• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is up with Frozen?!

Disco

Hail Eris!
Why are Frozen's international takes so low? It has only done about $56m so far when it should be more around like $260m! Did Disney have a limited release outside the US or something?
At this pace it might barely beat Planes in total take. However, once you subtract the 150 million it cost to make it, it won't be a very successful (monetarily) movie overall.
Please tell me that it just had a delayed release internationally. I can't imagine that the story isn't selling well abroad. Or can it be that the cold theme just not clicking with people in the winter?

We used to go see every Disney movie but I have to say frozen really doesn't appeal to me so I'm not driven to go see it. It has been released both in the UK and France. It strikes me as more of a girls film and we tend to go more for unisex as we have girls and bits.

It's only had a few days in some big foreign markets. It opened on the 4th, 5th, or 6th in Belgium, France, Hungary, and the UK.

The US numbers are huge compared to Planes so I'm guessing it's just going to take some time to catch up overseas.

Release dates were staggered: Frozen Release Dates - IMDb.

Looks like most of the international release dates are in December.

It's only had a few days in some big foreign markets. It opened on the 4th, 5th, or 6th in Belgium, France, Hungary, and the UK.

The US numbers are huge compared to Planes so I'm guessing it's just going to take some time to catch up overseas.

Phew,
Makes me feel a little better. That would put sales a couple weeks behind our domestic takes. Should know after next weekend I guess if this is the case.

We used to go see every Disney movie but I have to say frozen really doesn't appeal to me so I'm not driven to go see it. It has been released both in the UK and France. It strikes me as more of a girls film and we tend to go more for unisex as we have girls and bits.

My grandson loved it. I wasn't enthused about taking him, but it was the best Disney film I've seen in a while. They made a big effort to add things which appeal to boys.

I'm from the UK and loved it! It was only released here on Friday we went on Sunday morning and the cinema was packed, the Christmas holidays start this week for some schools and next week for most schools I know a lot of my friends are waiting until the holidays to go and see it xx

Disco said:
Phew,
Makes me feel a little better. That would put sales a couple weeks behind our domestic takes. Should know after next weekend I guess if this is the case.

Don't worry about Frozen at all! It set a Thanksgiving opening record, it was #1 the second weekend, and it is set up to do well throughout the holiday season! Not to mention rave reviews and a very rare A+ Cinemascore. Frozen has also performed well where it opened overseas and it does have a rolling foreign release. It is handily outperforming both Wreck-it Ralph and Tangled and should make about $250 million domestically and over $500 million total. It might even crack $600 million. I follow box office info at Boxofficemojo.com where you can read their reports and predictions.

Honestly, I went with both my 7 year old girly girl and my 14 year old son. We all loved it! Also, most of my son'a friends that have seen in also really liked it.

We went to see Frozen its opening weekend. My boys (8 and 6) don't like movies, and they especially don't like going to the movies. But they loved Frozen! they actually said they would like to go see it again in the theater and buy the DVD when it's out.

For me, hands down, it's my favorite Disney movie ever. Probably in the top 5 of my favorite overall movies!

My boys LOVED this movie and my 11 year old (who thinks she is a boy) did as well. It actually is less "girly" then most. Just thought I would let you know my opinion on it incase you do decide to go. The male characters are actually really great in it and it is not your traditional love story which was really nice as well.

The movie was much better than the previews. My boys who are 11 and 8 and want nothing to do with anything "girly" loved it!

It hasn't opened in Australia yet. This time of year, all the major distributors hold 'blockbusters' for Boxing Day. It's our summer holidays and most families have time off and go see the movies together.

Anecdotally, all my friends, Disney fans or not, have Frozen on their hit list this year.

Can someone answer me, that in the age of internet piracy, movies are released on different dates in different countries

I thought the previews were awful. The whole moose and snowman thing? What? I don't get it. I am a big Disney fan and have seen the preview several times and couldn't tell you what the movie is about.

My DS6 LOVED it! It was his favorite movie this year over DM2, Planes, Monsters U and Epic. He spent most of the movie laughing and still says lines from the movie daily and cracks himself up.

We've had 'clips' playing at work for weeks. (At TDS) and I thought it looked VERY similar to Tangled so wasn't expecting much that was new. I saw it on Thanksgiving weekend and absolutely LOVED it! The music is amazing and I fell in love with Elsa! Definitely might over take Aladdin as my all time favorite animated feature! I think it appeals to all ages and genders. Its not one of those boy saves princess kind of movie.

wdwgreg said:
Can someone answer me, that in the age of internet piracy, movies are released on different dates in different countries

While piracy is a problem, it does not cross borders to any significant degree. At least not enough to outweigh the advantages of playing the release date chess game. Most movies have staggered foreign release dates.

mcoaddict said:
I thought the previews were awful. The whole moose and snowman thing? What? I don't get it. I am a big Disney fan and have seen the preview several times and couldn't tell you what the movie is about.

I have heard this said a number of times. If someone has even a passing interest in Disney animated movies, how is it possible to not know what the movie is about!? Frozen, based on the Snow Queen, 2 sisters; this has all been known for months and was in the trailers. Yes, the first teaser and a good potion of the trailers featured a funny and unique magical snowman who loves summer and a cute reindeer. Thst makes perfect sense. Everyone already knew it was a princess movie, but this illustrates cool and funny that boys and all ages might find intriguing.

Looks like the marketing worked. Princess fans went without needing to be convinced and the boys turned out too. Sven the reindeer and Olaf were my wife's favorite parts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter