what others rave about and you just dont get it

CRT. I booked that sucker the second I was able to because of all the hype around it. I made it our last night's dinner, so it would be special. We had to wait 20-30 minutes past our reservation time, which we didn't care that much about. The food was awful though. Truffle oil was added to something, I can't remember but it was in an appetizer, and the waitress even commented about how the chef was adding it that evening despite most of her tables saying how gross it was. I had pork as my entree and it was barely room temperature. We went on a MNSSHP night, and the theme'd dessert they brought out looked awesome, but didn't taste awesome. The fact that it took 2 dining credits made it even more painful. We had 3 ADRs everyday for 8 days, and CRT was the second most disappointing.

I'm fighting now for a BoG reservation, but I'm concerned I'll run into the same issue. Since we're going without our picky-eater son, a whole new world of places to eat opened up so I want to make the best of it. :goodvibes

CRT. I booked that sucker the second I was able to because of all the hype around it. I made it our last night's dinner, so it would be special. We had to wait 20-30 minutes past our reservation time, which we didn't care that much about. The food was awful though. Truffle oil was added to something, I can't remember but it was in an appetizer, and the waitress even commented about how the chef was adding it that evening despite most of her tables saying how gross it was. I had pork as my entree and it was barely room temperature. We went on a MNSSHP night, and the theme'd dessert they brought out looked awesome, but didn't taste awesome. The fact that it took 2 dining credits made it even more painful. We had 3 ADRs everyday for 8 days, and CRT was the second most disappointing.

I'm fighting now for a BoG reservation, but I'm concerned I'll run into the same issue. Since we're going without our picky-eater son, a whole new world of places to eat opened up so I want to make the best of it. :goodvibes

I understand that everyone has different tastes and you probably like places that I think are overrated but I really do think you probably were there on a off-night. My family and I absolutely LOVE the castle and have always had a great experience there. The servers are always wonderful and the food is always well cooked and delicious! I always get short ribs and they are probably some of the best ones I've ever had. We always are there for lunch which probably helps the situation though. The wait time is usually a issue though so that complaint I totally agree with you on. I can also see how dinner might be not as great. Every complaint I have ever heard about CRT that wasn't about wait times has been made by someone who only went to CRT for dinner. I have looked at the dinner menus for CRT and it is a lot "stuffier" than the other meals and the whole atmosphere of dinner from what i've heard is less family oriented and more geared towards adults only. The dessert changes alot and it usually is something that doesn't look even remotely appeitizing. If you are ever at CRT and the dessert is something weird and fancy sounding they will probably be willing to give you the kids dessert if you ask nicely. The old standby of ice cream or a cupcake is always great! I would recommend going for lunch before completely dismissing it. The food is a lot more main stream and it isn't anywhere near as stuffy as it seems like dinner is.

I feel really sad for you then, since you never got to experience the wonderful Beauty and the Beast show with the Belle who could sing. I wonder what happened to her and whoever thought that this new one would be a good replacement. She was stuggling to reach the high notes, her voice was just not strong enough, she was off key and she doesn't even look the part, in my opinion. I am sad myself as this was always a 'must-do' for us and I can't see myself going back as long as she is there :sad2:

I agree! Sometimes that show is really good and other times it just isn't anywhere near as well done. When the show has it's actually talented people it is really worth seeing but lately the performers haven't bee as good! Although i wasn't nearly as annoyed with how bad the belle was, for me it was the person playing gaston that really seemed to not be good. My family LOVES the movie of beauty and the beast. My brother and I were obsessed with that movie growing up and when he was in college (I think it was his sophmore year, it was right before he met his wife to be) he got to play gaston in a community theatre production of beauty and the beast. I know that I am a little biased when I say this but he literally gave the movie version of gaston a run for his money. He NAILED the part perfectly, he literally stole the show! He was the only person cast in the part (the other roles were double cast) and EVERYONE who came to the show raved about the person they had playing gaston. Whenever we meet people who saw the show and mention my brother they still remember him all these years later (he is now out of college and has been for 3 years) as the amazing gaston. needless to say ever since then my mom and I compare every gaston we see to my brother and none of them have lived up to our expectations. Once again i'm a little biased but I really have felt that the quality in people who have played that part has significantly decreased.

That's very disappointing to hear about the Beauty & The Beast show :( It was wonderful the last time I saw it!

The Jungle Cruise refurb thread reminded me to add that to my list. I know I know, it's a classic and I used to love it when I was a kid! But now, it's soooo cheesy and bad! We usually skip it because none of us want to wait on those looooong lines for it!

I saw it this year, I believe it was sometime in March? And the Belle was just....really, really bad. Gaston was pretty good as were the ensemble members, but Belle looked and sounded waaaay off. I was sad, too, since I had heard so many great things about it!

So upset to hear this! We haven't been to disney in a few years but I always loved this show! Hopefully they'll replace Belle before we go in August, LOL!

Pin Trading:confused3

You purchase a pin trading package or get used pins off EBAY, etc to trade w/ CM. So you start with say 10 pins and end w/ 10 different pins. Then you purchase more pins to trade them. Why not just purchase the pins you want? No trading required.

Because you can often get those pins for FAR cheaper in the packages or Ebay purchases. So you may end up paying less that $30 for those 10 pins instead of $90.

Then (if you Like that sort of thing) it turns into a fun "scavenger hunt" to find pins you like better and trade for them. Some people find quests fun!

But if you have the money and would just want to get what you want and be done with it, without "playing" then just purchasing them makes more sense.

DHS, overall, it is not a park we go to often We've been once in four trips and were underwhelmed by things to do there. We are trying it again this time if we can somehow snag TSM FPs.

Agreed! After several trips of skipping this park, we've decided to give it another try in October, mostly because we want to try TSM & Star Wars.

Boma - nearly had to sell my soul to get a ressie there and was extremely underwhelmed.

Dole Whips - I, too, don't get what the big deal is?! :confused3

Agreed! After several trips of skipping this park, we've decided to give it another try in October, mostly because we want to try TSM & Star Wars.

Boma - nearly had to sell my soul to get a ressie there and was extremely underwhelmed.

Dole Whips - I, too, don't get what the big deal is?! :confused3

I actually really was surprised and enjoyed The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow if you haven't seen it before.

There are some things that aren't my cup of tea (lines for Dumbo), but what I truly can't stand that others rave about:

• Dole Whips. Disgusting!
  • Crystal Palace is plain AWFUL! The food is meh and service is beyond bad. They make bad look great. In general, I can't really say any of the food at Disney is fantastic in general, just is good for theme-park food. I can get much better food at home for a third of the cost. And more authentic, too!
  • Dining Plans are a waste of money--even if free-- (and resorts are quickly catching up to just not being worth it for what Disney charges).
  • Finding Nemo! I hated it. My whole family hated it.
  • Rope Drop. I'd rather do less and enjoy it than be sleep deprived.
  • Also disliked, princesses every flipping place! UGH!

The Grand Floridian is definitely our biggest let down. Not to say that it was BAD...just not what everyone had said. When we ventured to Disney about 4 years ago with the little siblings after always staying at the Boardwalk or Animal Kingdom, we knew with two little ones we needed to stay we needed to stay on the monorail given the multiple strollers, frequent trips back to the hotel, ect;

At the time my little sister was 2 and all her friends parents just raved about TGF. However, we were kinda late in the game and the rooms we booked for our dates. We ended up staying at the Polynesian and had an absolute blast! I think it helped that the 2 year olds favorite movie was Lilo and Stitch at the time.

We go to Disney about 8-10 times a year (we're passport holders) and so we got really comfortable with the Polynesian and really didn't have any desire to stay anywhere else. Then about a year ago we went with some family friends whose DD only wanted to stay at TGF. The room was okay, the concierge benefits were good, but we definitely missed the kid friendliness of the Polynesian! Walking through the lobby with then 1, 3, and and two 5 year olds we were constantly worried they were being too loud or going to break something haha. To make matters worse (and kind of funnier) my 5 year old sister would cry every time we would pass the Polynesian on the monorail and inform everyone in our monorail that TGF was "just ghetto" and that she just wanted to stay at her "Disney Home!"

Overall there really was nothing particularly "bad" about TGF, just not our cup of tea and definitely not what people had made it out to be.

There are some things that aren't my cup of tea (lines for Dumbo), but what I truly can't stand that others rave about:

• Dole Whips. Disgusting!
  • Crystal Palace is plain AWFUL! The food is meh and service is beyond bad. They make bad look great. In general, I can't really say any of the food at Disney is fantastic in general, just is good for theme-park food. I can get much better food at home for a third of the cost. And more authentic, too!
  • Dining Plans are a waste of money--even if free-- (and resorts are quickly catching up to just not being worth it for what Disney charges).
  • Finding Nemo! I hated it. My whole family hated it.
  • Rope Drop. I'd rather do less and enjoy it than be sleep deprived.
  • Also disliked, princesses every flipping place! UGH!

Totally agree with Crystal Palace! We ate there late one night before leaving on our Disney Cruise the next morning about a year ago and my stepdad and brother both ate shrimp salad on the buffet and spent 3 days on the cruise SO sick. Of course we can't be 100% sure that is what made them sick, but none of us have wanted to risk it since. Not to mention I'm pretty sure they both get queasy every time we pass it haha.

Maybe I'm too old now but I came off of Space Mountain
feeling that I had been in a fight...and lost. I am all for gutting it and updating that ride.

Ok bracing for e flames on this one... I think Jungle Cruise is the corniest thing ever. How people love it is totally lost on me...

For all of you hating on Duffy, I hope that you read his book first. The premise of Duffy if you buy one is to take photographs of him everywhere you visit ( like a travel gnome or Flat Stanley). That is what Mickey did in the book. Minnie made the bear for Mickey, and he took pictures of the bear for her on his voyage.

Oooooohhh I didn't even know there WAS a book! Hahaha thanks for the info! I have to check it out... Might even get one for my kids to take pics with if they like it... I like that idea :)

Illuminations....a few parts of it are exciting but most of it is very boring. I don't understand why people rave about it.

Interactive queues.

Maybe I'm spoiled because I usually travel during slower times of the year and I have an AP, so lines aren't something I wait in anyway, but when I go to an attraction, I don't want to be forced to play a game (Soarin) or try to get around people playing games to get inside. I just want the shortest most direct path from outside attraction to inside attraction - I don't need the extra distractions.

I hear you, but it's so much easier to occupy the kids during long lines when you have something to look at. Like the LM cue- we went during soft opening so our wait was about 40 mins. It was nice to have the kids look at all the stuff and check for hidden mickeys, play the little match game with the crab...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter