What jobs are common in your family?

My husband’s family has a lot of bricklayers. I think my husband and his brother are the last ones going into that line of work in their family.

Tie between lawyers and engineers - 5 of each…

Retired.

Prior to my wife and I retiring, it was TV News.

Nurses , and all my brothers and brother in laws work for a big equipment rental place all driving truck.

In my immediate family-- medical, specifically surgical/OR related.

Spouse is a nurse managing orthopedic surgery. DD24 is a sales rep for surgical implants. DD19 works in sterile processing. They see each other at work most days. I manage an anesthesia staffing company, so I'm not in the OR but all my employees are. Our youngest (17) is doing a CNA certification at the community college and is planning on nursing school after graduation.

I don't think there are any common jobs in our extended families. Everyone does something different.

My family as a child growing up were either professional truck drivers or mechanics or both.
Now my children are grown and almost all are either in IT or Project Management. A job title that didn't even exist 20 years ago. I think back then they were called Middle Management which was primarily my whole career.. Also another name for Organizers or "get 'er doners".:)

All over the place. Dad was military and then a college dean. Mom was mostly a homemaker, but did do some teaching for making the best use of limited food rations during World War Two. Me eldest sister was also a teacher, mostly fine arts. My other sister was a medical transcriptionist and my older brother is a medical device engineer. I myself am a Cyber Security Engineer.

A lot of state workers in my family. Myself, youngest son and youngest daughter. I also had a sister, aunts and a lot of cousins work for the state.

My grandmother came to Boston from Canada to do an RN program way back around the turn of the 20th century, as was common then (and never left). She spoke French. Her daughter, my mother, was a nurse’s aide that cared for people for a living, that’s how I learned it - by visiting her at work and going to sit and talk with patients, even when I was quite little, and later working there myself. I became an RN (Mom was so proud, though somewhat disappointed I never wore a white cap, lol, something she held in high esteem in her day) and my daughter is also now an RN, too. Four generations of caring for people/nursing. DD and I were proud to care for my mother through her illness and hospice experience at home. It was such an honor to do that for her after she’d cared for so many others during her lifetime. And she was really good at it, too. The type of person you’d want caring for you. Never complained about anyone, even when care circumstances were very difficult. ❤️ (She was like that at home, too, as a Mom.) Before she passed, when I was in college for nursing myself, my grandmother, who was elderly then, told me all about her whole experience with nursing school and coming to the States, etc. Very cool story.

My dad, my brother and myself work(ed) for General Motors. I took the buyout and went to nursing school when my plant shut down. My dad retired from GM.

One of my daughters is a State officer (probation and parole) and one of my brothers is a Federal Marshal.

Another daughter is a teacher working on her doctorate.

My son is a welder by trade and works for my husband.

My youngest daughter is an HR/Marketing Professional and works for a leading global provider of technology-enabled risk, benefits and integrated business solutions-remotely.

I am now working for a non profit.

So, we are a modge podge of careers.

My mom was a Social Studies teacher, I am a special education social studies teacher and my oldest daughter is a special education social studies teacher. My husband is in data analysis and so is my oldest son. Not sure where the younger dd and younger son will end up.

Looking at my parents generation and mine:
-3 family members are/were city bus drivers
-2 hair stylists

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter