• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is this coming out of my dog's fur???

luv2sleep

DIS Veteran
Dog fur help. My dog is losing hair. The vet did tests and said it looks like malassezia (yeast). Fungal cultures are pending. She said he did not have mites. She have me this chlorehexidine/antibacterial shampoo (Duoxo) to use twice a week. Well I used it tonight and was creeped put by dark brown small things coming out of his fur! They didn't move but I swear they looked like insects! He doesn't have fleas but they were that size. What are they??? I'm beyond creeped out.

So did he rule out scabies?

She didn't mention scabies but said there were no mites. I just read a little about mites. They are microscopic so it couldn't have been those. Scabies in humans are also microscopic. Someone said fleas but I've never seen a flea. He's a house dog and we've never had flea bites and prior I've been told by the vet that he didn't have fleas. She didn't mention fleas this time but I'll ask.

Can you post a picture?
Save some in a baggie for the vet.

Can you post a picture?
Save some in a baggie for the vet.

I didn't take a picture. Once I rinsed him it was all gone. I was too creeped out to collect any for the vet. I thought about it but just had to keep going.

Were they small scabs?

Could have been I guess. They were oblong dark brown tiny thing the size of fleas. He doesn't have fleas though but as I was washing him they just started coming out. The stuff isn't a flea shampoo either so if it was fleas they should have been jumping or at least moving.

OK, so I googled... this could be canine lice with his hair loss due to scratching. From this website: "If your dog has been scratching himself more than normal it could be due to lice. Lice are very small, but can usually be seen by the human eye. They look like little black dots and have a clear lining around them. They do not really look like bugs, but more like dirt."

Bleh.... WHY do I do this to myself?!?! Now I'm all itchy.

When my dog had this issue (excessive fur loss and scratching. He scratched himself some serieous wounds!) one vet told us to wash him every 2-3 days with a special shampoo. Considering the size of our dog (100+ pounds!), I wasn't too enthousiastic about that.
Went to get a second and third opinion.
Those said to use a product on his fur. Can't remember the name, but use was similar to Advantix. However, I am sure it must have stung since he almost bit me.
Two weeks later: no more scratching, no more excessive fur loss.

Also had brown things coming out of fur, but vet said it was "skin particles".

Anyway, we are glad we went for the second and third opinion. If I really had to, I would have bathed hime every 2-3 days, but am glad I had an alternative. That worked!

My dog had a staph infection during which she lost small batches of fur and had scabs that looked brownish that came out with the fur. I worried about some sort of mites too but it wasn't that. She was also scratching a lot in those areas and was misdiagnosed as having ringworm (because one of our cats we had just adopted had it, so it seemed like it must have been that). She got better quickly once we got a topical ointment and steroids (I think the steroids are what really helped).

I bet they were scabs esp. if he has a yeast infection and was scratching himself silly.

Hopefully they were not LICE! Ewww... My guess is that the vet would have spotted that first thing.

The water did not turn brown-reddish did it? That would be dried blood.

It is really hard to say without more information and pictures.

What kind of dog is he and how old? Some breeds have skin issues.

How long has this been going on and what happened?

How do you mean it when you say the dog is losing his hair? Like, how much are we talking? And what is the pattern?

Were all of these things cigar shaped? Or just some of them? (There is a cigar shaped mite, but it is usually under the skin, and as you said, microscopic.)

You could always get another opinion from a veterinary dermatologist.

OK, so I googled... this could be canine lice with his hair loss due to scratching. From this website: "If your dog has been scratching himself more than normal it could be due to lice. Lice are very small, but can usually be seen by the human eye. They look like little black dots and have a clear lining around them. They do not really look like bugs, but more like dirt." Bleh.... WHY do I do this to myself?!?! Now I'm all itchy.

I know how you feel!!! I've been borderline nauseous ever since.

I think these are it! But why wouldn't the vet have seen it? Well I didn't see it. I don't see them now. It's bizarre that they just appeared out nowhere.

It is really hard to say without more information and pictures. What kind of dog is he and how old? Some breeds have skin issues. How long has this been going on and what happened? How do you mean it when you say the dog is losing his hair? Like, how much are we talking? And what is the pattern? Were all of these things cigar shaped? Or just some of them? (There is a cigar shaped mite, but it is usually under the skin, and as you said, microscopic.) You could always get another opinion from a veterinary dermatologist.

He's a 8-9 yo chihuahua rescue. 7 pound dog. Light brown very short hair. I started noticing the profound hair loss around his neck and chest 1.5 weeks ago. He was not excessively scratching. Their are no areas of biting. No scabs or skin break down. They were the shape and size of fleas but did not move. I think they are lice as posted above. I was not using an anti live or flea shampoo. Just the Duoox PS.

My older dog suffered from skin infections from yeast and the best piece of advice I can give you is to feed your dog yogurt (the plain, organic kind with all of the "good" bacteria). It sounds gross, but I could smell when she was overloaded with yeast and started to give her about 1/4 cup of Stonyfields plain yogurt (big container with a cow on the front) twice a day and it would clear up almost immediately.

Also, a flaky brown scab could be from pancreas issues-maybe look into having that checked too.

He's a 8-9 yo chihuahua rescue. 7 pound dog. Light brown very short hair. I started noticing the profound hair loss around his neck and chest 1.5 weeks ago. He was not excessively scratching. Their are no areas of biting. No scabs or skin break down. They were the shape and size of fleas but did not move. I think they are lice as posted above. I was not using an anti live or flea shampoo. Just the Duoox PS.
Strange, if your vet said specifically he did not have lice. In such a small dog, you'd think they would have been noticable if so many came off during the bath. Was your dog somewhere where he would have picked these up? Did you call your vet back to discuss? (As this would mean her diagnosis was incorrect, right - unless your dog has both, which is probably unlikely.) It really would have been helpful to save some. So, look around his bedding and such and you will probably find some more if they were mites. Save some in a baggie to take to the vet. If it is mites, your dog will need to be re-evaluated and given the proper treatment, and you will also need to make sure you clean your environment at home so he doesn't become re-infected. IF this is what it is. (And I have no idea if it is or not!) Good luck, at any rate! Let us know what happens.

Strange, if your vet said specifically he did not have lice. In such a small dog, you'd think they would have been noticable if so many came off during the bath. Was your dog somewhere where he would have picked these up? Did you call your vet back to discuss? (As this would mean her diagnosis was incorrect, right - unless your dog has both, which is probably unlikely.) It really would have been helpful to save some. So, look around his bedding and such and you will probably find some more if they were mites. Save some in a baggie to take to the vet. If it is mites, your dog will need to be re-evaluated and given the proper treatment, and you will also need to make sure you clean your environment at home so he doesn't become re-infected. IF this is what it is. (And I have no idea if it is or not!) Good luck, at any rate! Let us know what happens.

The vet isn't open yet (I'm in CA) but I'm calling when they are. The vet did not specifically say your dig does not have lice. Are did say he doesn't have mites.

So I'm confused about the mites...if they are microscopic how would I see anything in his bedding?

Oh yeah I put everything possible in the sanitize deep steam wash last night. I took up all of the blankets my son uses to make tents and fort with him. It's all going in. Even pillows from the couch that he uses. The dog's stuffies went in too. My son's stuffed animals look ok (they also join the fort party) but probably everyone that can is going in today!

next time always save some!! Human or animal it is always best to save some.
We always loved it in the ER when people would bring stuff in

Any chance they were ticks? feel your dog all over especially under the legs behind the ears.

Ok so vet said it's likely that the shampoo cleaned out the yeast and the stuff coming out was from his pores. Dead skin and stuff. She said she would have seen lice so it's not likely that but let's go ahead and treat that just in case. Waiting for a call back about what I'm going to give him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter