• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What MK rides close in the rain?

DisneyZB

When I win the lottery, I'm moving to Disney.
Headed out tomorrow and it looks like rain the whole length of our stay. ☹️ Only park I’m really worried about is Magic Kingdom though since that has the hubby’s favorite rides. Can anyone tell me what rides close down when it rains so I can plan accordingly? Thanks!

Off the top of my head... Big Thunder, Seven Dwarves, Tommorwland Speedway and sometimes Pirates if the water level gets too high.

I'm not sure about Splash.

Many, many years ago (before New Fantasyland), my daughter and I were there during a very heavy rain shower in the afternoon There was no lightning. There was no line at Dumbo, and we assumed it was shut down. I just happened to ask the CM, and he told me they were open. As we were getting on, another dad and his son got on. We were the only four people on the ride. After the ride, the CM asked if we wanted to stay on since there was no one in line, which we did. The other dad and son got off. So my daughter and I were the only ones riding Dumbo. We were laughing have a great time.

During the summer, rain is predicted each day, generally in the afternoon. Bring a poncho or some other rain gear. Take advantage of the rain, since a lot of people leave, even though the rain doesn't last long.

I hear you DisneyZB. We leave tomorrow as well. Looks like rain for our whole trip as well. Having been over 30 times I am bummed, but it would be worse if I were a first timer and had never ridden rides that might close due to rain/lightening...the latter being more of a threat.

One time it was pouring and we thought Splash was closed, but it wasn't and there was no line so we rode it several times in a row. Sometimes rain can e a perk.

Last edited:

All outdoor attractions shut down when there is lightening within a certain radius, regardless of whether or not it is raining. I don’t know if rain alone shuts anything down. Clearly not Splash Mountain :p or apparently Dumbo.

All outdoor attractions shut down when there is lightening within a certain radius, regardless of whether or not it is raining. I don’t know if rain alone shuts anything down. Clearly not Splash Mountain :p or apparently Dumbo.
Yep, I’ve been standing in full sun at the Big Thunder entrance when the ride is closed due to a nearby thunderstorm (that had passed N of the whole park)
And I’ve been drenched on Big Thunder riding in the rain.

Rain itself will not shut down rides. We were there 2 weeks ago and rode Seven Dwarfs, Splash, Thunder in the rain. In fact Thunder was so empty they just let us stay on the train and ride again.

I'm wondering if the rides are affected more by lightning than by rain.

Absolutely this is true! Rain by itself does not close too many rides, but rides shut down very quickly with lightening.
We have had some of our best days with overcast/drizzle/rain days. Downpours are not fun but in Florida they usually don't last too long.

Yes, they are. We've been there when lightning spotted aways off shut down all outdoor activities. It wasn't even raining.

The rain we can handle, but lightning is a real bummer because everything can get shut down for hours, even pools, naturally, and even in the absence of rain.

I've been numerous times in the rain, and that does not tend to close the rides that are predominantly outside. Like others have said, once lightning is seen then they will shutdown the outside attractions.

As long as you don't mind getting wet then you should still have fun. Just plan ahead and wear clothes that dry quickly, and carry an umbrella/poncho.

Rain itself will not shut down rides. We were there 2 weeks ago and rode Seven Dwarfs, Splash, Thunder in the rain. In fact Thunder was so empty they just let us stay on the train and ride again.

Yes, I was at the MK yesterday, and even though it was raining, nothing shut down. But I'll bet lightening would have been a different story. Regarding tomorrow's forecast, don't be so sure until you wake up. Today was almost guaranteed rain. But now it's sunny, and no rain is forecast until 8:00 tonight. The rain yesterday wasn't in the forecast, that's why my umbrella and poncho were still in the room.

I hear you DisneyZB. We leave tomorrow as well. Looks like rain for our whole trip as well. Having been over 30 times I am bummed, but it would be worse if I were a first timer and had never ridden rides that might close due to rain/lightening...the latter being more of a threat.

One time it was pouring and we thought Splash was closed, but it wasn't and there was no line so we rode it several times in a row. Sometimes rain can e a perk.
they only shuts down when the is thunder + lightning

The rain yesterday wasn't in the forecast, that's why my umbrella and poncho were still in the room.

We were so caught off-guard by yesterday's rain too! When we left the room, I assured my family that two different weather sites said 0% chance of rain. We were all tired of carrying ponchos that had been unneeded for several days so we packed light for our last park day and sure enough there was rain. But it gave us a chance to do some unplanned things in Tomorrowland that were inside and after lunch the rain was over.

None of them automatically close in the rain. I've ridden BTMR in the rain a couple times. They only shut down rides when there's lightning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter