What items did you inherit a ridiculous amount of?

For those looking for a way to donate inherited items, especially dishes, here are some ideas. If the organizations listed aren't near you, at least they can serve as ideas of what to research in your area.

https://food52.com/blog/21661-where-to-donate-home-goods-guide -- this article is from 2018, but some of the organizations listed still take donations. It's a nice way to donate unwanted dish sets that will be appreciated by someone who needs them.

https://www.heathceramics.com/blogs/news-events/home-plate-dinnerware-exchange-2019 -- we've donated to Home Plate in the past. The dishes do not have to be a matching set, just in good condition.

We bought my mom a set of pfalzgraf dishes. She rarely used them because when she had company she often just used paper plates. My brother stored them for 10 years. I recently took them because we are building a new house and they are nice dishes. They don’t really match our colors but we aren’t snobs about that stuff. I’ll use them.
I have a large set of the old brown village pattern of Pfaltzgraff that DH and I bought in the late 1970's. I stopped using it 25 or 30 years ago but never got rid of it. It was in a cabinet downstairs but I have to move that cabinet for some work being done and so the dishware had to come out. Nice set but I had forgotten how bulky and heavy those dishes were and now wish I donated them decades ago. My DD thinks she wants them even though she doesn't need dishes but that means they won't leave my house. DD, DSI and DGS will be taking the downstairs apartment this spring that DMIL lived in before she died.

mil passed in 2010 and i still have a wealth of notepads and post-its with her name on them from the various charity solicitations she would regularly receive (tossed the hundreds of return address stickers). we also found a wealth of one, two and other low denomination cent stamps so there was a time that mail looked insane leaving our house (whole top and side covered in stamps).

had my mom not sold her home and moved into assisted living prior to passing i would have had hundreds upon hundreds of cool whip and margarine containers (never was one to toss out something she felt could be reused).
you threw out the vintage tupperware??

Screwdrivers. We have them from three different family members who passed away. They are all jumbled together, so it's hard to find the right one.

I'd never inherited anything as of yet, other than if you would call a card with $100 in it that all of the grandchildren and great grandchildren got from my grandma after she passed. She hand wrote the cards all out prior (obviously, LOL). Including my ex wife, 12 cards with loving hand written goodbyes. That was probably all she had left.

I highly doubt I will outlast my mother, so I will never inherit anything.

Besides a few extremely personal things that nobody else would even know about, the only material thing I inherited was money. It was a huge blessing and literally life-changing at the time, but not what anybody would probably describe as a "ridiculous" amount.

Was the person a gardener? I used to save worn-out nylons to tie up tomato plants.
She was years and years ago, but had not had a garden for awhile.

Still, the few tomato plants she did plant would not have needed 20 or more grocery bags of nylons!

My father had literally over one hundred thousand pieces of hardware. (I didn’t count but extrapolated.). Screws, nails, bolts, etc. in old metal coffee cans and baby food jars. Numerous tools (why does someone need 27 screwdrivers?) Unopened specialty bits and pieces for uses I couldn’t ascertain.

There were about a dozen old round cardboard cans of motor oil from JC Penney when they had an automotive department. Half filled jars and bottles of turpentine, garden chemicals that were banned in the 1980s, dried out cans of paint, beat up rusty rakes and shovels, etc. etc. etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter