What is too much - first timers

Ariel853

Earning My Ears
We are heading to Universal for the first time in early June staying from Monday - Monday. We are a family of 4 with DH, DS (15), DD (12) and have been to Disney numerous times for at least a week at a time.

I have been reading all the boards and have put some posts out as well. So I have a lot of questions.

Here is what I know...

We are staying at Royal Pacific.

Want to schedule the Tony fella - based on the amazing reviews here- for transportation.

We have discover cove tickets for Saturday (the package deal so we can do the other parks free).

We want to do Sea World - my kids LOVE rollercoasters and all rides so we will want to do rides and shows. Will one day be enough (I was thinking a Thursday may not be as busy)?

If we only do Sea World one day would you suggest the Aquatica? Is that an entire day?

Do I need 2 or 3 days for the Univeral Parks?

Do they have any specials for early June on Univeral tickets like the buy 2 get one free and if so where do I get them?

If I do 3 day passes (and discounts aren’t available) is it best to get APs?

I was only planning our arrival day as our only resort- explore day, is that enough.

Sorry for all the questions - I don’t know how I would plan a vacation without this board!!

I’d get lots of Park day tickets because after discovery cove for example, you could pop over to Universal for a few rides when you return to the resorts. Same with arrival day. Even if you just go over, walk around, get the lay of the land- it’ll be great.
I don’t know the days/ AP break even anymore.

I did Aquatica as a half day - the crowd level and how much you re-ride may effect that. I enjoyed Aquatica more than Volcano Bay, for what that's worth. Their rapid "lazy" river is the bomb! We spent 2 full days at Sea World and would have enjoyed more time. We did the big roller coasters (FANTASTIC), all the shows, and checked out all the exhibits. There is no way to do that all in 1 day, so if you do just one day plan ahead what your priorities will be.

I agree with bchbetha - depending on cost, the ability to go to Universal for a few hours on your "off" days may be worth while. Otherwise, you'll have your pool, as much SW or Aquatica as you choose, and any other Universal hotel pool to enjoy. So you certainly won't be bored if you don't hit the actual Universal parks daily. You can also hit City Walk with or without park tickets, so lots of dinner options.

If you're driving to SW / Aquatica, and planning a day at each (or more), upgrade one of your DC tickets to the package that includes Busch Gardens and free parking at all the parks. DC has free parking already, but each other one charges $20+ so the $25 upgrade is a no-brainer.

Check out the prices on day tickets vs. annual passes. Beware of any relevant blockout dates. If it were me, I'd plan at least 3 Universal days to be able to take your time. The express passes will help make sure you have your fill of rides, but it's so nice not to feel rushed as you soak in the atmosphere.

Have an excellent time!

Hi two years ago we stayed at Universal Cabana Bay and had a 5 day park to park ticket. I did this because we wanted to put more time in with the Universal parks which included two days at Volcano Bay.

I did do a Discovery Cove day but did not use the tickets that came with it. I never put in enough time in the schedule. I have been doing a lot of research on Sea World as we are doing Discovery Cove again this year but going to the Sea World parks. I am staying in a time share. We will skip Universal this year only cause of finances. ( I could go to Uni every year and never get tired of it)
Sea World has a lot to do as a whole. There are only 3 high thrill coasters then several smaller rides. You do have a lot of animal encounters and shows. Will one day be enough? I am planning a full day from open to close there. We will do the three coasters and the other stuff. I will put another half day aside for Sea World if I feel we didn't see everything. If you are only going for the coasters one day will be enough. If you want to see the whole park you may need another half day.

I have not been to Aquatica we did VB that year. I have heard good things about Aquatica and if you like water parks then I would at least go a half day with the free admission. For water parks we generally we will be there at opening and stay till after lunch when the crowds get heavy. It depends on how many of the rides interest you would determine the length of time there. I found that there is a lot for us so we may do a whole day.

I will always say the more time at Universal Parks the better LOL! However, realistically you could do it in two days with the express pass. We like to take our time, browse and do rides again if we want.

You could try Undercover Tourist and the Universal site for tickets. I know there is a deal now but not sure when it expires. As far as an AP you have to look at the comparisons. There are several levels that you could choose. The lower one has black out dates . It could work out that it is cheaper.

Universal resorts are really nice. Actually they are one of my favorites. We are a resort down time family so we usually put a day and a half there. It could be enough time for you it depends on your touring style.

Tony Hinds is amazing! We use him every time we go to Universal!

Enjoy your trip!

Our Universal/Sea World trip we found it easier to spend 3 nights at Universal and then move to a hotel near Sea World. Did Discovery Cove one day, then we spent part of a day at Aquatica but didn't really enjoy it so much. We spent parts of 3 days at Sea World - there are a lot of shows and exhibits, and great coasters. I don't think you can see and do it all in one day.

If you plan to do 3 days of Universal parks, you could look into an AP for discounts but staying 7 nights the Stay More Save More rate available to everyone may be comparable to the AP rate.

All the above posts are great!

My thoughts are 3 days minimum for UO parks
One day each park and a third day for repeating favorites at both parks

You save a lot of ride wait times with the ep
And you will be able to set the pace of covering the parks

Do lunch in the parks and City Walk for dinners those 3 UO park days

What one poster suggested, hit the parks for a few hours late evening when you return from your other day trips offsite from UO

Look at the park maps online so you will get a decent idea of what is in the parks and the layout
Know in advance where first aide, guest service, restrooms, street entertainment (times and locations) can be found

Take a look at the SeaWorld, DC, etc forum
Useful info in those threads

Many of us have used Tony Hinds transportation and have been extremely satisfied with his services

You can book him way in advance or a few days out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter