What qualifies for DAS?

The size limit for strollers is 31” wide x 52” long. All strollers must be folded on the buses and some boats. I forget if the Skyliner makes you fold it, maybe for doubles.
Fortunately our double stroller is only 30 inches wide. We've already used it at Disney with no problems. I just didn't know about the stroller as a wheelchair option then. (And the last time we were there fastpass was in use, and I was great at getting fast passes all day long, so we never waited in long lines.) So I'm not sure how it would fit in lines. It does fit through doorways.

Even if the stroller has a wheelchair tag?
I'm not sure if you are questioning the size limit or the need to fold on transportation. The stroller size limit is listed as 31" x 52" while a single-rider mobility device is limited to 36" x 52." I'm honestly not sure if a larger double-stroller would be allowed for the SAW tag because it doesn't qualify as single-rider. Most double strollers are within the stroller limit even though some look humongous.

The stroller-as-wheelchair tag does not extend to transportation. The vast majority of strollers -- even many special needs strollers -- are not designed to be tied down as required on bus transportation. The frame is not sturdy enough and could be damaged or even collapse. Some of the smaller boats for the MK area resorts are simply not accessible so strollers or wheelchairs must be folded.

So I'm not sure how it would fit in lines. It does fit through doorways.
You'll be fine.

Does anyone know what happens to the stroller when you get to the ride itself? Does a cast member move it to the exit?
It gets handled the same as wheelchairs.
For some attractions, boarding is at the same place or just down a little from the unload point. For those, it will be in the same place you left it when you got on.

If loading and unloading are in different places, CMs will move it to the unload area

I also wanted to give some support and let you know that kids not handling a line is totally normal for toddlers. Many toddlers can not tolerate the waits, we just sometimes need to be creative with our distractions. I didn't want you to feel that you are alone in your toddler struggles. My youngest cried when we were in line for Dumbo, as soon as we got on it, she loved it. And then started crying again because she didn't want to get off. LOL But I would be pretty concerned about the amount of screen time a child that age is exposed to. That alone can change their behavior.
I believe the OP stated her child is 5 years old. Most five year olds are not going to enjoy waiting in lines unless there is some communication going on that engages the 5 year old. Disney lines, while they may be long, tend to have some amusing sections, etc. We found that our sensory seeking daughter, at age 5, could handle the longer lines as long as we engaged in some conversations that included her level of interest in things. We also figured out on that trip that we were not going to do everything, all day, etc. Swims in the resort pool were one of her favorite activities.

I believe the OP stated her child is 5 years old. Most five year olds are not going to enjoy waiting in lines unless there is some communication going on that engages the 5 year old. Disney lines, while they may be long, tend to have some amusing sections, etc. We found that our sensory seeking daughter, at age 5, could handle the longer lines as long as we engaged in some conversations that included her level of interest in things. We also figured out on that trip that we were not going to do everything, all day, etc. Swims in the resort pool were one of her favorite activities.
I saw that. I consider a 5 year old to still be young. And I think that we are agreeing that small children can not wait in line patiently, regardless of their mental or emotional abilities, especially without distractions.

I feel like people think I'm ignorant for thinking there is something wrong with my 5 year old simply because he has trouble waiting in lines. I want to clarify that I used to be a preschool teacher and do have lots of experience with young children, and I feel like my son has less patience than normal. He struggles with using his imagination. For example, he won't play with toys unless someone plays with him, or if I give him a play schedule that ends in screen time. (Ex. Look at books, do a puzzle, play with Paw Patrol toys, draw a picture, than screen time.) He hates all that stuff but will do it if there is a screen reward at the end. I know waiting is hard for all kids, but it is especially hard for him since he doesn't have much ability to use his imagination. Or he doesn't want to. Fortunately he goes to a great school that works well for him, and I work and play with him at home on things he needs extra practice on. I'm just nervous that he's going to have a lot of trouble in long lines at Disney. I hope the genie plus works well for us.

I feel like people think I'm ignorant for thinking there is something wrong with my 5 year old simply because he has trouble waiting in lines. I want to clarify that I used to be a preschool teacher and do have lots of experience with young children, and I feel like my son has less patience than normal. He struggles with using his imagination. For example, he won't play with toys unless someone plays with him, or if I give him a play schedule that ends in screen time. (Ex. Look at books, do a puzzle, play with Paw Patrol toys, draw a picture, than screen time.) He hates all that stuff but will do it if there is a screen reward at the end. I know waiting is hard for all kids, but it is especially hard for him since he doesn't have much ability to use his imagination. Or he doesn't want to. Fortunately he goes to a great school that works well for him, and I work and play with him at home on things he needs extra practice on. I'm just nervous that he's going to have a lot of trouble in long lines at Disney. I hope the genie plus works well for us.
I understood what you mean. I was just wanting to let you know that you are not alone. It is a struggle to keep kids entertained in these situations. They are away from their usual go to comfort areas. You can try to describe his issues to guest services and they might give you a DAS. I think that it would have to be more then saying that he has trouble waiting in lines because that does sound as if that is something that most young struggle with, even though your child has it worse. I am curious as to what your son does if you don't play with him or give him screen time, what does he end up doing?

You mention a double stroller. So you have other children? Does he play with them?

I understood what you mean. I was just wanting to let you know that you are not alone. It is a struggle to keep kids entertained in these situations. They are away from their usual go to comfort areas. You can try to describe his issues to guest services and they might give you a DAS. I think that it would have to be more then saying that he has trouble waiting in lines because that does sound as if that is something that most young struggle with, even though your child has it worse. I am curious as to what your son does if you don't play with him or give him screen time, what does he end up doing?
Thank you.

If no one plays with him he searches the house for screens and usually finds them. If I put them up above out of his reach he waits until I'm unavailable (in the bathroom, cleaning, etc.) and asks his 7 year old sister to climb up and get them, and she does. If he really can't access any of them he will hang on me and whine/complain/force me to cuddle with him until I'm so annoyed that I can't get my jobs done (cleaning, cooking, etc.) that I will give him a screen to get him to leave me alone. Or if my jobs aren't so important at the moment I will offer to play with him, but he says he doesn't like playing with me, and everything is boring. And he just whines and complains non stop. He will only play well with his sister, but she usually wants nothing to do with him because all he talks about is video games. And I've had him evaluated several times by EI and then the local school systems, and he is never given a diagnosis or qualifies for any services, so nothing changes.
You mention a double stroller. So you have other children? Does he play with them?

Thank you.

If no one plays with him he searches the house for screens and usually finds them. If I put them up above out of his reach he waits until I'm unavailable (in the bathroom, cleaning, etc.) and asks his 7 year old sister to climb up and get them, and she does. If he really can't access any of them he will hang on me and whine/complain/force me to cuddle with him until I'm so annoyed that I can't get my jobs done (cleaning, cooking, etc.) that I will give him a screen to get him to leave me alone. Or if my jobs aren't so important at the moment I will offer to play with him, but he says he doesn't like playing with me, and everything is boring. And he just whines and complains non stop. He will only play well with his sister, but she usually wants nothing to do with him because all he talks about is video games. And I've had him evaluated several times by EI and then the local school systems, and he is never given a diagnosis or qualifies for any services, so nothing changes.
Kids are so challenging at times and can drain a parent mentally. Take my advise for what it is, someone just going off of what you say, but I would get rid of the electronics for a couple of months at least, lock them up if you have to. Kids, even ones that are that young, can get addicted to video games and screen time. Remember, you are the adult and your child can't make you do anything that you don't want to. He is old enough to find something to entertain himself. This very much sounds like a battle of wills with him winning. Some kids are just extremely stubborn and good at wearing you down. When he starts whining, send him to his room, he can come out when he stops whining. It won't be easy, but giving in even once will give them the impression that it will work and they will keep doing what they know will work. It is extremely hard to do, but I always kept the mantra of "no means no, every single time". :grouphug:

Thank you.

You may already know this, But I want to make sure you're aware that EI and school districts cannot make a diagnosis. They will evaluate and determine whether your child is far enough behind that they feel it's necessary to help, But the older your child is the harder it can be to make that argument. They also have a system where you have to be a certain percentage behind based on their stats, so sometimes a child might qualify for help in one district and not in another. For example, I saw in a first grade classroom a child who could not make a single legible letter- But the line at which this child would qualify for occupational therapy was drawn whether they could hold a pencil at all. He could hold a pencil, so he was "fine."
The whole thing can actually get messy because while on one hand it becomes extremely difficult to qualify, there are circumstances where a child qualifies based on diagnosis alone. I know that there are programs local to me where children are accepted if they are autistic but I have seen children with greater need who do not qualify for that same help based on their level of need. Another great example is that my partially deaf son did not qualify for any sort of therapy for his lack of balance- But once they know that he does not have half of his vestibular aqueducts suddenly he can get therapy for that.
For this reason I would be pushing through the medical establishment if you truly believe there is a need for a diagnosis and therapies. If you are right, It may not only open doors for you but also give you a place to go for support when you find other families dealing with similar issues. At that point you may also be looking into private therapies.

Obviously you know your child better than I or anyone else here, If the bulk of your problem seems to be this obsessive behavior, He might be old enough to be looking into something like a psychologist to help you both find ways to cope his with behavior. I would not trust the schools to manage that sort of therapy.

Thank you.

He's learned that he gets what he wants by being annoying - he's pretty smart! Can you enroll him in some activities that would get him with his peers more often and away from any devices? (And set some parental locks on the devices in your home so your daughter doesn't have to deal with the stress of disobeying you to get her brother to leave her alone)

He's learned that he gets what he wants by being annoying - he's pretty smart! Can you enroll him in some activities that would get him with his peers more often and away from any devices? (And set some parental locks on the devices in your home so your daughter doesn't have to deal with the stress of disobeying you to get her brother to leave her alone)

I don't know how she does it, but on my grandkids kindles my DD give them X amount of hours and then the tablet shuts off game and video . It will say something like "that's it for today" It's still open for reading books.

Something else just dawned on me , OP said if she hides the screens , he will hunt all over the house until he finds them. Sounds like those muscles are working ok then. But I have the same issues. I don't like walking around the block. But walking to the safari ride is ok. I've said if I could go to disney for a month, I'd be in great shape.

Last edited:
You may already know this, But I want to make sure you're aware that EI and school districts cannot make a diagnosis. They will evaluate and determine whether your child is far enough behind that they feel it's necessary to help, But the older your child is the harder it can be to make that argument. They also have a system where you have to be a certain percentage behind based on their stats, so sometimes a child might qualify for help in one district and not in another. For example, I saw in a first grade classroom a child who could not make a single legible letter- But the line at which this child would qualify for occupational therapy was drawn whether they could hold a pencil at all. He could hold a pencil, so he was "fine."
The whole thing can actually get messy because while on one hand it becomes extremely difficult to qualify, there are circumstances where a child qualifies based on diagnosis alone. I know that there are programs local to me where children are accepted if they are autistic but I have seen children with greater need who do not qualify for that same help based on their level of need. Another great example is that my partially deaf son did not qualify for any sort of therapy for his lack of balance- But once they know that he does not have half of his vestibular aqueducts suddenly he can get therapy for that.
For this reason I would be pushing through the medical establishment if you truly believe there is a need for a diagnosis and therapies. If you are right, It may not only open doors for you but also give you a place to go for support when you find other families dealing with similar issues. At that point you may also be looking into private therapies.

Obviously you know your child better than I or anyone else here, If the bulk of your problem seems to be this obsessive behavior, He might be old enough to be looking into something like a psychologist to help you both find ways to cope his with behavior. I would not trust the schools to manage that sort of therapy.

When my DS was in second grade 30 years ago, he had issues with reading. Sounding out words, etc. But he only had issues with 2 blends, that they tested on. He needed help with three or more. His teacher went to bat for him. He got the help he needed.

When my DS was in second grade 30 years ago, he had issues with reading. Sounding out words, etc. But he only had issues with 2 blends, that they tested on. He needed help with three or more. His teacher went to bat for him. He got the help he needed.
That's great, and there are certainly districts where things like that work out. Unfortunately right now in many districts they are so bogged down by red tape there isn't room for special circumstances like this anymore. We had a teacher get in trouble or letting our child get help. The hoops left us and thousands of other families homeschooling.

In all the posts I came away feeling like some of his issues are very typical of many his age which might be why all the professionals are not referring him for help.

But what I also read with comments like "everything is boring" "no imagination" "does well on tests" "only interested in video games (at 5)" "wants screens to interact with" ........... could it be that he needs to be tested for his IQ and cognitive levels. He sounds pretty smart to me too, perhaps very smart and in that case most of typical things for a 5 year old would not stimulate him. Does well in testing, smart kids love tests. Video games are challenging and push him. May not be lack of attention span but rather he is simply so bored he wants to move on to something more stimulating. I personally would look at an independent test service to find out where he is and perhaps he does need additional challenges at school and home. Instead of fighting him on the screen time perhaps channel it to specific types of learning programs. Agree to X number of hours on the computer each day IF he is working on academic kind of fun that will stimulate him. That earns video game time. I'll add I know several very bright kids and they hate physical activity - they prefer brain activity - and they are not very coordinated or have very toned bodies. So I would also continue the physical stuff but make it more family activity so he doesn't see it as some kind of punishment. My DS hates physical as well but he'll put in miles at Disney if he is having a good day, or walk a few hours at the zoo to see the animals. He doesn't realize because he's having fun. The chewing part could also be triggered by frustration, boredom and trying to relax himself. I hate to see kids who do that being tagged with a label, it is not uncommon and often is outgrown.

If I were OP I would get the stroller of a wheelchair tag to give him his own space then deck the space out with items that he enjoys, perhaps a small backpack where he has his choice of things. Give him input on what he will take, and what he will enjoy while he waits. Not having things to stimulate him are an issue everywhere not just lines. Disney isn't a good place to have battles.

I do not think you're ignorant. But, you may not get very much cooperation from DAS with a 5 year old who "has a hard time in lines." Unfortunately, they will not be following you around all day to notice that the frequency of meltdowns is more than the average 5 year old.

The DAS system isn't perfect. In our case, my nephew has close to zero interest in rides, which will likely result in an adult spending most of the time back at the hotel with him. He may ride one or two things, then ask to go back to the car. His brother, on the other hand, will patiently wait in any line, even the excessive ones, and will ignore everything else (including food) in order to ride that ride. Maybe their two parents could split up, and one could not wait in lines with one child and wait for 3 hours repeatedly with the other....except they have a 3rd child, who is neurotypical.
DAS is not necessarily set up to accommodate their situation. However, I have reason to believe that they will be given DAS passes. All they can do is explain their situation to the person responsible for issuing their pass, and go from there. The DAS passes will simply offer them some accommodations, they'll have to arrange others on their own.

I recommend you do the same thing. Set up a virtual meeting in advance, and do your best to explain why your child needs to be able to wait in a different environment. Then at least you'll know if you need to try a little harder to accommodate him on your own. I would still plan on the stroller and apply for the stroller as a wheelchair pass. I would also bring devices with charging sticks, so you can give him his preferred activity as much as possible.

In all the posts I came away feeling like some of his issues are very typical of many his age which might be why all the professionals are not referring him for help.

But what I also read with comments like "everything is boring" "no imagination" "does well on tests" "only interested in video games (at 5)" "wants screens to interact with" ........... could it be that he needs to be tested for his IQ and cognitive levels. He sounds pretty smart to me too, perhaps very smart and in that case most of typical things for a 5 year old would not stimulate him. Does well in testing, smart kids love tests. Video games are challenging and push him. May not be lack of attention span but rather he is simply so bored he wants to move on to something more stimulating. I personally would look at an independent test service to find out where he is and perhaps he does need additional challenges at school and home. Instead of fighting him on the screen time perhaps channel it to specific types of learning programs. Agree to X number of hours on the computer each day IF he is working on academic kind of fun that will stimulate him. That earns video game time. I'll add I know several very bright kids and they hate physical activity - they prefer brain activity - and they are not very coordinated or have very toned bodies. So I would also continue the physical stuff but make it more family activity so he doesn't see it as some kind of punishment. My DS hates physical as well but he'll put in miles at Disney if he is having a good day, or walk a few hours at the zoo to see the animals. He doesn't realize because he's having fun. The chewing part could also be triggered by frustration, boredom and trying to relax himself. I hate to see kids who do that being tagged with a label, it is not uncommon and often is outgrown.

If I were OP I would get the stroller of a wheelchair tag to give him his own space then deck the space out with items that he enjoys, perhaps a small backpack where he has his choice of things. Give him input on what he will take, and what he will enjoy while he waits. Not having things to stimulate him are an issue everywhere not just lines. Disney isn't a good place to have battles.
You have a lot of insightful ideas. He is actually very smart. He's excellent at solving adult puzzle games on the computer. Just now my 7 year old (who is also smart) was working on her math homework, and she got frustrated when her 5 year old brother was solving the problems before she could. Maybe he is bored with regular 5 year old activities.

His behavior has been especially terrible lately (we're in 10 day covid quarantine stuck at home), and he was a monster yesterday when my mom took away the computer for a while (she was watching him while I was working). So I said we are having a break from screens for the rest of the week and put them as high up as I could, and my daughter hasn't thought to take them down. And so far it's been going pretty well. My son discovered he enjoys playing in the woods behind our house.

You have a lot of insightful ideas. He is actually very smart. He's excellent at solving adult puzzle games on the computer. Just now my 7 year old (who is also smart) was working on her math homework, and she got frustrated when her 5 year old brother was solving the problems before she could. Maybe he is bored with regular 5 year old activities.

His behavior has been especially terrible lately (we're in 10 day covid quarantine stuck at home), and he was a monster yesterday when my mom took away the computer for a while (she was watching him while I was working). So I said we are having a break from screens for the rest of the week and put them as high up as I could, and my daughter hasn't thought to take them down. And so far it's been going pretty well. My son discovered he enjoys playing in the woods behind our house.
So much you describe - he sounds like a very smart little guy! Glad he's having fun outside in nature - I think the whole "lock down" thing had so many of us craving the outdoors even if to just plant a garden, or wander freely. So if you are in another quarantine - the outdoors is such a stress reliever. Hopefully he finds it fascinating and continues to explore. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter