What Kind of Shoes?

sleepingbeauty17

Earning My Ears
Calling all shoe experts! I'm new to the RunDisney community, I'm looking to train for a Disney race and get more into running as a whole. I'm a pretty active person, I try to get to the gym four times a week, but I'm only going on the elliptical and lifting a few weights. Currently I wear Nike free runs and don't have any issues with them but I'm hoping to start running outside and on the treadmill more once it gets cold (I live in Boston). Would I be better off switching to a more structured shoe like Asics, or some other brand? If it helps I usually wear my shoes down on the outside near the front first. Looking forward to joining the RunDisney community!

You need to go to a running store to be fitted for a shoe properly. Different shoes work for different people.

I suppose part of my question is if it is even worth it to spend the money on a good pair of running shoes if my current Nikes aren't giving me any trouble

you say you use elliptical only - well then you are fine, but once you start running those shoes may not be good for you at all. You may get injured in the wrong shoes - save yourself the trouble and just get fitted for a real pair for running.

I used to run in a pair of Nike's and then got fitted for sneakers that were made for my running style and it made a world of difference. I just felt better after runs, especially once they started getting longer. Depending where you are in Mass, Marathon Sports is a good place to go and do a run analysis.

Like everyone else said, you'll want to go to a running store. The biggest thing for me was the customized arch supports. I have high arches and have never had a pair of athletic shoes, or shoes in general, that had a high enough arch support. It has made a huge difference. I also found I prefer a shoe with less cushioning than I had picked on my own. I got lucky and had randomly picked a pair of asics on clearance that were neutral like I need and didn't mess with anything.

I also like that where I go, Road Runner, I can try the shoes, or whatever else I get there, for 90 days and I can return or exchange them if I'm not happy with them. I had to have one of my arches remolded and I've returned countless pairs of socks trying to find the correct ones, always washing them first :) Ironically I think I found my happy socks on clearance at Target. I think it was a one off, limited time thing they sold this brand, saw them on clearance and finally looked at them and saw that they don't have seams! And one style that does the sewn part is actually on the outside of the sock, so for once I don't have to wear my socks inside out to keep the seam away from my toes

I suppose part of my question is if it is even worth it to spend the money on a good pair of running shoes if my current Nikes aren't giving me any trouble
Yes, because once you start running, you may find that they aren't the correct shoes for you to RUN in.

Go to a running store and get fitted before you run a single step. The correct pair of shoes FOR YOU can make all the difference.

IMO, yes, a good, well fitted shoe is worth every penny you pay for them. I never thought I'd be happy to pay $125 for a pair of 'running shoes'.. Now I look forward to going shoe shopping.. I'm worse than my wife on wanting shoes haha.. Problem are, mine are all colorful, reflective running shoes now :). A good running store will watch you run / walk / how your foot moves and suggest a shoe based on that. And if you are going to be doing long distance running, get a rotation started.. Get a pair, wait a while get another pair, as you get lots of miles on the first, start putting some on the second etc etc..

Also keep in mind the surfaces you are going to be running on. Running through the parks is 100% pavements which can be rough on your body. Therefore you might want or need a shoe with more cushion or support than your nike free runs.

Fyi, good running shoes are very important. More important than you think and you do need to swap them out ever few hundred miles - like 400 max. It is a tough lesson to learn when you don't swap them out - I suffered a Cuboid bone stress fracture and my shoes contributed to it because I went beyond 500 miles on them for sure. Now I had to stop running for 8 weeks and have only recently restarted - now my conditioning is shot as a result. I went from 8 min/mile and currently struggling at 9:45 min/mile. Wrong shoes will cause you both physical and then mental pain/anguish when you inevitably will have to suffer through a recovery because you didn't heed the warnings.

Allow me to play the role of devil's advocate here. If you are young and fit, I would try running in your current shoes first. Why? Because you may find that you hate running and I never suggest that folks run when they hate it.

My advice - give yourself a month or two in your current shoes. If you find that you enjoy running, go get fitted.

I had some Nikes I was using when I first started running. They were fine for stuff in the gym but once I hit the pavement, ow...my shins, my arches. I went to a local store that allows you to return shoes after you've worn them in case they do not work out for you. I highly recommend going to a store like that if there is one in your area. They can watch you run and help you find the shoes that are best for you (if you pronate, etc).

The first pair of shoes I bought I had to return. The ones I have now are amazing and oh so comfortable. They were also something I would have never picked out on my own without help.

My first run in a pair of specific, fitted shoes was the best feeling I have ever had running. I am the poster child for... over pronating? I think thats the term. And I have very wide feet. The moment I tried my shoes on felt like sunshine and butterflies were coming thru the ceiling and there were people singing. haha... It was phenomenal.

My first run in a pair of specific, fitted shoes was the best feeling I have ever had running. I am the poster child for... over pronating? I think thats the term. And I have very wide feet. The moment I tried my shoes on felt like sunshine and butterflies were coming thru the ceiling and there were people singing. haha... It was phenomenal.

Yes! Mine felt like I was running on a rainbow made of unicorns farts. Majestic!

As an experienced runner, I will agree with the posters above and say you should really find a running store and get a gait analysis (where they watch you run on a treadmill).

As a frugal person, I will say if you won't be running more than a 5k distance, you could be fine with shoes from a department store. Your old Nikes are likely worn from use, so you should get a new pair - even if it's the same make/brand! This works well for most people who aren't putting a lot of miles on their feet/shoes.

BUT if for any reason you have shin splints, knee pain, blisters, etc., OR if you decide to take on a longer distance, head to the running store! Your body will thank you.

As many others have said, the right pair of shoes for you is the pair of shoes that is best for you. I have learned in my life that a specific brand of running shoes works best for me. I have had salesman try to push another pair on me "because so many people like it." But I told them I wanted my brand and held firm.

As someone who went in the past 15 months from no running to the Disney World marathon, get a good pair of running shoes, especially if you're wanting to do longer distances. Go to a running store, they will test your gait and recommend shoes and plan to spend some time trying on lots of shoes. I typically look for shoes on sale and hated the idea of spending $150 on a pair of shoes, but it will be worth it. I did a lot of online research, went to the store and ended up with Hoka One One shoes, a brand I'd never heard of before. They were light and they did a great job getting me to the marathon and I got a new pair of the same shoe to train for Dumbo.

As someone who went in the past 15 months from no running to the Disney World marathon, get a good pair of running shoes, especially if you're wanting to do longer distances. Go to a running store, they will test your gait and recommend shoes and plan to spend some time trying on lots of shoes. I typically look for shoes on sale and hated the idea of spending $150 on a pair of shoes, but it will be worth it. I did a lot of online research, went to the store and ended up with Hoka One One shoes, a brand I'd never heard of before. They were light and they did a great job getting me to the marathon and I got a new pair of the same shoe to train for Dumbo.

I ran my first full at Disney in a pair of Nike Free Run 2s,I absolutely loved the shoe,loved how flexible,light and simply put they were one of the most comfortable shoes I ever owned.With that said even though I ran that marathon without issues the truth is that for a full or even a half marathon a shoe with more cushioning would've suited me better and made going that distance easier.During the next few years I transitioned from a minimalist shoe like the Nike free run to the Hoka,a brand known for having the most cushioning you'll find in any shoe out there and many models are so light its like the best of both worlds,they can't really be very flexible but when you have a pair of super light,super cushioned shoe on your feet it just makes you want to run these races and makes getting through them easier.But I'll also agree with everyone else to suggest going to a running store and trying out the shoes and see which agree with you.I remember buying a pair of those Asics gel noosas tons of people were running in several years ago and for me I couldn't imagine a more uncomfortable shoe to run in,at least for me,they felt slightly more comfortable than a dress shoe,I still wore them around but no way was I running in them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter