• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What new "recipe" have you tried out during this quarantine?

I got to missing fast food and made a copycat Popeye's chicken recipe. It was close, but not quite. Still, very delicious. I don't deep fry very often, but I've done it 3x since on lock down.

I've gone "back" to some old favorites from college days, when we ate vegetarian because we were broke college students. Made delicious Complementary Pie (a savory dish, not dessert) and Tomato Soup like Campbell's Never Dreamed Of (which really and truly is the best tomato soup you'll ever have). It's been great.

Right before the great quarantine began, we got an instant pot. So we've been instant-potting all of the things.

Some successful ones- last night we had corned beef brisket with carrots, potatoes, and cabbage. We've also done a glazed spiral ham which was fantastic, and a great beef stew recipe.

Then there was the Chicken Alfredo. Looked brilliant- you cooked it all in the same instant pot- the chicken, sauce and pasta. Unfortunately, half the pasta burned to the bottom, the sauce didn't seem to fully cook, and the chicken was more dry than desert sand.

I tried out a butter chicken recipe this week. DH is trying to help out in the kitchen, and made chicken shawarma yesterday. Both were pretty good. Making lamb chops this weekend (a rare meal for me) wth roasted carrots.

We need that tomato soup recipe!

HEARTY TOMATO SOUP
(LIKE CAMPBELL'S NEVER DREAMED OF)
Frances Moore Lappé, Diet for a Small Planet at p.240
Serves 6

Ingredients:
Oil, as needed
1 clove garlic, minced
1 onion, choped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot chopped
1 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes, chopped and smashed
2 teaspoons of of salt
4 white peppercorns or lots of reshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of basil
1 teaspoon of oregano
2 tablespoons of wheat flour
1 1/2 cups of cooked rice (or 3/4 cup of raw rice)
3 cups of milk, hot
1 tablespoon of butter

Directions:
1. Saute the onions. Heat some oil in a heavy pot over medium high heat, saute the onion, garlic, celery and carrot until the onion is golden. Add flour and stir until toasty.

2. Add the rice. Add the rice, stir and saute until the rice is a little toasty.

3. Add the tomatoes and spices. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, oregano and basil. If you added raw rice, cook until the rice is done, about 45 minutes. If you are using precooked rice, cook until all of the flavbors mingle, at least fifteen minutes. Remove from heat.

4. Blend the ingredients. Puree all of the ingredients in a blender or you can run the ingredients through a sieve.

5. Add the milk and butter. Add the milk and butter, along with more salt and pepper if need. Warm the soup, but do not let it boil.

I use leftover rice in this rather than starting with uncooked rice. It takes a long time to cook the rice if you start with it raw. Anyway, I otherwise make it exactly as written. And, use my stick blender to puree it at the end. So good, and a meal unto itself. Best part for me is that it's made with ingredients that most people are going to have readily available.

I have a spin-off recipe of a classic I created yesterday.

I buy bacon at Sam's, 3 lb and cook it all at once with a dozen or so of fried eggs. I freeze it for breakfast sandwiches while I setup for the day at work.

Anyways, was cooking up my bacon so I toasted a couple pieces of bread. I slathered the bread with mayo, 6 slices of bacon, and couple pieces of lettuce.

I call it the BL and it was delicious.

Any normal times and I would have stopped at the store on the way home from work just to buy a tomato, but not bothering at the moment. So, had to truncate the T, LOL

It's the only way I do baked potatoes. Tried them on the Weber last year with a couple of Ribeyes, fabulous! Love the skin that forms in the cuts, which of course is also covered in seasoning rather than just on the outside skin. Yum!

I actually want to buy a commercial hasselback potato slicer as it's a pain to do it too much just using 2 wooden spoons.

We bought a movie projector for Christmas, which is coming in very handy, since we can't go to movie theaters. For movie night tomorrow I am going to make caramel popcorn for the first time. I was finally able to find some flour the other day and made some chocolate chip cookies just because.

It's the only way I do baked potatoes. Tried them on the Weber last year with a couple of Ribeyes, fabulous! Love the skin that forms in the cuts, which of course is also covered in seasoning rather than just on the outside skin. Yum!

I actually want to buy a commercial hasselback potato slicer as it's a pain to do it too much just using 2 wooden spoons.
You’ve inspired me to purchase a hasselback slicer from Amazon. It’s due to be here on the 18th. I can’t wait!

I just got a lovely gift in the mail from one of my culinary forum buddies: 1/8 of a wheel of Parmigiano-Reggiano! This is a lot of cheese ( full wheel weighs about 85 lbs thus I've a bit more than 10 lbs) so I'm trying to incorporate it into our Easter dinner. Was going to make a green minestrone soup (pic of a version I made a few Easters back)

but now I'm toying with utilising the cheese in this soup instead:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/10/stracciatella-alla-romana-italian-egg-drop-soup.html
I've never made the Italian egg drop soup before but it seems easy enough and I've already homemade broth as well as the cheese.

I satarted mixing chicken with queso and different vegetables and it looks gross but it is so good

Last edited:
@NYCgrrl, when my DS was going through his treatments, I think I made Stracciatella every Sunday for over 3 months. It was one of the only things he could keep down. The cheese makes the soup even better!

I'm so jealous of your cheese score!

I'm going all in with homemade cinnamon rolls tomorrow! I've never really played with breads and yeast. I'm lazy person and tend towards easy stir dump and bake breads. I'm excited but nervous. We will see how it goes!

I made my daughter in law a birthday gift yesterday of a homemade cheesecake! Sounds wonderful doesn't it???
Wrong! I put it in the smaller cheesecake pan and it almost baked over the top, then collapsed, then fell apart.
Grrrr. But I took it over anyway. I thought it'd be good for a laugh:) They are going to keep that ugly cheesecake for Easter dessert? Oh no. It really was bad looking, but I have a wonderful DIL:)

Don't care what it looks like- I would take that ugly thing right off your hands! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter