• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what is your Achilles Heel? Update post #21

Dentists I have a phobia about dentists. My parents thought the dentist I went to as a kid was so good they wouldn't let me stop seeing him until I was 18. The thing is he didn't believe in pain relief it was a waste of time so matter how big the filling was he just drilled in and I did have a root filling. So now dentists terrify me.
This happened to me too. Still terrified of the dentist.

Little-Shop-of-Horrors-1-Full.jpg

The dentist doesn't bother me, and I can handle eye stuff because I've worn contact lenses for 20 years. For me as an adult, anything gynecologist related I dread. As a kid, I used to hate throat cultures. I knew it would gag me so I resisted hard. My pediatrician's nurse used to have to hold my arms down so they could do it.

I wouldn't say I have a "nope," but I'm getting more adverse to having blood drawn. I was in a bad accident last year--6 week hospital and rehab stay, 2 surgeries and 2 others to clean out post-op infections, DVTs, 12-week regimen of IV antibiotics, etc. I had lots of needles and blood draws, and even now I go back for checks where they draw blood again. It's starting to really bug me getting another stick, another blood draw. Just kind of a reminder of everything I went through.

The dentist doesn't bother me, and I can handle eye stuff because I've worn contact lenses for 20 years. For me as an adult, anything gynecologist related I dread. As a kid, I used to hate throat cultures. I knew it would gag me so I resisted hard. My pediatrician's nurse used to have to hold my arms down so they could do it.

Me, too. I had surgery on my eyelid while awake with no issues, too. They gyno, though :eek:. It feels like being ripped in half.

Hemorrhoid exam and surgery.The exam hurt like hell,and the Dr. had a terrible bedside manner.She came into the room and told me to drop my shorts.I told her she was making me feel like a sailor on shore leave,and she needed to leave the room and give me a gown. The actual exam was excrutiatingly painful-like someone cranking you open with a can opener.The surgery went fine,then,the recovery.Let me say that that's an area where knives should never be.And then when you try to USE the area? Like razorblades.I can tolerate pain,but with the amount of nerves in the area....geeze....
Omg. I had this surgery... The WORST thing ever. C section was 10x easier than this. The 1st post labor poop has nothing on this... And to top it off, the staples were in the wrong place, so I still have hemorrhoids and have scar tissue that has to be stretched periodically.. Sorry, TMI.

I was also supposed to have my deviated septum fixed many years ago, then they made me watch a video about the procedure. Big nope after that. That was also a time when my allergies were terrible and they told me I wouldn’t be able to sneeze after the surgery or it could cause damage. I said that’s impossible and the doctor said no, we give you drugs so you can’t sneeze. Why not just give me those drugs instead?!
This was the surgery I had.
I would like to add I am not a wimp- my first baby was 10 pounds and I had no drugs. I had my wisdom teeth out, no issues, I had my tonsils out- no problem, had knee surgery- a breeze, hip replacement took pain meds for less than a week, cataract surgery- weird sensation being awake but it was fine. My Mom is an RN and sometimes you suck it up and do what you have to do- that is how I was raised. That thingymajig up my nose didn't even hurt, BUT it was a NEVER AGAIN sensation.

MRI - Couldn't even do an open MRI. Had to find a place that would do a standing MRI. Too claustrophobic. I think I would have been ok if my head was not under the machine, like if it was down near my foot or knee.

I'm pretty tough, needles go ahead stick it in and I'll watch. Same thing with drawing blood, take a gallon and I'll watch you do it. Dentist? Fine, put a needle in my gums and all I'll do is sit there. I'm *really* good with needles. I'm not squeamish at all. I'm trying to think of something...probably when I first broke my arm, when I did it-I tripped and fell, and I even remembered to tuck my arms into my sides as I fell instead of trying to catch myself. But I fell onto my upper arm and I heard a crack and felt the bone go kkkktccch. Then it went all spongey and I was in the worst pain of my life. But it was the crack and feeling the bone come almost through the skin that got me.

MRI - Couldn't even do an open MRI. Had to find a place that would do a standing MRI. Too claustrophobic. I think I would have been ok if my head was not under the machine, like if it was down near my foot or knee.

I didn’t think an MRI would be a big deal. I’m not claustrophobic but I got in there and couldn’t finish the exam. That was a big nope for me.

Dentists I have a phobia about dentists. My parents thought the dentist I went to as a kid was so good they wouldn't let me stop seeing him until I was 18. The thing is he didn't believe in pain relief it was a waste of time so matter how big the filling was he just drilled in and I did have a root filling. So now dentists terrify me.
I had no idea Novacaine was available until I went to college and had a tooth problem and that dentist used the mystery drug, When I got back home, I switched dentists.

Omg. I had this surgery... The WORST thing ever. C section was 10x easier than this. The 1st post labor poop has nothing on this... And to top it off, the staples were in the wrong place, so I still have hemorrhoids and have scar tissue that has to be stretched periodically.. Sorry, TMI.
Glad to hear from a fellow sufferer! Just absolutely unbelievable pain in a place where you NEVER want pain.

Elective eye surgery would be my nope procedure as well.

The mild thing I am weird about is getting my teeth polished. I am fine with the dentist cleaning/scraping with the pointy little tools and I can take that for an hour if I had to but I wince for the entire 60 seconds of polishing at the end. I know it's not necessary but my teeth do feel nice after.

Maybe it's the high pitched noise with the polisher....eek!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter