• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what others rave about and you just dont get it

Deep breath...I don't get most of the results of BBB. I just think little girls look strange with makeup and hair pulled into a tight, uncomfortable bun. Princess dresses are adorable, but getting totally "dolled up" just seems weird.

Flame suit on.

Almost forgot...50's Prime Time. To be honest, we've never eaten there...we are afraid! I don't think my meek family would be able to enjoy their meal if faced with even the slightest possibility of being force fed or having to stand in the corner. I think my husband would tell someone to *bleep* off and we'd have to leave. Too bad...the decor actually looks like the kitchen his mom used to have! They should have a non-harassment section for weenies like us!!!!

I agree about BBB. The girls just look strange. Straight outta Toddlers and Tiaras. It really creeps me out. Plus, how miserable for the girls!!!

As far as the turkey legs - they gross me out, too. I agree with the slimy, meat dripping and hanging everywhere. I have tried 1 bite and it was like slimy bacon. So gross.

We, OTOH, love Boma (Zebra Domes), Ohana (keep the shrimp coming!), and Illuminations (I could watch it all day, every day...).

And 50's PT - ok food, love the schtick. To each his own.

Geeze what's with all the turkey leg hate? I get everybody has their own tastes and preferences but people are actually offended to see others eating a turkey leg and a few wish they weren't sold at the park? One of you actually gets sick to your stomach watching someone eat them? Really people? Large turkey legs offend your delicate sensibilities that much?

If you see someone eating a turkey leg you could, I don't know, not stare at them and your problem would be solved rather than trying to ban them from the park.

It's a theme park people, not Victoria and Albert's. The main dining experience is a burger and fries not filet mignon and lobster tail. Finger foods are part of the experience. Deal with it.

I agree with all of the BBB sentiments. I don't like Fantasmic as much as everyone else seems to but I still enjoy it. I don't really get Test Track either but I haven't been on the new one, I've only seen videos on YouTube, so maybe that would change my mind. Again, I enjoy Test Track but I don't quite understand why people go crazy for it or why it's as much of a headliner as, say, Mission Space or Splash Mountain or Everest.

1 - Animal Kingdom - I love the attractions, and that they seem to treat the animals with a lot of respect and care, but the theming feels too much like my local zoo (granted, we have a nice zoo). It doesn't have that Disney magic (especially in Dinoland! most of which looks like a town fair!), so I won't go there unless I have the PH option and can go somewhere else late in the day for some "magic." Not sure how they could increase the magic feel, though.

2 - Polynesian resort - awesome location and the grounds are gorgeous, but the rooms are no where near worth the price! I've paid $100 to stay at the WDW Hilton and had a more luxurious experience.

3 - Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania - I just can't get into these.

4 - Tiki Room - I think this one is sustained by nostalgia. I don't remember going to it as a child, so I'm pretty bored by it now. Cute though.

5 - The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - just felt like a bunch of painted cardboard sets. It would be fine if the line wasn't so long.

6 - Mission Space - I still can't believe they got rid of Horizons (my favorite ride) for this one. It made me ill and claustrophobic.

7 - Test track (haven't been on the new one though)

Now if you wanted me to list the things I LOOOVE about Disney, it would be several pages long. I'm actually surprised by those who don't like 50s Prime Time. I had low expectations for the food, but it ended up being really delicious! And I love the stores at Downtown Disney, but I only use them to look up products to buy online for cheaper if I can :) And Fantasmic always blows me away. Love it!
:figment:

BBB. I "get" it, but the tight hair and the ones who try to walk around in their costume shoes all day - they just look so uncomfortable. The makeup is not my cup of tea either. I wish they put the kids in a more natural look.

I also agree with the PP about staying on-site. Packing 4 of us in an overpriced hotel room the size of a closet for over a week doesn't seem "magical" to me.

I'm so grateful that people's "must do" things vary so much. Otherwise, it would be so much harder to do the things you love!

I don't get:

- Shopping all day at DTD. We love the AMC and Earl of Sandwich and Raglan Road is excellent. We're looking forward to visiting Splitsville and love to get treats at the Candy Cauldron, but I don't consider shopping recreational.
- Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex. I can visit them at local malls and compared with Disney attractions, the audioanimatronics look cheap and boring.

As for everything else, I may not be thrilled by it, but I understand why others enjoy it/them.

Soarin

It's a fun attraction but I wouldn't wait over 30 minutes for it.:confused3

Well I might if I just wanted to be inside out of the sun and had a book to read while I waited, but I've passed on it a couple of times when I didn't want to wait for the FP window or the standby line.

It is not so great that I can't skip it and I just don't get the 'gotta ride it' mindset. Maybe the first time, but not after that.

I use to look at the lines of the Earl of Sandwich and not get it. Its just an overpriced sandwich right? That I have to wait inline for? So for years me & DW resisted thinking we don't get it Then one day me & DW said come on then lets see what we are missing.

On this occasion we are totally converted lol. I get it waiting in line with others. So you can be converted you know... :-)

In fact EOS is one of our favourites!

Dole Whips - got one once and I had no idea what the rave was about. It was ok but I don't think I'll feel the need to get another one ever.

POR - it was nice but, meh. I MUCH prefer CBR! :lovestruc

But you raised my eyebrow when you remarked "I just want the shortest most direct path from outside attraction to inside attraction - I don't need the extra distractions."

To me, the "extra distractions" are really the biggest part of the WDW magic. If we didn't have those, we would simply be moving from A to B, ignoring the wonderful sights along the way.:confused3

I'll clarify a bit. I meant the most direct route from the entrance at the outside of the attraction to the load area/show area. For example, I don't need or want an interactive queue at HM. I want to just walk under the canopy, wait a minute or two for the doors to open, and then start the great attraction experience. I don't feel it adds to my WDW experience to have to weave back and forth through the interactive queue. That couple of minutes waiting for the doors to open was always plenty of time to view the tombstones by the door if I got bored.

I very much like the extra details and theming throughout the parks. In fact, sometimes I'll just spend time wandering through the parks soaking it all in. I don't mind the details walking from POC to HM. I just don't want to be slowed down getting into HM when I arrive.

for me :
Peter pan- I don't get the hype
dole whip- I like but to me it's just pineapple soft serve

I usually spend part of day in DTD, I find it's nicer calmer during day.
I personally loved BBB, for me it was chance to feel like a princess, I grew up w clueless mom in makeup dept, and still can't put makeup on to save my life. Yes I could prob go to Spa and get same feeling but there is just something that calls to me about bbb.

I personally like trex cafe and can take or leave rainforest cafe. ( I live in state of none). I guess I look at it this way I can go to Chicago or Detroit for rain forest but only 2 trex in USA.

Pop century Tie Dye Cheesecake
Totally agree. Actually taking a shot of straight food coloring would have been preferable; at least there would have been fewer calories in that.

Zebra Domes... ick
Yep. They are not horrible, but I do not get the hype.

I love watching little girls rock the second and third day of a BBB hairdo. They start to look like tiny demented killer ballerinas, and it's absolutely adorable.
I heart you for this! :rotfl:

Other hyped things I can't understand:

Le Cellier. Seriously, what is so great about this one? And they keep feeding the hype by "upping" the credits and such.

Chef Mickeys. Blech.

Fantasmic. I have seen it many times, and still cannot understand the crowds. It's a dream, I get it, but still it is too disjointed and doesn't satisfy for the time investment you have to make to see it.

HBD's Grapefruit Cake. :crazy2:

Cinderella's Royal Table. This one mystifies me. I guess it gets a little credit for being inside the castle, but still... the food is subpar, the couple of times we've gone in recent years (someone else's idea each time) the service has been bad, and overall it is a waste of resources - both time and money - to me. :confused3

I actually like Dole Whip and Soarin, so those don't make my list.

I love watching little girls rock the second and third day of a BBB hairdo. They start to look like tiny demented killer ballerinas, and it's absolutely adorable.

Okay, not only did I laugh out loud at this, I actually snorted! (This is extra embarrassing because I'm sneaking a few minutes on the DIS on my iPad at work - thank goodness everyone is in a meeting and no one witnessed my inelegant snort!)

"Tiny demented killer ballerinas" - what a hoot!

Turkey Legs for me as well.. they just look gross and people eating them tend to look like cannibals. (They don't sell these in WDW, but I feel the same way about people who pay $6 for a giant pickle and eat that while walking around)
They don't sell turkey legs in the Magic Kingdom?:confused: Now, I may have been in a tryptophan-induced haze, but I thought this picture was taken in the MK, somewhere around the landing to go to Tom Sawyer's Island. That would be me tearing into my very first gorgeous smoked turkey leg. I should note that just prior to that picture being taken, my friend's 14 year old son tried to move in on that bird and I dang near snatched him bald.
It should also be noted that the boy's mom is a serious vegetarian who said she was tempted by the wonderful aroma of the smoked turkey. There was nothing "slimey" or gross about it. Just a man and a turkey leg.:confused3 I can't make the connection between a turkey leg and cannibalism, so you're on your own there.

But honestly, I thought I was in MK when I was chowing
on that bird. Perhaps some of the more experienced Disers can tell mewhere I really am in thispicture:confused:.
TURKEYCHOMP-2_zpsac239639.jpg

They don't sell turkey legs in the Magic Kingdom?:confused: Now, I may have been in a tryptophan-induced haze, but I thought this picture was taken in the MK, somewhere around the landing to go to Tom Sawyer's Island. That would be me tearing into my very first gorgeous smoked turkey leg. I should note that just prior to that picture being taken, my friend's 14 year old son tried to move in on that bird and I dang near snatched him bald.

It should also be noted that the boy's mom is a serious vegetarian who said she was tempted by the wonderful aroma of the smoked turkey. There was nothing "slimey" or gross about it. Just a man and a turkey leg.:confused3 I can't make the connection between a turkey leg and cannibalism, so you're on your own there.

on that bird. Perhaps some of the more experienced Disers can tell mewhere I really am in thispicture:confused:.

I think the previous poster was referring to the giant pickle not being sold at WDW, not the turkey legs.

I think Chuckers meant the pickles, not the turkey legs:goodvibes

Actually, I didn't realize Earl of Sandwich was a chain until recently. I've since seen them at the Chesapeake House on I-95 in Maryland and at PHL airport. Its one of the best values at Downtown Disney.

Anyway, back to the OP question...

Most overrated:

Food: Zebra Domes at Boma. I've tried them a few times; just not my taste. Now I don't bother. (Love Boma for both dinner and breakfast though!)

Attraction: Peter Pan - For the life of me, I don't get the lines it generates. Its OK, but not worth the time (and I've got better things to do with FPs)

Nighttime show: MSEP. Not to say I think its overrated, but I preferred Spectromagic.

"Event": Rope drop. I'm on vacation to, among other things, get away from setting alarms.

I have to agree with Turkey Legs although I wasn't aware a lot of people actually liked them. They smell amazing but don't taste that way...and I like meat!

Non-food I'd say any parade. They're so boring!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter