What new park developments are you most excited about from #D23?

Having seen multiple reports from D23, it is disappointing what may or may not be coming to WDW.
While some of the Blue Sky concepts look really good, it's doubtful much of it will really happen. Maybe the AK stuff as that area really needs help and part of the ground has already been cleared.
I don't know, those are pretty nice picnic tables they added.

Let’s not also disregard ongoing staffing issues and the impact this has on everything. Some restaurants still have not reopened, mousekeeping is still not back to daily, there’s no room service, some attractions (Belle in MK, Ariel’s Grotto). Tron will require increase in cast members… this will take time to find CMs, and train them. They really can’t take the leap into building entire new lands when they can’t even staff their existing areas.
I am going in October, and I was really hoping Belle would be open by then, but it looks like it won't be. Don't tell me about building whole new lands when you can't even staff Belle in her already-built attraction.

To be clear too, that Moana concept Art was much more detailed than the Magic Kingdom one. There was clearly a retooling of Triceratop Spin, Restaurantosaurus, and the gift shop and then one new ride being built. I could see the Moana section being approved and being built far before Zootopia exists in Animal Kingdom.

I know this will be a hot take but I would actually be okay with Space Mountain closing for 3 years to be updated. The WDW version is super rough and feels outdated compared to other coasters. I do agree that the majority of guests would not like that. Do you remember how many people flipped out over the announcement of Spaceship Earth closing for 2 years for a massive refurb?

Also I've been to Tokyo Disneyland and those rides are in better shape and way better quality than the ones in WDW. Rides do go down for regular maintenance (around 1 month) but the payoff is very noticeable. Their Indiana Jones has effects still working that broke a long time ago in the Disneyland version. I do wish WDW got the amazing attractions and good maintenance of attractions that TDL does.
Tokyo Disneyland is run by the Oriental Land Company and is also inside Japan. Japan as a culture has a much more stricter adherence to health. safety and maintenance the we see state side. The Oriental Land Company also has shown time and time again they are more than willing to continue investing large sums of money for new attractions, lands, theming in rides. I wish that Disney itself took a page from the Oriental Land Company when it comes to investing in the parks, then they currently do.

Tokyo Disneyland is run by the Oriental Land Company and is also inside Japan. Japan as a culture has a much more stricter adherence to health. safety and maintenance the we see state side. The Oriental Land Company also has shown time and time again they are more than willing to continue investing large sums of money for new attractions, lands, theming in rides. I wish that Disney itself took a page from the Oriental Land Company when it comes to investing in the parks, then they currently do.
I know its fairly simple, but I'm always jealous of the food Tokyo Disney has. I love the themed character food selections they have and wish WDW had more.

Yup, that's exactly how I feel. I really dislike the trend the US parks are in where they are neglecting maintenance on their rides. Almost every day I see a thread on here about multiple rides breaking down at once in Disneyland and Hollywood Studios. I understand it has to do with staffing but it's still so disappointing.

I mean, they can't even fill the empty stuff, like the Little Mermaid theater and the ugly empty patch in Dinoland. No one is building lands right now.
It will be interesting to see if down there pipeline something quietly is getting developed for show buildings like voyage of the little mermaid or stitch’s great escape where they already have a building infrastructure even if it is something low tech/screen based

excited is too strong a description for me. The new lands sound greta, but I won't get ecited til its rel and not just a blue sky idea. I really like the idea of adding the Hatbox Ghost to HM, but I won't get excited until its actually there (and hoping it won't reult in the removal of any existing scene I really like)

To be clear, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was testing in december of 2013 and opened in May 2014. So is the assumption they were also "dragging" that one out? Or do the time lines seem fairly consistent?
7DMT was not testing with humans until right before it opened. They were still testing with weights in April. It also was a new, one of a kind, unique ride system that wasn't even in the original NF plans. It was announced and built in about 2 years.

TRON is a clone. It was agreed that Shanghai would have an exclusive for a few years then the second one (that was built and being stored) could open at Magic Kingdom. They are currently testing humans. That would indicate it is pretty ready ride wise. The delay seems more like an accounting move. Maybe at this point it took so long it can be posted as a loss. :rolleyes:

excited is too strong a description for me. The new lands sound greta, but I won't get ecited til its rel and not just a blue sky idea. I really like the idea of adding the Hatbox Ghost to HM, but I won't get excited until its actually there (and hoping it won't result in the removal of any existing scene I really like)
If they just add him to the attic I'm good but I hope Constance and the story isn't disturbed. I have no idea if our attic is the same as theirs.

Once again, Disney confirms my attitude regarding new stuff coming soon: "I'll believe it when I see it up and running."
I agree with you on this.

In my own thoughts I'm wondering if the blue sky were put out there as the 'here's what we're thinking' rather than announcements partially due to all the BIG announcements from 2019 (?) that quietly went away like Reflections, Mary Poppins (ok that did a brief mention a few months ago), Play Pavillion, Spaceship Earth, etc.

From the beginning of WDW attractions that I remember in the old 1974 guide book marked as 'coming soon' (Western River Expedition) and became something else, hotels (the Asian, the Persian, the Mediterranean resorts) simply were shelved or turned into other things- like the land prepared for the Asian Resort became The Grand Floridian.
I'll simply say, I like what they're thinking and I'd like to see them follow through with it and I'll be happy if it happens. If not, oh well.

I'm trying to be positive, so, yay on HEA (2.0?) returning!

7DMT was not testing with humans until right before it opened. They were still testing with weights in April. It also was a new, one of a kind, unique ride system that wasn't even in the original NF plans. It was announced and built in about 2 years.

TRON is a clone. It was agreed that Shanghai would have an exclusive for a few years then the second one (that was built and being stored) could open at Magic Kingdom. They are currently testing humans. That would indicate it is pretty ready ride wise. The delay seems more like an accounting move. Maybe at this point it took so long it can be posted as a loss. :rolleyes:
why would Disney open a ride when there making money hand over fist during the 50th event? Disney clearly understands there will be a drop in attendance after the 50th so what better way
to get people back then to open new attraction(s).

Happily Ever After.

The new show's music was painful to listen to; this was the only good news I can actually believe will be happening.

To be clear too, that Moana concept Art was much more detailed than the Magic Kingdom one. There was clearly a retooling of Triceratop Spin, Restaurantosaurus, and the gift shop and then one new ride being built. I could see the Moana section being approved and being built far before Zootopia exists in Animal Kingdom.
Not when your already building zootopia in another park. What better way to save money then to duplicate a land that you already have engineering plans for. The whole dino land needs to be demolished and re done it's a giant waste of space. I would keep Dinosaur just re-theme it.

Not when your already building zootopia in another park. What better way to save money then to duplicate a land that you already have engineering plans for. The whole dino land needs to be demolished and re done it's a giant waste of space. I would keep Dinosaur just re-theme it.
Right, I can see them doing this as well. I'm just saying everyone is acting like these concepts are so new that we won't see them for 10 years if ever, but I feel like from a planning perspective either of them could be greenlit in a few months and be open around the same time as Epic Universe if they wanted to. Moana concept looks fairly complete and Zootopia already has one.

However, if they plan on adjusting plans for Zootopia and including different districts, etc. Who knows. I haven't seen a map for the shanghai disneyland version to know what it may or may not include.

Moana now has a date of "late 2023." That's a loooong time for Epcot to be such a mess. So, same stuff. Slow timeline. It's obvious no one is building lands right now, and they are slow rolling these couple projects.
There are lull periods, they can't just keep shelling out 3 or 4 major rides every year.

Agree with this, especially since they seem to be targeting return visits from a select demographic - big spenders vs. frequent visitors who spend less per visit.

I find it a bit silly to compare the Epic Universe projected timeline to any of Disney's actual timelines. There's no guarantee whatsoever they get the park open in 2025.

Wondering whether they released the blue sky ideas to gauge people's reactions as they decide where to invest in new land(s)/attraction(s) to compete with OU around the time of Epic Universe opening. Kind of using D23 attendees and hoopla as if they're focus groups.

While some of the Blue Sky concepts look really good, it's doubtful much of it will really happen. Maybe the AK stuff as that area really needs help and part of the ground has already been cleared.
I still think we could get one or more of these expansions by 2026.... I can easily see a more definitive announcement next year and possible opening date around 2026. Will it happen? Who knows. But they showed a project map and that map stopped at 2024, so 2025 and beyond is still a possibility for anything.

Still hoping to see Epcot's old WoL pavilion converted to an indoor, interactive, kid-friendly space.

My favorite announcement, by far, is the new nighttime show at Epcot. Here's hoping it will be much better than Harmonious and offer more locations around WS with an excellent view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter