• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is your hometown famous for ?

New Orleans, although we live a few miles away now

the good:

2 huge music festivals, the WW II museum, readily available, depending on season, crabs, crawfish, shrimp, oysters, fish, a multitude of great restaurants, Coolinary event the whole month of August (dinners $39, lunches $20), king cakes and dauberge, Mardi Gras of course decent zoo and aquarium, good public transportation depending on where you live, great Mississippi river views from various vantage points, the Saints, really friendly people.

And for me, my best friend lives in a building with a balcony overlooking the river near Audobon park, and has an extra bedroom that we are always welcome to

The bad:

Heat, humidity and hurricanes
Street flooding if it rains a couple inches an hour for a few hours
Crime
Potholes
Traffic ugh

My husband was born there, my momma and her family were all born and raised there (most still live there), I went to HS and college there, married there, kids born there, guess it will always be our home town despite the bad stuff.

Hometown - Jonesborough, Tenn. - oldest town in Tennessee and home of the National Storytelling Festival

Current - Pawleys Island, SC - oldest seaside resort in America

My hometown - the place John Dillinger escaped from with a bar of soap and some shoe-black. Johnny Depp also filmed there when shooting the movie about John Dillinger. My hometown is also known for being THE Marriage Mill back in the day (1900-1940s), before Vegas! Famous people that were married in the historic Crown Point Courthouse include Ronald Reagan (to his first wife, not Nancy), Rudolph Valentino, and Muhammed Ali. (and my and my husband)

My current city - The Greatest Spectacle in Racing and the whole month of May that surrounds it, including the nation's largest 1/2 marathon. Over 30,000 participants! We're also known for being the awesomest Superbowl hosts, the National FFA Convention town, and NCAA's HQ, so we host a LOT of college basketball tournaments. We are also known throughout the world in the city planning/urban design community for our Cultural Trail - a walking and bike path that connects 11 neighborhoods. People have been here from all over the world to study it and the impact it's made on the city - socially and economically (can you tell I work in that industry?).

Strangely enough, a faux Louisiana swamp rock band. One that recorded most of its songs at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley, California. This cover photo was taken on a corner in Oakland a few blocks away from the studio.

91PangjDHlL._SL1500_.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter