did they tease me about that lol).

I had the opposite- thought it was my appendix it and turned out that a large cyst on my ovary burst. They removed the appendix and tried (but failed) to salvage the ovary
That must have been what they thought was wrong with me. Sorry to hear they couldn't salvage the ovary. :(

Injury - I got a concussion ice skating several years ago. The actual injury was bad, but not even close to being the worst part. For the first couple of weeks after I was dizzy most of the time and had a throbbing headache. Then it was just severe vertigo for almost exactly a year. Oh that sucked. I couldn't move my head without the room spinning so bad I had to hold onto my husband so I wouldn't fall out of the bed (when getting into and out of bed). And I still won't ice skate. About 6 months ago I put on ice skates (after several visits to the rink) and just stood by the ice. I couldn't do it. Probably never will again - not worth it. I still get a rare vertigo spell.

Illness - I have ulcerative colitis. I had my first flare about 10 years ago. I googled the symptoms and all it said was cancer. Scared the heck out of me, but got me right to a doctor. The doctor diagnosed it right away after my colonoscopy. The disease hasn't been terrible, especially now that my treatment is working. The prep for the colonoscopy is the worst. But it does seem to get easier every time. I was beyond excited when they told me I can skip a year, but starting next year I'll be having annual scopes. Oh yay.

I got to say the worse illness is when I had cellulitis in my lower left leg. I was hospitalized for 2 weeks with that. I had never felt so sick in my life. High fevers of 104 with severe stomach issues. My whole lower leg was swollen really bad and I have these huge blisters that would pop and liquid would come gushing out. I am allergic to such antibiotics as penicillin and flagyl. Flagyl is one of the main antibiotics that they give someone for this. By the end of that hospital stay I was a nervous wreck.

Worst was a long time ago 3rd degree burns on most of my leg when I was 10. almost 8 weeks in a burn center and several operations just to keep my leg.

Influenza that became bronchitis that became double pneumonia.

I pretty much don't remember November 2011.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter