What is Walt Disney World doing right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn’t matter.

By becoming a super planner park, I haven’t returned. I’m not booking rides and dining months in advance. I’d rather go to DL.

I last went to Universal in July of this year. I did do some Disney resort dining, and it honestly wasn’t that good, nor was the service. Hoop De Doo was the exception, but I think that’s because the cast members doing it really care.

I do see all of the announcements, but between being a planner nightmare and poor service, why return to WDW?

I enjoy everything about the "WDW bubble" and all that it entails, but I'll go ahead and throw out something many might find controversial.

WDW has done a good job of keeping a basic vacation affordable and accessible to many folks.

Do they cater to the big spenders? Absolutely, but there are still packages out there where you can get a value room, base tickets, and sometimes a QS meal for a "reasonable" price. Last summer my wife's co-worker was able to take her kids on a 5 day 4 night trip for a price a single working mom could save up for and afford.

WDW is basically a mid sized city. Over 70,000 employees. On any given day there might be 40 to 100 thousand guests visiting, in an area 43 square miles. Just think of the transportation logistics involved in moving people around, not to mention, feeding everyone, laundry, waste, etc. It's amazing they pull it off the way they do

I know I complain about the increase in hard ticket events, "party" tickets, and tons of other things that come with an additional cost, but if they have to offer those things in order to drive revenue, so they can try to keep a very basic trip somewhat affordable (and I'm using these terms loosely), than I understand and I get it.

I thought the below was an insightful review on TripAdvsior. I’m obsessed with Disney planning and I am only planning my 2nd trip. I have to admit, it hits the same pleasure points as playing PokemonGo.

“Most things at Disney are based upon competition, and I think that is why it appeals to some people. You have to compete to get a good place in line at a park, You have to compete to get a reservation at a restaurant. You have to compete to get a space on some of the transportation. I often seemed, unnecessarily harried and that Disney intentionally creates scarcity so that people feel compelled to get something quickly so that a box can be checked.”

I thought the below was an insightful review on TripAdvsior. I’m obsessed with Disney planning and I am only planning my 2nd trip. I have to admit, it hits the same pleasure points as playing PokemonGo.

“Most things at Disney are based upon competition, and I think that is why it appeals to some people. You have to compete to get a good place in line at a park, You have to compete to get a reservation at a restaurant. You have to compete to get a space on some of the transportation. I often seemed, unnecessarily harried and that Disney intentionally creates scarcity so that people feel compelled to get something quickly so that a box can be checked.”

Oh I totally feel this with the rolling FP. I swear at least half the fun is the accomplishment of scoring a hard to get one and blowing past 60+ minutes of line.

Okay forget whatever I said earlier, the best thing WDW is doing is playing Iago's song from Under New Management as part of the hold music on the customer service line, only to have an automated message plug the MDE app just as he gets to the last "MEEEEE" and holds it over the duration of the message.

It doesn’t matter.

By becoming a super planner park, I haven’t returned. I’m not booking rides and dining months in advance. I’d rather go to DL.

I last went to Universal in July of this year. I did do some Disney resort dining, and it honestly wasn’t that good, nor was the service. Hoop De Doo was the exception, but I think that’s because the cast members doing it really care.

I do see all of the announcements, but between being a planner nightmare and poor service, why return to WDW?
While I couldn't possibly disagree more with this post (it is 100% possible to thoroughly enjoy a trip to WDW without planning months or even weeks in advance, not even remotely sure how it's a "planning nightmare"), it's sad to see people coming to this thread just to be negative when that's not what it's meant for.

Disney does such a great job of accommodating those with food allergies/special diets. It is so nice to be able to plan some of our meals ahead, and know what options there will be for those in our party with allergies.

The cast members who really care about/enjoy their job, and want to be part of the magic make a huge difference to our vacation. There have been many ordinary moments that were made special by a cast member who went above and beyond my expectations.

I love that the parks are always changing. There are always new rides, shows, foods, etc. As much as we all love the classics, it's exciting to have new experiences added as well.

Disney has invested a great deal of money into the guest experience, from the theming and major new attractions, to the little touches that take a sharp eye to notice... like little hidden mickey touches or the random side street entertainer.

Considering the hundreds of thousands of people they have to safely entertain, feed, manage, house, and clean up after, it is a very well oiled machine! The sheer complexity of the resort operations is mind boggling, truly! I recently listened the the forward for Bob Iger’s new book, and it shines a light on just one executive’s experience, but knowing a little more about the stuff that needs to be considered really put it in perspective.

The podcast was broadcast on 11/5. Continued discussion can be found on the Unplugged Board as the top 15 isn’t specific to Theme Park Attractions:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter