What is your rain strategy?

epcotobsessed

DIS Veteran
We leave Friday and haven't been in the summer in a few years. I am working myself up over the forecast which I *know* is 100% normal for Florida summers and that the thunderstorms likely will not last all day, every day. I think our usual rope drop/leave after lunch/hang out by the pool/come back for fireworks strategy won't really work - I am thinking the parks are the better place to be during the rain because the pool will not be an option. Do you do morning pool/afternoon evening parks in the summer?

A few years ago there were strong predictions for rain and there ended up being no rain whatsoever - albeit rare, you might get lucky with that. If not, we always carry ponchos in our bags, and try and do the indoor rides/attractions until it clears up.

We went this time last year and did pool in the morning - lunch then went to the parks in the afternoon. We would get to the park as the afternoon thunderstorm rolled in and everyone left the park. We had the run of the parks during that time. Though it was just me and DH. Don't know how well that strategy would work with kids. We leave for Disney tomorrow morning and plan on using the same strategy as last year.

We leave on Sunday for 7/1-7/5 so I’m in the same boat! Wear shoes that will dry quickly and a baseball hat. Bring a poncho or rain coat, or an umbrella. Like davper said, rain will keep the lightweights at bay!

We went this time last year and did pool in the morning - lunch then went to the parks in the afternoon. We would get to the park as the afternoon thunderstorm rolled in and everyone left the park. We had the run of the parks during that time. Though it was just me and DH. Don't know how well that strategy would work with kids. We leave for Disney tomorrow morning and plan on using the same strategy as last year.

Thank you, this is exactly what I think we should do. All of my FPs are for the morning, so I will try starting the night before to change some, based on the next day's forecast. I booked hotels with nice pools and definitely do not want to miss out on pool time, which I think I would have to if we didn't change our plans/FPs.

I'll do my first time in the summer this August (the week before labor day to be exact). I'll know it will be HOT and HUMID. My strategy will be light weight clothes, Teva sandals, A/C when I can... And power through the rain if it rains.

I'll do my first time in the summer this August (the week before labor day to be exact). I'll know it will be HOT and HUMID. My strategy will be light weight clothes, Teva sandals, A/C when I can... And power through the rain if it rains.

Proper footwear is essential. I am actually excited at the prospect of rainy parks, just hope I can change my FPs to the afternoon.

Wear a hat; I can keep going as long as I don't have rain in my face.
If you carry a phone (I usually don't), bring a small ziplock to keep it dry.
Assuming it's warm weather, I don't mind if my clothes are a little wet; I'll only wear a poncho if it's a real downpour.
In case of a real downpour, we sit down for a snack or shop; so often rain only lasts 15-30 minutes.
I usually wear Keds tennis shoes; they're fine in the rain, but I don't have tender feet either.

We use your strategy, and all our trips have been over the summer. (Teacher married to a teacher, with 3 kids who are students.)

If our pool time gets rained out- and it doesn't too often to be honest-- we either head back to the parks or enjoy a nap.

Disposable ponchos from Target or Walmart (the dollar store ones come in too large a package for us.) I wear Teva Mush flip flops; my husband and kids prefer sneakers-- but everyone has a variety of footwear in case the first pair gets wet.

Last edited:
We did really well with just umbrellas (and good tennis shoes). Ponchos are too hot for us. It rained every day on our trip this May. We only had to change our plans one afternoon/evening as it just kept pouring at Animal Kingdom so we left early (missed night lights in Pandora and River of Light). Other than than the rain was actually kind of welcome as it cooled off the heat.

Is it typical for it to feel cooler while it is raining?

On a hot sunny humid day, the rain cools and refreshes the air for an hour or so afterwards. Even just having clouds blocking some of the sun's heat for a while helps keeps the heat from being so intense.

Walk in the rain and enjoy. If there's thunder, take cover, usually means lightning isn't far. Just remember that outdoor attractions will shut down in the rain.

Walk in the rain and enjoy. If there's thunder, take cover, usually means lightning isn't far. Just remember that outdoor attractions will shut down in the rain.
Good point about the outdoor attractions. We found that the boats from Port Orleans to Disney Springs also stop when there is thunder/lightening. We took our first Uber ride then - which was great :)

We leave on Sunday for 7/1-7/5 so I’m in the same boat! Wear shoes that will dry quickly and a baseball hat. Bring a poncho or rain coat, or an umbrella. Like davper said, rain will keep the lightweights at bay!
Any shoe you recommend ?

I don't plan pool time, so no worries about missing out on that. If we happen to be at the resort and the kids want to swim, they swim. But we have a pool at home, so it isn't that big of a deal. As for the rain ... we just keep on trucking. Sometimes we get wet ... sometimes we get soaked ... we always have fun :-) If I am pretty darn sure it is going to rain I may throw in a poncho rather than having to buy a horribly overpriced one, but other than that we just go on with our plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter