What is your favorite non-disney things to do on vacation?

danda22

Earning My Ears
Curious as to what else you do, if anything besides Disney. We are wanting to experience what Orlando has to offer also. We are a family of 4, firl (10), boy (11), will be going for the first time the first week of June.

Seaworld is always a great bet, if your kids like coasters, there are 2 great ones there, as well as the Journey to Atlantis, water coaster also.

Also good for your kids ages, (again, if they like thrill rides) Is of course Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure(IoA is where Harry Potter World is)

Definitely, that time of year, you will also want to check out one of the water parks (Disney or otherwise).

Disney/Orlando is great with kids your ages, because there is SOOO much to see and do. You will never get to do it all in one trip, and will be planning your next one as soon as you get back.

thank you. we are trying to do things other than thrill rides and roller coasters. we live very close to cedar point in ohio and have passes so we want other things to do besides riding rides and standing in lines all day.

we have not really explored orlando-outside the parks, we have managed downtown disney!

we like going to disneyquest and to the movies, as we come from the u.k. so we get to see movies sooner than we would at home. :)

Love Downtown Disney, Seaworld and cruising international drive, we've gone to Ripleys, upside down house and always try to go the outlet malls

We love Old Town in Kissimmee & always visit when we stay off-site. It's cheesy carnival-like rides & decent shopping & food. We love watching brave souls ride the Slingshot ride. That will NEVER be me! :crazy2:

We did Ripley's but found it was a waste of cash at the time. (About 10 yrs ago) It seemed like we had already seen everything they had on display via their TV show already.

Since it's your first trip, I would not plan to squeeze much in other than Disney. You can easily spend two days at Epcot with a 10 and 11 year old. We went to Typhoon Lagoon last month with DS11 and DD8 and they loved it.

Please try not to go thinking WDW and Cedar Point are similar at all. CP is about the thrills (and my kids love it) but WDW is about the experience. The thrill rides are about the atmosphere and are completely different than CP rides. Tower of Terror is thrilling in a way that a regular "drop" ride isn't. Rockn Roller Coaster and EE are probably the closest to what you are picturing, but they are completely worth riding because they are more about the immersive experience than just the thrill. If you skip the thrill rides at WDW because you think you can do similar rides at CP, you can't!!

In terms of waiting in lines all day, you should not have to do that if you plan and you hit the headliners first. Make sure you do Test Track and Soarin first at EP, Expedition Everest and Kilimanjaro Safari at AK, RNRC, ToT, and Toy Story Mania at DHS, and SpaceMtn at MK.

Universal and IOA also can't be compared to CP. The rides there are so much cooler. And please don't think I'm negative about CP, like I said my kids love it, but it is just a bunch of roller coasters, these other parks are "THEME" parks!

That said, there are tons of really cool mini-golf places in the WDW area. We did Congo River Golf last month (it's in Kissimmee, not too far) and it was great. Kids could even feed the alligators (for a fee, of course).

I live in NW PA and I've been to Cedar Point and WDW. The difference between the two is huge. It's like comparing a trip to the beaches of Lake Erie w/ a trip to Hawaii. You won't need to go to other parks if this is your first trip and you will not get to do everything at WDW unless you are staying for 1 1/2-2 weeks. Our family does no coasters and few thrill rides and there are so many other rides/shows. Make sure to use fastpass. At WDW, there are a lot of inside lines or at least covered areas so you won' be lined up outside in the sun all the time.

thank you. we are trying to do things other than thrill rides and roller coasters. we live very close to cedar point in ohio and have passes so we want other things to do besides riding rides and standing in lines all day.

SeaWorld ( nice and laid back...not in lines and standing all day), Medieval Times and I think that there is a wax museum nearby, too.

Discovery Cove and swim with the dolphins! This park is by advance reservation only to keep the number of guests under a certain number. It is awesome!

I love Seaworld and DH loves Kennedy Space Centre. I'm not a big space fan like he is but I still found it really interesting.

I did not see if you are driving or not but you can go orange groves, beach, gatorland is fun to see a ton of gators! there is alos a lot of mini golf 2 on property and a bunch off site. also shopping!

ALSO having lived in Mi I too have been to CP a ton and it is NOTHNG like what you will experience at Disney!!! there is so much to see and do without ever getting on a ride or going in a show!!!! the details and shops and experience is outstanding!! makes cp look like a childs toy!

Universal's Islands of Adventure is worth a day or two.

Maybe spend some time on a beach somewhere.

Never been to Kennedy Space Center, but always wanted to go.

It is a little bit of a drive, but we loved Daytona Beach and the Kennedy Space Center. We spent a day at both as down time and it was a nice change.

I also agree with Discovery Cove. Lot's of swimming/snorkeling activities and allows for a slower paced day of activities.

I know it is inside the parks, but World Showcase in EPCOT can be a full day for us. The kids like to explore the worlds and customs.

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to respond! I like the Lake Erie / Hawaii comparison LOL.

I've been to Cocoa Beach once. It was in January a few years ago when I went with my mom before meeting my now-husband, and we ate at a restaurant that was pretty nice. It was also cold there, so we didn't go walking on the beach. But, we did explore a couple of the shops there. Been to Miami, and Ft. Lauderdale recently. Ft. Lauderdale was OK. But, we only stayed there one night because my mom, husband, and our family was leaving on the Ruby Princess ship the very next day for a 7-day cruise around the Caribbean islands. It was a lot of fun.

4kids4karen said:
Discovery Cove and swim with the dolphins! This park is by advance reservation only to keep the number of guests under a certain number. It is awesome!

I agree with Discovery Cove. My family looooves all things Disney but Discovery Cove was probably the most relaxing day we have ever spent in Orlando. The landscaping is beautiful, the food was great, the snorkeling in the coral reef was awesome and the aviary was a unique experience for the kids. If you go, claim a spot on the beach early. Bonus: when you book a day at DC you get a 5 day pass at Sea World.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter