• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is your preferred vacation length?

I have done as long as three weeks and as short as an overnight.

I prefer 3-4 trips a year that are 5-7 nights long.

From the US

My husband and I are neither one in jobs where we can take extended amount of times off; almost all of our vacations are a week. Given that, I prefer to leave on a Saturday and return home on a Saturday, regardless of transportation mode. I like to have one day at home before returning to the office.

We do get more PTO time than that, but we get way too behind if we take more than a week at a time off. This year we took two week long trips in the summer which was nice, but not an annual thing for us.

I’m from the US and I enjoy 2-3 week trips. 1 week feels too short for a “vacation” although I’m fine doing 3 day weekends. Next summer my daughter and I are doing 5 weeks in Europe to celebrate her getting her masters degree. That will be our longest trip ever and it’s pretty jam packed with activities and travel between 10 different countries! We’ll see how we feel afterwards…

Over time our vacations have gotten longer over time but they are also situational.

Most often if it's a normal domestic or international beach vacation 8-10 days is good.

Vegas is 4 days 3 nights is our sweet spot

Skiing trips are usually 3 days or so

Our cruise was 14 days as it included transit there and back.

Our upcoming Europe trip is hovering around 15-16 days as it includes transit there and back (and includes additional nights being spent on the East Coast before getting back home), not sure how long are Japan trip will be but probably similar as we plan on staying overnight on the West Coast.

WDW usually is 10-11 days includes Universal and transit days.

We used to do weekend B&B style stuff every now and then that would be basically 3 days 2 nights but haven't done that in a long while.

2to 3 weeks. A minimum of 10 days. We are doing our longest ever in October. Beginning Oct 10, 3 days at aulani. Then on Oct 13 get on the transpacific cruise to Sydney for 14 days. One night in Sydney. 5 days touring the South Island of New Zealand. Back on Nov 3. Then my husband and I leave on November 6 for 5 night Turner classic movie cruise.

Our next overseas trip is 12 days because right now we can’t swing more time off. 14 days is about all we’d want.

For WDW 9-10 days seems ideal. Day 8 we’re still enjoying the ‘buffet’. Beyond 10 days we’d be uncomfortably stuffed.

We mostly like 4 to 5 days for nearby excursions (4 to 8 hour drive). Long enough to get familiar and short enough we can do these kinds of trips more often.

Domestic (three timezone hours or less), I'm good at six nights, after that I'm typically ready to go home. International (with more jet lag and more travel time lost) depends on the trip.

I figure I'm lucky - I'm happy to get away, and happy to get home ;) AND... particularly helpful with Disney, I enjoy the planning and thinking about the trip, almost as much as the trip.

I must add we’d prefer three 5 day trips to WDW each year 🤣 but the time and money cost is too great between flights and tickets, etc. So all things considered 9-10 day trip is ideal. Get the most bang for our time/money without overstaying our comfort level.

American, and I wish I knew. I've never been in a position to go away for more than about 9 days, and that was only for overseas trips where I was visiting family. :sad1:

I think it would depend a lot on the destination and my level of comfort with my lodging. The longer the trip the more I like having a more home-like ambience around me. I'm not a huge fan of moving every couple of days; I prefer to pick one base or two at most and stay within day-trip distance of them. (A cruise with lots of ports would probably be different, as the ship remains the same home-base for the duration.)

My work goes where I go these days, so there's no escaping it for a long stretch of time. What I find is most likely to make me itch to go home is not being comfortable in my lodging. A while back we stayed in a beach condo that had a mattress that was *rock*-hard; it was very difficult to enjoy ourselves knowing that we had to suffer that discomfort every night.

FWIW, I really like snooping around and getting to know the communities I find myself in. I've never done an isolated resort vacation where you never leave the resort, because I know I would just hate being confined to one place. I think if I did get roped into something like that, for a destination wedding or something like that, my limit would be about 3 days before I flew the coop.

Last edited:
I wish I knew. I've never been in a position to go away for more than about 9 days, and that was only for overseas trips where I was visiting family. :sad1:

I think it would depend a lot on the destination and my level of comfort with my lodging. The longer the trip the more I like having a more home-like ambience around me. I'm not a huge fan of moving every couple of days; I prefer to pick one base or two at most and stay within day-trip distance of them. (A cruise with lots of ports would probably be different, as the ship remains the same home-base for the duration.)

My work goes where I go these days, so there's no escaping it for a long stretch of time. What I find is most likely to make me itch to go home is not being comfortable in my lodging. A while back we stayed in a beach condo that had a mattress that was *rock*-hard; it was very difficult to enjoy ourselves knowing that we had to suffer that discomfort every night.

I think the work issue is what drives a lot of us to take shorter trips. Definitely bad lodging would make me want to come home early.

Over time our vacations have gotten longer over time but they are also situational.

Most often if it's a normal domestic or international beach vacation 8-10 days is good.

Vegas is 4 days 3 nights is our sweet spot

Skiing trips are usually 3 days or so

Our cruise was 14 days as it included transit there and back.

Our upcoming Europe trip is hovering around 15-16 days as it includes transit there and back (and includes additional nights being spent on the East Coast before getting back home), not sure how long are Japan trip will be but probably similar as we plan on staying overnight on the West Coast.

WDW usually is 10-11 days includes Universal and transit days.

We used to do weekend B&B style stuff every now and then that would be basically 3 days 2 nights but haven't done that in a long while.

Four days in Vegas is an eternity. Usually that's how many days I need before I max out. We just went a couple of weeks ago and stayed for the first time at the Wynn. Initially we were at an MGM resort but they had a cyber attack so we moved to the Wynn. Loved it! Could have stayed for a week between the pool during the day and the piano bar in the evening. I'm too cheap to gamble there. LOL. It felt very resort like with lots of landscaping and theming.

Not allowed to take off more than 2 weeks at a time (obviously unless there are certain circumstances). Most of my vacations are one week. I would much, much rather take shorter, more frequent trips rather than longer trips. I usually take 3-4 separate week-long trips each year.
I get lots of 3 day weekends also, and enjoy those for very short trips.

I took 6 months off of work a few years ago (just because), and did a 7 week road trip around the US. That was incredible, but I can't imagine doing a trip that long every year.

Four days in Vegas is an eternity. Usually that's how many days I need before I max out. We just went a couple of weeks ago and stayed for the first time at the Wynn. Initially we were at an MGM resort but they had a cyber attack so we moved to the Wynn. Loved it! Could have stayed for a week between the pool during the day and the piano bar in the evening. I'm too cheap to gamble there. LOL. It felt very resort like with lots of landscaping and theming.
We found 5 days was too much, 7 def. too much although that was when my husband was doing a work conference for multiple days but we had all the evenings available and with Vegas that's where a lot of the action is at. 3 days 2 nights and we don't feel like we got enough time so 4 days 3 nights seems to be perfect for us.

We were just in Vegas a few days before the MGM issue (we went over Labor Day) so it sounds like we just missed ya! We had actually done a split stay (as we do if we have to) with Aria and Encore. Our preferred resort is actually Wynn/Encore although since the refurb of Wynn rooms we prefer to stay in Encore it's our "home" hotel. The dueling pianos is fun! We try to go there every time my husband especially likes it. I hope you had an opportunity to see at least one Lake of Dreams show at Wynn, while short in length it's cool to see. We've done dinner at Lakeside and now at SW Steakhouse and watched the shows as they come on during dinner but you can also view it for free in an upper balcony. The Encore pool is super chill and nice to spend some time at.

We've been going on offers from Wynn/Encore and a few days after we left earlier this month we got another offer but we're trying to see if we can make that work or not.

In terms of Vegas The Wynn/Encore property is among the nicest, glad you enjoyed your time there :)

I can't do more than a few days in Vegas too. I go every year for a conference after day 3 or 4, I'm ready to come home. And I'm way to cheap to gamble too, maybe sometimes bingo.

It depends on the type of vacation. Europe...2 weeks, and I'd prefer 3-4, but it's tough as we're still working and it's hard to get more than two weeks off. Also tough to leave my three dogs that long. If it's a beach resort vacation I max out at a week or so. Once we retire, our plan is to be nomads and do longer stays in areas we'd like to explore, both here in the States and internationally. Essentially....we'll be nomads in our early retirement years. We'll have one small dog at that time, not three, and so the plan is to take her with us.

Longest trip we’ve been on is 12 nights last year. It was a road trip from Ohio to the Outer Banks, NC. It was great and I did not want to go back home. I’m thinking a 2 month vacation would be great.

Preferred would be to spend the summer traveling, but alas, DH cannot do this with his job. A week to two is the most he can take that time of year. When he has more flexibility, I am teaching and cannot travel except for a long weekend.

No more than 7 days. Dh can’t deal with missing work more than that.
Our last Disney trip he worked in the hotel room 3 of the 6 days. Mostly after we got back from the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter