What Makes Your Guide Great?

connorlevismom

DIS Veteran
Along the same lines as the thread "who is your guide" I wanted to make a thread about what makes your guide great?

Do they do special things for you? What is it that they do that makes you just adore them?

I am super interested in hearing what everyone has to say!

Kristine

Our guide is Glenn Wilson, and although he hasn't done anything special since we joined, he did do something 4 years ago that I really appreciate. I was on a solo trip, and I just took the tour as something to do. So here comes married woman without her spouse. Lots of sales people would have blown me off-"if DH didn't even come on the tour, this can't be a serious prospect so why waste my time." And he probably would have been right-I really wasn't serious. But Glenn gave me the full tour and filled me with the info to take home to show DH. When I got home with the plastic bag full of stuff, I didn't think DH would even want to see it, so I didn't mention it. But obviously he did and here we are!

Heck, I'd settle for a mediocre guide. Ours hasn't contacted us once. Not ever, in any form. And she's had 2 years to do it.

DisFlan

We never hear from our guide. Anytime we've met with her at WDW she's been super nice but she only calls when we call with a question.

We liked our guide Nick Tamberrino. But, to tell you the truth, we havent spoken to him since August of 2004 when he sold us the DVC. Is it normal for a guide to contact you? If so, what do they contact you about? Just to check in on you or what?

YesYourMajesty said:
We liked our guide Nick Tamberrino. But, to tell you the truth, we havent spoken to him since August of 2004 when he sold us the DVC. Is it normal for a guide to contact you? If so, what do they contact you about? Just to check in on you or what?

I don't know when they're supposed to contact you (or not), but I called with a few questions right after we joined. No call back. I called back a month later. No call back. I got my answers elsewhere.

She's also missed an add-on opportunity. I'll ask for a new guide first.

DisFlan

That is to bad that you never got your calls returned. I would be really irritated as well and would ask for a new guide too. That is just rude.

Kristine

DisFlan said:
I don't know when they're supposed to contact you (or not), but I called with a few questions right after we joined. No call back. I called back a month later. No call back. I got my answers elsewhere.

DisFlan

That's unfortunate that she didnt return your calls. I dont get that. I always return my work voice mails immediately. I hate leaving things sit around like that. Plus, one would assume that if you are taking the time to ask a question, perhaps she should take the time to answer it.....:sad2:

Judy Kaufman is my guide, and she did something really unexpected and wonderful on my first (and so far my only) trip home.

Stayed at OKW and came home from the parks one afternoon to see the message light on. It was Judy, she called to say HI see how our first stay home was. OMG, how nice.... I couldn't believe it.

Called her back to thank her, and she explained she tries to check her folks against the current ressie list and see if she gets any "hits". As time allows, she tries to call and say Hello!

Anyways I was VERY touched..... can't wait till I can add on and get more help from her :)

DisFlan said:

DisFlan

I think your guide is related to my guide. Mine never called me back either, I finally got my answer from the disboards! In fact when I called him three days after purchasing our contract, he didn't remember who we were. I had to provide him with lots of tidbits about us, "we had two kids, my husband is bald, we talked about Marco Island". He couldn't find our info and kept insisting he had never met us. It was so frustrating considering the fact that we toured, bought and closed all that same day. We spent at least three hours with this guy. I would NEVER use him for an add on.

extraredstuff said:
Judy Kaufman is my guide, and she did something really unexpected and wonderful on my first (and so far my only) trip home.

Stayed at OKW and came home from the parks one afternoon to see the message light on. It was Judy, she called to say HI see how our first stay home was. OMG, how nice.... I couldn't believe it.

Called her back to thank her, and she explained she tries to check her folks against the current ressie list and see if she gets any "hits". As time allows, she tries to call and say Hello!

Anyways I was VERY touched..... can't wait till I can add on and get more help from her :)

We don't have Judey but our guide did the same thing. We also rec'd a message saying Welcome Home and to come to the member updates and if there was anything he could do to let him know.

It was an unexpected surprise and very nice. It's those little things that can make a big impact.

Our guide is Jim McCoy.

We first began investigating DVC around 2001 & Jim spent a good amount of time on the phone answering any & all questions we had. Unfortunately, at that time, finances were different & we decided that it wasn't the right move for us then. (FWIW, VWL was $73 p/pt, ugh!) He was so nice about everything.

Flash forward almost 3 years. While on a stay at CR, DH goes downstairs to fill our mugs & comes back with the little yellow flyer. Can't convince him to take the tour but I still had the big info pack at home along with Jim's business card.

He not only still had us in his records but must have taken notes while we were chatting because he referred to my kids by name, age, etc. Had a bunch of details that it made it feel like you were catching up with an old friend. We ended up purchasing at SSR & have done 1 add-on so far.

I have never waited more than a half day for a return call. Jim always makes you feel as if your call is important, you are important, & he genuinely wants you to have the absolute, hands down, best experience with DVC possible.

Thanks Jim! :cheer2:

When we joined we were told that our guide would keep tabs on us. Contact periodically and ensure we didn't miss any banking deadlines. I guess they are too busy selling to new members.

My guide, Doug Rapp, is just OK. We don't love the guy but he was professional. He did tell me about the Dis, however! :cool1: Just added on with him, all it took was a simple phone call. My original guide from 1992 is gone so we got assigned this guy.

johnny

Byron :thumbsup2

I always get a "welcome home" call
bought me a drink the last trip when we met up :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
Always calls right back
Never pushy
Remembers personal things (dd, trips, where I want to add points, etc)
Just a great guy. He said he tries to meet as many of us as he can!

twotoohappy said:

Always calls right back
Never pushy

Wow! Byron sounds great! Can I borrow him?

DisFlan

As veterans of the timeshare wars, we are used to pushy, ingratiating salesmen who are interested only in selling you and then moving on.

We have found only two places who sell differently: Club Cascadas in Cabo San Lucas and DVC - and we own at both.

Disney's use of the term 'Guide' is a good alternative to 'sales.' At both resorts, they are much more than just salesmen. Tommy at DVC (and Kelly at Cascadas) share many of the same traits: they're both upbeat, pleasant people to work with; they have great memories for the properties we own, how we use them, where we want to add on; and both display an 'I'm here for you' attitude.

When we made our first (and only until October '06) visit Home, there was a Welcome Home voicemail in our room. Tommy returns calls promptly. We've added on with him both at SSR and BWV and the process is always seamless and painless.

And if his trip back to WDW in October and ours for the Members' Cruise match up, we may get that drink, too!

twotoohappy said:

Always calls right back
Never pushy

WOW so glad I got Byron too , thanks ROGERRAM :thumbsup2

IMO - Guides are absolutely worthless. I actually hate the term guide, they are not guides folks - they are timeshare sales people. Our "guide" really put the hard sell on us when we had our first visit and made us feel like we were making a big mistake when we didn't buy on the spot. He claimed he was doing this because past customers had told him that they wished he had put more pressure on them to buy. When we went back the following year to actually buy, I had called and actually setup an appt. with him to make the purchase. He couldn't even be bothered to be there and someone else did all the actual work, while our original guide got the commission. We never even heard from him - no thank you, no let me know if I can help, no nothing. Then when we did our add-on, we handled the whole thing over the phone. That was two years ago we haven't heard a thing from him since then. I don't know why folks think they might be getting some on-going support from these people, that is the purpose of MS. Guides are salesmen (and pretty close to car salesmen IMO as far as their tactics) pure and simple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter