what nicknames do you have for the rooms in your home?

We don't really have any nicknames for our rooms. We just call them what everyone else calls similar rooms. However, my SIL has a guest room in her house. It became kind of catch-all/storage room (it was a mess). My niece, who was about 3 at the time, called it "the mystery bedroom" because you never knew what you might find in there. My niece is 19 now... and the whole family still refers to it as "the mystery bedroom."

Last edited:
I named our spare bedrooms based on color and decor…so we have the Green Garden Room, Blue Bird of Happiness Room and The Pink Princess Rose Room…

spar-oom (oldest's former bedroom)

claw-fice (walk in closet that also serves as an office)

We call our downstairs powder room the portal because years ago our cats would go in there and cry and cry at “something” but nothing was in there. They stopped going in there but we still refer to it as the portal 🤣

The front two bedrooms are still referred to by our children's names even though both children moved out years ago. And we added a bedroom onto the back of the housr and still call it the "new room" even though we added it on 32 years ago.

Den, Loft, Guest Room, Powder Room
But, aren't those the actual names for those rooms?

I named our spare bedrooms based on color and decor…so we have the Green Garden Room, Blue Bird of Happiness Room and The Pink Princess Rose Room…
My mom does this and they change periodically. Their last house had a "princess room" (the bed had steps to climb up).

When my kids were little, they had a playroom upstairs that we all called "the green room". Now we have a rental house where one bedroom is also called "the green room", so I suppose we are not too creative.

the toilet
Our last house had the separate toilet area within the bathroom so we jokingly called it "the poop closet" since the kids thought it felt like you were closing yourself into a tiny closet for privacy.

Our front/living room is called the toy room and our family room is called the TV room. We moved in when the kids were 1 & 3. They understood toys and TV...the concept of living room vs family room was too abstract at the time.

we have this random room before you go out to our back deck. When we first moved in and my daughter was younger it was her playroom. She is older now and no longer has toys, but our bunny is free roam in there now. Its still called the playroom!

My basement den has rough stone walls and a massive stone fire place, so I sometimes call it the "Barony".

Does anybody else have a room that doesn't have a name?

We have one. It's the room in between our kitchen and family room. It has our kitchen table, a piano and my sewing machine. But it not our dining room. Our dining room is on the other side of the kitchen, across from the living room.

...we used to call our enclosed-back-porch-turned-family-room "The Boat Room". The previous owners had a shelf along 3 of the walls [ about 7 ft high ] and had left their dust-covered Pilgrim-y, "Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria" ships on them....there were 7 of them altogether.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter