what is up w/ pin tradeing?

Disneyfreaknjw

I Can't live without disney cause im a disney frea
hey! to all u disers out there! just wanted to ask ive seen pins in the park and was wondering about them! what do u do w/ them? i have seen people w/ 100s of pins! whats up?:earseek: :confused:

A lot of people collect and trade them. It is a lot of fun and it can get to be very addicting.

I have right around 100 pins..and didn't think that was too many. :p

I think pins are kind of addictive (like the DIS!)! We started by getting just a few "special" pins each trip (like one that said Spring Break 2000) because they were a neat souvenir of our trip. Then, we would pick up one or two to have because it was our favorite character or ride.

Then we had to get lanyards because we would buy so many in one trip that we didn't want to just leave them on the cardboard it came on. Then, we talked pins to CMs and they would point out ones that were more rare. Then we bought the magazine that has all of the pins made. Then we had to buy the big pin binder to hold the pins we didn't want to trade.

It is a fun pasttime and a great way to chat with CMs! I like looking at other guests lanyards to see what pins they have and ask why they picked that particular pin. It is a great conversation starter! A great way to make the trip to Disney more about the people that you meet!

My DD loves pin trading but I am not a fan of sending an 8 yo to a park with a $300 necklace:p I buy pins at the outlet which makes her "necklace" about $30-40. She loves trading and getting her favorites. She earns these before the trip for great test scores, cleaning her room, etc.

This really cuts down on souvenier spending.

When I am at the parks alone, I trade 3-5 pins. She usually gives me a theme and I hunt since she wasn't with me. (One trip was all monsters inc., one all dwarfs, etc.)

I don't get the thousand dollar collectors but for her (and my perfect souvenier when she is bummed I did a solo trip), I love it.

JMHO
Sandy

I try to buy 1 for each of my girls on each trip. the display them on their dressers or wear them on their dresses/hats/jackets...i cannot see trading them though.

We got a few free ones when we checked in, my son did not like the ones he got so he traded to get better ones. i think some people buy the $6.50 ones and trade up for what they want.

My guess is whoever came up with this got a big raise it is a huge money maker. The pins are in every store on Disney property.

We buy a few each trip, I think this last trip we bought about 10 between the 3 of us and probably have a collection of 30-35 ...This has to be one of the more profitable things at Disney right now, the way people buy them up is amazing!!!!!

My kids LOVED trading with the CM's, they got to talk to them about disney, where they were from ect...

I was lucky enough to get a bunch of pins at the Disney Store when they were 75% off & still had some left. My kids got 1 pin each day to trade for something new.

They also brought some of their own "older" pins from previous trips to trade for newer pins.

I think they each bought a few pins with their own money, but for the most part they were content to watch on the CM's lanyards for special pins. This trading took extra time, but we were able to meet some great CM's & have more memories of something "special" at disney!

Do you really need more than one lanyard?

Supposedly only the pins you wish to trade would be put on it. (You may want to put newly acquired pins you want to keep on the lanyard also but facing backwards out of sight.)

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Old admission tickets and child tickets should be upgraded only with an even exchange, no money paid.

Pin trading, as a hobby has been around for a long long time. Personally, I began collecting pins 20 years ago (haven't done much trading, so much as collecting), but, even then, the trading of pins was long established as a means of showing friendship and comradery with those whom you meet. According to the Disney Official Pin Trading website, trading such as this had been the norm at Disney properties. It has also been a huge draw at the Olympics (pin trading pavillions that require no passes, tickets or anything special to be able to share with folks from many nations) Really, it was only a matter of time until they capitalized on the phenomenon and make it even bigger than it already was. Disney had been manufacturing pins for years and years. Now, they mushroomed what was already a pretty big operation (I still remember buying flag pins at a shop located near WS - and I still have those pins) and made it even bigger by expanding the "official" pins and encouraging CMs to not only acquire them, but to trade with guests (it was already happening anyway, so why not work it out to make a little more money). Anyway, that is a brief history of pins (as I know it). I hope this was helpful.

Not only is is encouraged for CM's to trade, we were told they can not refuse a trade, period.

I don't know why people would think trading Disney pins is silly? I mean, it's no different than trading or collecting anything else....baseball card, hats, figurines, etc. Pins become very valuable.

I haven't started trading yet since I haven't been to WDW for a long time but I have started a small collection from souvenirs that people have brought back for me.

Ali

It is just another way for Disney to generate revenue.

I have a friend who buys them in bulk from overseas and sells them on E-bay and makes a killing.
Pins become very valuable
I don't think the Disney pins will become valuable. There are so-o-o-o-o-o many of each produced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter