What is your kitchen related pet peeve?

That my stove and oven aren't self cooking :rotfl:.

Honestly though I'd have to say not enough counter space.

My pots and pans cabinet! It needs to be bigger and have some sort of dividers so getting anything out isn't a loud, crashing production number.

OCD - with the dish washer....

Please let me load it...I am glad when people offer to help don't get me wrong, please help clearing, or putting leftovers into containers... the dish washer is just the thing that makes me nuts if its not loaded the right way... well my way....

Lack of counterspace. There are 2 spaces about 2x2 each and only one has an outlet. I have to set up a folding table in the adjacent space to bake for the holidays.

This is a rental and the kitchen is so dark. The cabinets are dark, there is only 1 little window... I have to turn the light on whenever I am in there. I hate it.

When people have said that in the past I just assumed they found cleaning large kitchens relaxing.
Exactly. I used to wish for a huge kitchen, until I realized I could barely keep the small one I have clean lol

Really what I wanted was more storage. Once I figured that out, I was good.

Oh - I have a ton:
  • When my DH unloads the dishwasher, he leaves things just sitting on the countertop because he "doesn't know where they go." I have asked him time and time again to just come get me and I can show him where they go, but I find things on the countertop all the time.
  • When someone is preparing a sandwich or something, and instead of throwing trash away they just leave it on the countertop.
  • When people load the dishwasher and something won't fit/isn't dishwasher safe, and instead of hand washing it they just let it sit in the sink (for me to come clean)

The cutting boards warp. I thought buying OXO polypropylene cutting boards that this wouldn't happen.
That's unusual and sounds like some sort of manufacturing defect. I'd give OXO a call as they are very responsive to their customers. I had a pair of locking tongs from them and the silicone grips were beginning to melt . When I told them they sent me a new pair gratis.

My biggest kitchen pet peeve is that when people hand wash the pan they have used to cook something, usually eggs, but sometimes other meals, they leave all of the nasty crud that comes from the pan in the sink strainer thingy. By the time I notice it in there, it is cold, drippy, and congealed in the holes...super gross!!!

I'm going to second this comment as well. This drives me absolutely bonkers! I find bread tags and tear strips and lunch meat packaging and who knows what all else left on the counters.

When someone is preparing a sandwich or something, and instead of throwing trash away they just leave it on the countertop.

Also, I don't get too terribly upset over a few crumbs left on the counter, unless someone has just watched me wipe it down and then they proceed to muck it up right behind me, but I do get more than a little twitchy if blobs of stuff are left behind...scraps of pasta that fell off of a plate, some mustard that overshot the sandwich, a gob of ice cream that dripped, sticky syrup, or whatever. Those kinds of things are beyond obvious and could easily be taken care of with a simple swipe of the cloth.

We bought our house 2 years ago new construction and I HATE the side by side fridge that came with the house. Its so narrow and never enough room.
I left behind at my old house a beautiful 2 yr old 4 door Samsung that always fit everything, it was beautiful.
I still mourn that fridge.
I feel bad, I wanted a bigger kitchen and got that, but this fridge, sucks.
My husband says he will replace the fridge in 5 years......... so I wait.

I don't mind that it is small but I would love some more cabinets and counter space.
My biggest pet peeve is when my family puts the dishes away, I can never find anything.

Never enough counter space in a kitchen.Fridge is narrow and deep.Things get lost all the time.Going for wide and shallow next time.

THIS!!!!! I currently have a rather small fridge, couldn't tell you the actual volume but it isn't large, but it is a side by side model. I LOATHE it. The shelves are so narrow that I have to stack stuff on top of other items in order to cram it all in and inevitably several times a week there is an avalanche of products that lands on my feet and I start muttering about how much I hate the @!!@#$@!# fridge. I have a bad habit of forgetting about things as they are shoved to the back where I can't see them and we waste a lot of food that way. When we remodel the kitchen in a few years I don't actually want a larger fridge. I don't need a larger one, I just want a simple model with an ice maker and a freezer preferably on the bottom but up top is fine too.

I also loathe the cups of liquid in the fridge (they always spill) and the cups left half full all over the place (we have a cat, enough said). All the dishes left on the counter when the dishwasher is right there also bugs me. If the dishwasher is running that's one thing but my kids can't seem to work out that if the dishwasher is full of clean dishes then they need to unload it and put their dirty things in there or even to just put their dirty things in at all.

What really grinds my gears is all the food SD8 hoards all over the house. I have found stashes of food behind the shoe rack in the entry way, under the bathroom sink, all over her room, and a big stash hidden underneath the coffee table in the basement. It's no wonder we have mice.

OCD - with the dish washer....

Please let me load it...I am glad when people offer to help don't get me wrong, please help clearing, or putting leftovers into containers... the dish washer is just the thing that makes me nuts if its not loaded the right way... well my way....

I can’t count the number of times I have had to reload the dishwasher after my daughter and husband ‘help out’ and load it. I had to give them a lesson on how to load it properly..the small plates go here, big ones go here.

Also, if I find a big bowl completely covering the bottom sprayer again, I will freak OUT!

We bought our house 2 years ago new construction and I HATE the side by side fridge that came with the house. Its so narrow and never enough room.
I left behind at my old house a beautiful 2 yr old 4 door Samsung that always fit everything, it was beautiful.
I still mourn that fridge.
I feel bad, I wanted a bigger kitchen and got that, but this fridge, sucks.
My husband says he will replace the fridge in 5 years......... so I wait.

We moved into our house 2 1/2 years ago and knew when we did that we will have to remodel the kitchen sooner rather than later. It is small and not very functional. The appliances are all old and need replacing but the fridge is the worst part. I hate it so much. Sometimes I think about just breaking down and buying a new fridge but then I think we are going to remodel in a couple of years (I'm currently thinking 3) and do I want to buy a new fridge now only to have to either work around it or buy a new one when we remodel. So I wait. And dream of a functional fridge.

The gunk that builds up on a glass-top stove. It's like, I pretty much only ever boil water, how does it get so dirty?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter