• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What new park developments are you most excited about from #D23?

Honestly at the end of the day I feel the lackluster announcements for WDW is just another sign of the new penny pinching CEO. The whole blue sky part of the presentation was just to fill out the normal block of time they use for Parks at D23 and perhaps a foreshadowing of future questionnaires at WDW. The fan base has been asking for more villain's for years, but you would have to loosen the purse strings and not focus as heavily on investor returns to get that type of commitment from Disney right now. Most of the show was stuff we already knew was in the works, and announced years ago. The "new stuff" was character interactions, only real domestic news was in Disneyland and that was more to do with themeing then anything else.

Tell that to Universal. They are dealing with the same thing. Yet they have no issue building a whole new park to open in 3 years. Same with other parks across the country. Yet Disney gets a pass. I think I know the answer to that.

And a brand new ride... tron where are you?

I doubt Zootopia and Moana at Animal Kingdom will fly, especially since they defeat that park's purpose. Better options instead would be South America, Australia, the Polar Caps, and North America, complete with new animals. Possibly a resurrected Beastly Kingdom as well. DinoLand can be transformed into Prehistoricville, which would celebrate both dinosaurs and prehistoric mammals.
What would bring in more guests zootopia/moana themed land or more dinosaurs? I would take zootopia/moana all day and make up some lame excuse why is fits because at the end of the day no one really cares about a parks purpose.

I don't get why people think Disney has lacked development. In 5 years we've gotten 3 new lands. We've gotten FoP, Millenium Falcon ride, Runaway Railroad, Slinky dog, Guardians, RotR, Remy's. In a few months we will get Tron.

People applaud Universal for Epic Universe (which they needed in order to become more of a travel destination and not second fiddle) but that is still 3 years away. Also, I love the attack on IP always for Disney but the applause Universal gets when their new park is almost entirely IP related. I don't think IP matters, its the execution that matters. Guardians received incredible criticism based on being IP, location, getting away from Epcot's messaging, etc. Yet because the ride was very well executed, its well received and people love it.

Zootopia is getting hate because it doesn't feel like it fits Animal Kingdoms natural theme. But how will it be executed? What if they have a rainforest district that includes south american animals to visit? What if they have a Tundratown complete with an artic exhibit? Possibilities are endless to make it fit the overall theme of Animal Kingdom while bringing a loved IP that people recognize.

I agree, it doesn't matter as much what the IP is as long as the ride is excellent. It's still got to be outstanding even if you don't know or don't like the IP. Like FOP - you don't have to be an Avatar fan to think that's a fantastic ride. I think that's why GotG is accepted at EPCOT - it's an excellent ride, so the IP and how well it doesn't fit at EPCOT ends up mattering much less.

I'm far less concerned with what IPs they pick and more concerned with how engaging the attractions are for people that aren't fans of those IPs.

Of course, I really wish, like many I'm sure, that Disney would put some resources into creating non IP based attractions. I wish they weren't terrified to make some new classics like Pirates, HM, Jungle Cruise, etc. But I'm not naive enough to think we'll ever see another non IP major attraction at a Disney park in the US. The only thing I can hope for is that they make outstanding stuff regardless of its IP and that they don't phone anything in.

(And I do think that's why people are less critical of Universal's IP focus than Disney. Universal has always done IP stuff. We know Disney can create amazing attractions that aren't IP based... they're just going to refuse to do it ever again.)

Tell that to Universal. They are dealing with the same thing. Yet they have no issue building a whole new park to open in 3 years. Same with other parks across the country. Yet Disney gets a pass. I think I know the answer to that.
Also, reminder that Epic Universe was supposed to open next year but got pushed back by two years.

I agree, it doesn't matter as much what the IP is as long as the ride is excellent. It's still got to be outstanding even if you don't know or don't like the IP. Like FOP - you don't have to be an Avatar fan to think that's a fantastic ride. I think that's why GotG is accepted at EPCOT - it's an excellent ride, so the IP and how well it doesn't fit at EPCOT ends up mattering much less.

I'm far less concerned with what IPs they pick and more concerned with how engaging the attractions are for people that aren't fans of those IPs.

Of course, I really wish, like many I'm sure, that Disney would put some resources into creating non IP based attractions. I wish they weren't terrified to make some new classics like Pirates, HM, Jungle Cruise, etc. But I'm not naive enough to think we'll ever see another non IP major attraction at a Disney park in the US. The only thing I can hope for is that they make outstanding stuff regardless of its IP and that they don't phone anything in.

(And I do think that's why people are less critical of Universal's IP focus than Disney. Universal has always done IP stuff. We know Disney can create amazing attractions that aren't IP based... they're just going to refuse to do it ever again.)
I agree, it would be cool to get a well executed non-IP ride. But there are also so many different IPs that haven't been explored that I would absolutely welcome. They could build an entire star wars related park and I'd absolutely be for it. Or an entire villains park, etc. I just think from a risk perspective IP makes more sense for them. A poorly received non-IP ride would just sit in dust. A poorly received Moana ride would still be popular because people enjoy Moana and seeing characters they recognize.

I still think they should take risks, and I'm sure they have thrown ideas out there ( thinking about you project gemini) However, I think from fan response it makes it a bit more difficult because of how critical people are of Disney as a whole lately and especially change.

Also, reminder that Epic Universe was supposed to open next year but got pushed back by two years.
Yeah. I find it a bit silly to compare the Epic Universe projected timeline to any of Disney's actual timelines. There's no guarantee whatsoever they get the park open in 2025. And even if they do, who knows how many of the projected attractions won't open with the park or will experience technical difficulties or delays.

I would wait to praise Universal's Epic Universe amazingness until we actually see it, lol. Universal isn't infallible. I pointed out the major technical issues and delays with the Mummy refurb in a different post but also look at what they did with Fast & Furious. That's straight up hot garbage 😂 None of Disney's newest rides are reviled like that one. And it had a delayed opening as well.

There are lull periods, they can't just keep shelling out 3 or 4 major rides every year.
Exactly. They are opening very little and can't even fill the Little Mermaid theater. It doesn't line up with this D23 grand announcement of new lands maybe someday, perhaps. The announcement of all of this new stuff was a joke compared to what is actually happening, which is not much.

I guess the actual answer of we don't need to put in new stuff or even replace the empty stuff or, you know, get the HS rides working consistently, because you guys just keep spending more anyway isn't what the crowd wanted.

Yeah. I find it a bit silly to compare the Epic Universe projected timeline to any of Disney's actual timelines. There's no guarantee whatsoever they get the park open in 2025. And even if they do, who knows how many of the projected attractions won't open with the park or will experience technical difficulties or delays.

I would wait to praise Universal's Epic Universe amazingness until we actually see it, lol. Universal isn't infallible. I pointed out the major technical issues and delays with the Mummy refurb in a different post but also look at what they did with Fast & Furious. That's straight up hot garbage 😂 None of Disney's newest rides are reviled like that one. And it had a delayed opening as well.
At least they are opening a bunch of new new attractions. It's not so much Universal is better, its more that WDW isn't really adding anything new in that same time frame. I see what Tokyo is getting and ask why can't WDW get any of that? WDW needs more attractions in all their parks and all that's coming anytime soon is Tron and Tiana. There should have been more then that coming

Exactly. They are opening very little and can't even fill the Little Mermaid theater. It doesn't line up with this D23 grand announcement of new lands maybe someday, perhaps. The announcement of all of this new stuff was a joke compared to what is actually happening, which is not much.

I guess the actual answer of we don't need to put in new stuff or even replace the empty stuff or, you know, get the HS rides working consistently, because you guys just keep spending more anyway isn't what the crowd wanted.
Well said and it makes complete sense.

At least they are opening a bunch of new new attractions. It's not so much Universal is better, its more that WDW isn't really adding anything new in that same time frame. I see what Tokyo is getting and ask why can't WDW get any of that? WDW needs more attractions in all their parks and all that's coming anytime soon is Tron and Tiana. There should have been more then that coming

I agree, it's disappointing that there were no concrete plans announced for anything new. AK desperately needs more. They should have unveiled actual concrete plans with an actual concrete timeline for something new there.

You say you want what Tokyo is getting, but can you imagine if they announced WDW was closing Space Mountain for 3 years for an update? WDW fans would go crazy. Its easier to be excited for Tokyo Disney updates because you don't actually live there and don't visit much (if at all). WDW got 3 land expansions in the last 5 years and several rides. It is absolutely feasible that we could see any of these additional expansions occur even before the Tokyo Space Mountain update is finished.

In terms of Universal. Once again, execution is key. I have an annual pass to UO too but a lot of the rides i don't even go on. Jimmy Fallon, Despicable Me, Transformers, Fast and the Furious, Simpsons Ride, King Kong, Storm Force, Forbidden Journey are mostly skips for me. If Epic Universe ends up being a bunch of 3D screens that are poorly executed, then why would it be that exciting? I absolutely love what they did with Hagrids and Velciocoaster, but I also hate a lot of the rides they've released prior to that. I honestly HOPE that it is extremely innovative and successful, because I'll visit it, but getting excited or comparing it before we get details is a bit premature. Obviously the bright shiny new toy is going to get hype.

Let’s not also disregard ongoing staffing issues and the impact this has on everything. Some restaurants still have not reopened, mousekeeping is still not back to daily, there’s no room service, some attractions (Belle in MK, Ariel’s Grotto). Tron will require increase in cast members… this will take time to find CMs, and train them. They really can’t take the leap into building entire new lands when they can’t even staff their existing areas.

You say you want what Tokyo is getting, but can you imagine if they announced WDW was closing Space Mountain for 3 years for an update? WDW fans would go crazy. Its easier to be excited for Tokyo Disney updates because you don't actually live there and don't visit much (if at all). WDW got 3 land expansions in the last 5 years and several rides. It is absolutely feasible that we could see any of these additional expansions occur even before the Tokyo Space Mountain update is finished.

In terms of Universal. Once again, execution is key. I have an annual pass to UO too but a lot of the rides i don't even go on. Jimmy Fallon, Despicable Me, Transformers, Fast and the Furious, Simpsons Ride, King Kong, Storm Force, Forbidden Journey are mostly skips for me. If Epic Universe ends up being a bunch of 3D screens that are poorly executed, then why would it be that exciting? I absolutely love what they did with Hagrids and Velciocoaster, but I also hate a lot of the rides they've released prior to that. I honestly HOPE that it is extremely innovative and successful, because I'll visit it, but getting excited or comparing it before we get details is a bit premature. Obviously the bright shiny new toy is going to get hype.
The problem I have is they have been so far behind in adding enough capacity for the crowds they get they needed to continue on that path. Instead they gave us a lot of "What ifs" that may be cut down drastically or not happen at all.

I know this will be a hot take but I would actually be okay with Space Mountain closing for 3 years to be updated. The WDW version is super rough and feels outdated compared to other coasters. I do agree that the majority of guests would not like that. Do you remember how many people flipped out over the announcement of Spaceship Earth closing for 2 years for a massive refurb?

Also I've been to Tokyo Disneyland and those rides are in better shape and way better quality than the ones in WDW. Rides do go down for regular maintenance (around 1 month) but the payoff is very noticeable. Their Indiana Jones has effects still working that broke a long time ago in the Disneyland version. I do wish WDW got the amazing attractions and good maintenance of attractions that TDL does.

I know this will be a hot take but I would actually be okay with Space Mountain closing for 3 years to be updated. The WDW version is super rough and feels outdated compared to other coasters. I do agree that the majority of guests would not like that. Do you remember how many people flipped out over the announcement of Spaceship Earth closing for 2 years for a massive refurb?

Also I've been to Tokyo Disneyland and those rides are in better shape and way better quality than the ones in WDW. Rides do go down for regular maintenance (around 1 month) but the payoff is very noticeable. Their Indiana Jones has effects still working that broke a long time ago in the Disneyland version. I do wish WDW got the amazing attractions and good maintenance of attractions that TDL does.
IMO the reason it's like that is that Disney doesn't own that park.

Having seen multiple reports from D23, it is disappointing what may or may not be coming to WDW.
While some of the Blue Sky concepts look really good, it's doubtful much of it will really happen. Maybe the AK stuff as that area really needs help and part of the ground has already been cleared.

The problem I have is they have been so far behind in adding enough capacity for the crowds they get they needed to continue on that path. Instead they gave us a lot of "What ifs" that may be cut down drastically or not happen at all.
I still think we could get one or more of these expansions by 2026. A reminder that Disney received the rights to Avatar in 2011, 3 days before the announcement to the public. We didn't even get concept art for another 2 years and then construction started in 2014, was supposed to finish in 2016 but got delayed to 2017. These have concept art already and ideas behind them already . Zootopia already has a build out coming in Shanghai. So I can easily see a more definitive announcement next year and possible opening date around 2026. Will it happen? Who knows. But they showed a project map and that map stopped at 2024, so 2025 and beyond is still a possibility for anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter