• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What qualifies for DAS now in adults??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladeb59

Earning My Ears
I have reading all the discussion on the DAS system and it seems like many adults have been turned down for it. Stamina, endurance and mobility aren't a reason for one from what I have read. So what qualifies??? I am a registered nurse and am asking this question out of concern for the many people that have visited WDW with disabilities. WDW has always been a friendly place to go if you have some type of disabilty but now it seems that WDW is making it more difficult for those with disabilities to enjoy it. Just my thought. Any feedback would be welcomed.

There is no condition or diagnosis that "qualifies". You have to explain why you disability prevents you from standing in line. If you condition is stamina or mobility related the default answer is rent a wheelchair or ecv. So you would have to explain why that wouldn't work for you.

A good example of someone who would probably be able to get a DAS is someone with vision problems. Like needs to sit close to the front to see. Something along those lines.

Basically if your issues can be resolved by using a wheelchair or ECV, then you don't qualify for the DAS, which is fine because the CM's can already see that there is a problem when you are using one of these. If you have other issues than you will probably qualify if a reasonable accommodation can be made.

I don't really see this as being an issue, since before if you had a wheelchair or ECV, you didn't need a GAC if that covered your issues, but they would give you one anyways. Now they are just limiting the DAS to those who need accommodations for other reasons.

A good example of someone who would probably be able to get a DAS is someone with vision problems. Like needs to sit close to the front to see. Something along those lines.

Basically if your issues can be resolved by using a wheelchair or ECV, then you don't qualify for the DAS, which is fine because the CM's can already see that there is a problem when you are using one of these. If you have other issues than you will probably qualify if a reasonable accommodation can be made.

I don't really see this as being an issue, since before if you had a wheelchair or ECV, you didn't need a GAC if that covered your issues, but they would give you one anyways. Now they are just limiting the DAS to those who need accommodations for other reasons.

Actually, your example of vision issues is specifically NOT handled by the DAS. Seating requests (for vision) must be communicated to the CM(s) at each attraction. There is generally no specific need to "wait outside the line" if the accommodation is seating-related and not line-related. There may be other concerns for that guest which qualify for a DAS, vision-related or otherwise. But front seating is not a DAS qualifier.

OP...a GAC was never officially required for stamina/endurance/mobility issues at WDW. Many people seemed to feel they needed it, but WDW's official policy was that a wheelchair, ECV or other mobility device was the appropriate accommodation. Most lines at WDW are mainstreamed and accessible to people using such tools, and this is really the only way to be guaranteed a place to sit while in line. The current DAS system now brings this back under control. The DAS is basically a way to "wait outside the line" for people who have hidden or invisible disabilities that affect their ability to be in a line.

As a PP indicated, there are no "diagnoses" that automatically qualify. A person has to explain his/her "needs" as related to waiting in a line. Adults are receiving DAS, but they must have needs other than stamina/endurance/mobility as a mobility device can be the accommodation for this.

I have explained it to people like this. Now, everyone waits. The question is, where? Most people with problems waiting, CAN wait IN the line, using a wheelchair or ECV. Few would qualify for the DAS, but of course, some people do.

I have a son with many conditions, but I am not sure if he will be eligible for a DAS (next trip is to DL in February).

Anyone regardless of age can qualify for a DAS based on needs in the lines. Things which are handled once in an attraction, such as vision or hearing issues, are handled at the attraction itself.

The DAS is for issues not met by the use of a mobility device (Disney mentions wheelchairs and scooters because those are available at the parks, but rollators, walkers, canes are also mobility devices and visual cues you need an accessible waiting experience). For example, I have a whole list of medical difficulties that is not alleviated by my wheelchair (and I have my own custom full time manual). Dangerous things can happen in queues, like my passing out and falling right out of my wheelchair. Some queues are fine, but some are literally impossible for me to navigate safely.

If a patient of yours has a condition that can be helped by the use of a mobility device, even if that means pushing the wheelchair empty sometimes, and sitting when needed (not sitting all day), then they should do so. If there are invisible conditions (ASD, heart problems, mental health issues, etc) that can make it dangerous, unsafe, or impossible to wait in the standard queue, they should ask about the DAS.

Anyone regardless of age can qualify for a DAS based on needs in the lines. Things which are handled once in an attraction, such as vision or hearing issues, are handled at the attraction itself.

The DAS is for issues not met by the use of a mobility device (Disney mentions wheelchairs and scooters because those are available at the parks, but rollators, walkers, canes are also mobility devices and visual cues you need an accessible waiting experience). For example, I have a whole list of medical difficulties that is not alleviated by my wheelchair (and I have my own custom full time manual). Dangerous things can happen in queues, like my passing out and falling right out of my wheelchair. Some queues are fine, but some are literally impossible for me to navigate safely.

If a patient of yours has a condition that can be helped by the use of a mobility device, even if that means pushing the wheelchair empty sometimes, and sitting when needed (not sitting all day), then they should do so. If there are invisible conditions (ASD, heart problems, mental health issues, etc) that can make it dangerous, unsafe, or impossible to wait in the standard queue, they should ask about the DAS.

I sure like this explanation...so easy to understand. Thanks. :)

I have explained it to people like this. Now, everyone waits. The question is, where? Most people with problems waiting, CAN wait IN the line, using a wheelchair or ECV. Few would qualify for the DAS, but of course, some people do.

I have a son with many conditions, but I am not sure if he will be eligible for a DAS (next trip is to DL in February).

I don't really understand this because when we went 2 years ago we were not allowed to enter the regular lines with my Aunt's ECV. We were directed to the alternate entrance. And it would seem to me that it is dangerous to allow ECV's in the regular lines because it can be difficult to navigate and someone could run other people over. In our case, this was the first time my aunt had used an ECV (she has foot and knee problems), so she wasn't extremely proficient in navigating tight turns.
Our 5 year old son requires a push chair (bigger stroller) due to cardiac endurance problems and we got the old GAC just to allow us to keep him in the stroller until we got up to the line. We, too, were not allowed in the regular lines. We were directed to the alternate entrance under the old system. Only in the haunted house did they direct us into the regular line. And then we were almost run over inside.
So, I would be interested to find out if something has changed and they are now directing wheelchairs and ECV's through the regular lines?

I don't really understand this because when we went 2 years ago we were not allowed to enter the regular lines with my Aunt's ECV. We were directed to the alternate entrance. And it would seem to me that it is dangerous to allow ECV's in the regular lines because it can be difficult to navigate and someone could run other people over. In our case, this was the first time my aunt had used an ECV (she has foot and knee problems), so she wasn't extremely proficient in navigating tight turns. Our 5 year old son requires a push chair (bigger stroller) due to cardiac endurance problems and we got the old GAC just to allow us to keep him in the stroller until we got up to the line. We, too, were not allowed in the regular lines. We were directed to the alternate entrance under the old system. Only in the haunted house did they direct us into the regular line. And then we were almost run over inside. So, I would be interested to find out if something has changed and they are now directing wheelchairs and ECV's through the regular lines?
Disneyland or Disney world.

I don't really understand this because when we went 2 years ago we were not allowed to enter the regular lines with my Aunt's ECV. We were directed to the alternate entrance. And it would seem to me that it is dangerous to allow ECV's in the regular lines because it can be difficult to navigate and someone could run other people over. In our case, this was the first time my aunt had used an ECV (she has foot and knee problems), so she wasn't extremely proficient in navigating tight turns.
Our 5 year old son requires a push chair (bigger stroller) due to cardiac endurance problems and we got the old GAC just to allow us to keep him in the stroller until we got up to the line. We, too, were not allowed in the regular lines. We were directed to the alternate entrance under the old system. Only in the haunted house did they direct us into the regular line. And then we were almost run over inside.
So, I would be interested to find out if something has changed and they are now directing wheelchairs and ECV's through the regular lines?

In Disneyland, most queues are not accessible, so you would be directed through an alternate entrance.

In DCA all queues are accessible, so you would go through the regular lines at all attractions with both the ECV and stroller-as-wheelchair.

In WDW, almost all queues are accessible now, so you would be directed into the regular queue pretty much everywhere. There are some that are not accessible, so you would be directed in an alternate entrance in those cases. Mostly this would happen in MK, which is an older park.

You can still get a stroller-as-wheelchair tag - a card is no longer required for these.

My friend and I went to Epcot last week and she was able to get a DAS because she has cancer and is taking chemo. The guest relations cast member was very nice. I wonder if there is a guideline to follow or if it is up to the individual cast member to make the decision on who can get the DAS. We only used it for Spaceship Earth, which was a 10 minute wait for us, and Soarin, which was a 70 minute wait for us. We ate at The Land while we waited so that we would not have to walk too much.

My friend and I went to Epcot last week and she was able to get a DAS because she has cancer and is taking chemo. The guest relations cast member was very nice. I wonder if there is a guideline to follow or if it is up to the individual cast member to make the decision on who can get the DAS. We only used it for Spaceship Earth, which was a 10 minute wait for us, and Soarin, which was a 70 minute wait for us. We ate at The Land while we waited so that we would not have to walk too much.

It depends on what her individual needs were. She didn't get a DAS because "she has cancer and is taking chemo", she got a DAS because she had some need that the DAS met.

It depends on what her individual needs were. She didn't get a DAS because "she has cancer and is taking chemo", she got a DAS because she had some need that the DAS met.
::yes::

DAS cards are given for needs related to a disability that affect waiting in lines.
People with the same diagnosis/conditions might have very different needs.
One might need a DAS and the other might go very well without one.

Until the dust settles in I think I would try a different guest services CM and/ or a different park if you are refused a DAS. I would go as far as talking to a supervisor. This is not to say that you will get one if you are refused the first time, but I think I would try twice before giving up if you feel you need it.

I mention this often, but having a DAS or not having one, does not change a persons rights if they qualify under ADA. It is just a communication tool that makes the process more efficient and a little less public.

Even if you are not given a DAS or did not realize you would need one on entry, you till can ask for accommodation at the attraction if you qualify under ADA, if you cannot gain equal access to an attraction. Disney is still required to provide reasonable accommodation, it just takes more effort on everyone's part.

It is also interesting that it appear that just refusing to give a DAS to the qualified individual is not a violation of ADA, it only becomes a violation of ADA if/when a person is denied accommodation needed for equal access.

I guess my main point is do become overly concerned until you have been denied accommodations, even if you do not get a DAS. If it does happen, politely go up through the chain of command until you are told there is no one else to talk to, then have the regional OCR office # programmed into your phone to call.

Equal accommodation equals waiting the same amount of time to ride the attraction as the people waiting in the standby line. That is accommodated by a wheelchair/ECV or DAS. If you are denied the DAS and told to rent a wheelchair and you refuse, then you have been provided accommodation and refused. Disney has no other responsibility. There may be a few conditions related to hearing, vision, etc that can be met at the attraction but most are met by the system in place.

If there are multiple available accommodations Disney can not mandate which one you will use.

There are not multiple accommodations. There is the wheelchair/ECV for all mobility issues and the DAS for anything else that prevents you from being able to stand in the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter