What Not to Eat While Pregnant In the Parks

WallEve1086

Earning My Ears
Hello,

I will be about 12 weeks pregnant during my next Disneyland trip and want to know what food items that I should steer clear from in the parks? I guess the biggest one is are corn dogs out of the question bc that would make me very sad but for the safety of baby Mouseketeer I will binge on them after he/she has arrived. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Nothing makes me shake my head more at Americans and the things "we" believe than lists like "what you can't eat while pregnant". How DO French women make it through pregnancy, I wonder?

I was a secret fish eater every so often (most days of the year I was vegetarian but every so often...) and then in 3rd tri when I developed the most non-awesome 3rd tri "morning sickness" I'm fairly certain the fish and chips regenerated and swam upstream. DS is 11 and I have never eaten fish since.

I trust my raw milk dairies and would have drank it if I could have stood the taste of milk.

I would have eaten eggs if the smell of them ( I could even smell them in french vanilla ice cream) didn't make me want to die.

Yeah I'm still not sure how I gained 60 pounds, since I pretty much ate nothing b/c all foods stank (by 5 months I couldn't go into a grocery store b/c the whole place smelled like old dried milk) or looked wrong and basically just made me cry all the time.

Fears:

Fish=mercury
Deli meats = some disease that literally no one thinks of at any other time
raw milk = people who think those dairies are kept as nasty as mainstream dairies and therefore cows are sick (raw milk is an amazing health food for those who choose to drink the milk of another species, which makes sense, since it's breastmilk for baby cows, and breastmilk tends to be healthy!)
Sushi= mercury again and also not trusting the fish or the sushi chef

Only thing I would think about is mercury. I don't worry about foods making me sick; I either trust where I get my food or I don't. And if I don't, I don't eat it ever. If I do trust it, I'd eat it whenever.

If I could. Which I couldn't.

Gained 60 pounds by breathing air....(OK so there was some chocolate cake and some NON french vanilla, just boring vanilla, ice cream in there)

Nothing makes me shake my head more at Americans and the things "we" believe than lists like "what you can't eat while pregnant". How DO French women make it through pregnancy, I wonder?

I was a secret fish eater every so often (most days of the year I was vegetarian but every so often...) and then in 3rd tri when I developed the most non-awesome 3rd tri "morning sickness" I'm fairly certain the fish and chips regenerated and swam upstream. DS is 11 and I have never eaten fish since.

I trust my raw milk dairies and would have drank it if I could have stood the taste of milk.

I would have eaten eggs if the smell of them ( I could even smell them in french vanilla ice cream) didn't make me want to die.

Yeah I'm still not sure how I gained 60 pounds, since I pretty much ate nothing b/c all foods stank (by 5 months I couldn't go into a grocery store b/c the whole place smelled like old dried milk) or looked wrong and basically just made me cry all the time.

Fears:

Fish=mercury
Deli meats = some disease that literally no one thinks of at any other time
raw milk = people who think those dairies are kept as nasty as mainstream dairies and therefore cows are sick (raw milk is an amazing health food for those who choose to drink the milk of another species, which makes sense, since it's breastmilk for baby cows, and breastmilk tends to be healthy!)
Sushi= mercury again and also not trusting the fish or the sushi chef

Only thing I would think about is mercury. I don't worry about foods making me sick; I either trust where I get my food or I don't. And if I don't, I don't eat it ever. If I do trust it, I'd eat it whenever.

If I could. Which I couldn't.

Gained 60 pounds by breathing air....(OK so there was some chocolate cake and some NON french vanilla, just boring vanilla, ice cream in there)

The bacteria associated with raw milk and deli meats is listeria. It's no joke, really, it can cause serious problems for a fetus. Unpasteurized dairy products can have listeria, salmonella, and/or E. coli in it. For most healthy adults, it's fine, you can consume small quantities of the bacteria and never get sick, but pregnant women are all slightly immunocompromised.

I also scooped cat litter, but since all 3 of our cats were indoor only, there was no chance of toxoplasmosis.

The only one I would not have done/tried is raw milk. I don't trust raw milk as a non-pregnant human.

I craved eggs and ate an egg mc muffin or Sonic breakfast sandwich daily, as well as tons of egg salad. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but DD7 is the youngest child in her grade and scores in the 95th to 100+ percentile in all of the standard grade level tests. She also loves to swim, which I'm sure my sushi eating contributed to.

Just be smart, and like someone else suggested - talk to your OB. Talking to YOUR medical professional is ALWAYS better than asking strangers on a message board, because I can guarantee not everyone will agree with me, or anyone else. (I AM a medical professional, but I'm not YOUR medical professional, also)

I agree- too many people are too crazy about foods while pregnant. I just had my 2nd daughter 5 weeks ago and I was 19 weeks pregnant last time I went to DL. I didnt use any food restrictions. Just alcohol and I only had one cup of caffeine (usually a coffee or tea in the morning). Just enjoy yourself! And yep I ate deli meat, hot dogs, etc with both pregnancies and all were OB approved and I have two healthy girls! Have fun!

I will lob in some suggestions of places to find especially good eats for a mom-to-be. Of course this all depends on whether you are experiencing any food aversions. I had terrible morning sickness with both of my pregnancies and was especially turned off by fried food. I sort of wish I could regain that aversion now :) So ideas for good eats that are good and healthy: 1) Hungry Bear has a great salad with smoked turkey, strawberries, feta and cranberries; 2) the Jolly Holiday combo of grilled cheese and tomato soup is straight forward and delicious comfort food; 3) the Paradise Garden Grill lemon-oregano grilled chicken skewers are great and come with cucumber salad, rice pilaf and nice warm pita; 4) at the DLH's Tangaroa Terrace they have a very good Asian Chicken Salad with cashews and all sorts of veggies.

I'm not a big hotdog eater anyway (we don't eat much meat), but my doctors told me with all three kids that it was okay to eat an occasional hot dog. Just don't eat them daily. If you want a corndog on your trip you can have one. I would say just avoid anything you can't stand the smell of or anything that just the thought of it makes you feel nauseous. And drink lots of water. Eat the same way you do at home and don't forget your prenatals.

I agree with talk to your doctor. But thought I'd tell you my experience. My first I followed every rule to the letter. Not one lunch meat sandwich, not one hot dog, not one sip of caffeine, etc. My first born has severe disabilities. My second born I decided not to follow the rules because well, I followed them the first time and look what happened. She has a disability but not nearly as severe and they said eventually she will be just like any typical child. So, do what makes you feel good and what your doctor says, but don't worry too much.

I will lob in some suggestions of places to find especially good eats for a mom-to-be. Of course this all depends on whether you are experiencing any food aversions. I had terrible morning sickness with both of my pregnancies and was especially turned off by fried food. I sort of wish I could regain that aversion now :) So ideas for good eats that are good and healthy: 1) Hungry Bear has a great salad with smoked turkey, strawberries, feta and cranberries; 2) the Jolly Holiday combo of grilled cheese and tomato soup is straight forward and delicious comfort food; 3) the Paradise Garden Grill lemon-oregano grilled chicken skewers are great and come with cucumber salad, rice pilaf and nice warm pita; 4) at the DLH's Tangaroa Terrace they have a very good Asian Chicken Salad with cashews and all sorts of veggies.
Lose your gall bladder. That will help with wanting to eat fried foods ever!

I haven't ever avoided anything (eating-wise) while pregnant. That being said, I do make sure to heat hot dogs (which I only eat when pregnant for some reason - they're not my thing usually), deli meat when I have a chance, and I don't like sushi or have many opportunities for unpasteurized soft cheeses. I only worried about what rides I couldn't go on (because of worry of placenta issues if you had a particularly rough ride.) I rode a couple of them anyways (hello, Soarin') but mostly played it safe.

I looked up Listeria for deli meat and hot dogs/sausages...basically I could not find any recent cases of listeria in the US caused by deli meat. It was almost always fruits and veggies (even organic!). I would avoid deli meat and hot dogs/bacon/sausages in large quantities because of the preservatives, personally, more than the listeria

Alcohol. Even consumed once during a pregnancy alcohol kills developing cells.

Www.NOFAS.org

My child has an FASD and it really makes our enjoyment of the parks a challenge. ;) He loves it but gets easily overstimulated. Thank goodness for the disability assistance DLR provides.

I agree- too many people are too crazy about foods while pregnant. I just had my 2nd daughter 5 weeks ago and I was 19 weeks pregnant last time I went to DL. I didnt use any food restrictions. Just alcohol and I only had one cup of caffeine (usually a coffee or tea in the morning). Just enjoy yourself! And yep I ate deli meat, hot dogs, etc with both pregnancies and all were OB approved and I have two healthy girls! Have fun!
I'm so happy to hear you abstained from alcohol. It's just '9 months'. :)

I looked up Listeria for deli meat and hot dogs/sausages...basically I could not find any recent cases of listeria in the US caused by deli meat. It was almost always fruits and veggies (even organic!). I would avoid deli meat and hot dogs/bacon/sausages in large quantities because of the preservatives, personally, more than the listeria
I read somewhere it's particularly bad in unpasteurized milk. The amish have a high rate of miscarriage because they don't pasteurize milk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter