What is your position on this issue in regards to the moon and space in general?

I have no position whatsoever on "Navajo Cosmology" but I do think that all vanity projects like this one are absurd and a total waste of resources. Personally, I don't think it's a very dignified way to treat the deceased, but I'd not grind anybody over that part of it, since those things are very personal and even visceral.

I would let the mission proceed. I understand people in the distant past feeling like the moon was some sort of religious object, but science has since shown it to be an actual place. If someone wants it to be their final resting spot, then cool - more power to them.

I would let the mission proceed. I understand people in the distant past feeling like the moon was some sort of religious object, but science has since shown it to be an actual place. If someone wants it to be their final resting spot, then cool - more power to them.
I’m with you. Spending eternity on the moon, away from the madness of earth, I’m ok with that.

Also, most modern and past religions look/looked at it as a scientific object created by a higher power. No religions explicitly (as far as I know), ever said burying remains on the moon is against their beliefs. Granted, space travel was fiction until 1969 but even Native Americans (someone correct me if I’m wrong) believe that all of creation is meant to be shared with humanity as a whole. This in my opinion is no different. This isn't a piece a land they have lived on for centuries. It's a vital piece of rock that needs regulation with the separation of church and (in this case international) state. No one owns space (space exploration should be a privilege not a right). For the record, I believe everyone should have their (peaceful) religious beliefs protected under the law, but the moon is something the whole world uses by the laws of nature.

I agree with the Navajo Nation that the mission should be stopped. Not for sake of their religious beliefs, because I don’t think anyone should be beholden to the “rules” of a religion they don’t follow, but because I see it as akin to littering. And, why should a private company, especially, have the right to go trashing the moon? The moon either belongs to everyone, in which case there should be agreed upon guidelines for protecting it, or it belongs to no one, and therefore no one has the right to treat it as their personal property. How would people feel if China wanted to use it as an overflow landfill, or Iran wanted to build a resort there, or @Mysterian wanted to use it to store his crocs? People would probably be against it, so why does some random American company get to start dumping dead people there?

I agree with the Navajo Nation that the mission should be stopped. Not for sake of their religious beliefs, because I don’t think anyone should be beholden to the “rules” of a religion they don’t follow, but because I see it as akin to littering. And, why should a private company, especially, have the right to go trashing the moon? The moon either belongs to everyone, in which case there should be agreed upon guidelines for protecting it, or it belongs to no one, and therefore no one has the right to treat it as their personal property. How would people feel if China wanted to use it as an overflow landfill, or Iran wanted to build a resort there, or @Mysterian wanted to use it to store his crocs? People would probably be against it, so why does some random American company get to start dumping dead people there?
I, for one, would be happy to see crocs on the moon…and off of earth.

My first thought was some ambulance chasing lawyer encouraged them to raise this 'objection' in order to create a lawsuit or be paid a 'royalty' for these lunar launches. They don't own the Moon, so I doubt they have any real legal claim to what goes on there. Lots of people seem to object to all sorts of things now whether or not there is any legal basis for such objections. The enormous cost (probably tens of millions of dollars) to send anything to the Moon likely wouldn't make this common or economically viable. You also have the practical issue of what happens if the spacecraft explodes during the trip and never reaches the Moon (do you get a refund)?

To me this is different from someone proposing to start mining on sacred ground owned by the Navajo's here on Earth, simply because they discovered deposits of certain desirable minerals.

💯

We have historically realized way too late that we should be protecting something. Let’s be proactive with this one and protect the moon since this mission is pointless other than stroking the vanity of someone with way too much money.

Unless all rockets being shot in the US have to get government permission to do so ... I do not know why the government is getting involved??? We don't own the moon and it seems to be a civil matter that will have no resolution because our laws do not dictate the moon.

There are lots of things many of us feel are deserving of honor and respect - that are completely disregarded and trampled by others. There will never be a time where everyone is happy.

Honestly we should be working towards treating our own planet with respect, and not worry what fools do with their money.

Long, long ago, way before this was even being considered, my dh always claimed he wanted his remains shot into space. He just loves space, all things NASA, etc. and I don't know why anyone else would care. His 2nd choice would be to be forever buried in WDW Haunted Mansion and that's a definite no go.

... I see it as akin to littering. And, why should a private company, especially, have the right to go trashing the moon? The moon either belongs to everyone, in which case there should be agreed upon guidelines for protecting it, or it belongs to no one, and therefore no one has the right to treat it as their personal property... why does some random American company get to start dumping dead people there?
THIS.

💯

We have historically realized way too late that we should be protecting something. Let’s be proactive with this one and protect the moon since this mission is pointless other than stroking the vanity of someone with way too much money.
and THIS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter