What resale resort to purchase

AbbyJ47905

Earning My Ears
Hello. I have kind of a convoluted question. My sister and I own a 350 point Boardwalk contract that my parents gifted to us a few years ago. They purchased the points directly from Disney. I'm looking at purchasing a resale contract just for my immediate family (I'm married with four teenage and adult children). I'm undecided as to what to purchase. I'd like something that would allow my husband and I to take future grandchildren to WDW as well as to eventually gift to our children, as my parents did for my sister and me. The three I have narrowed down to are Copper Creek, Polynesian or Aulani. I guess I have two questions. One thing I'm wondering is if it would be worth it to purchase more points through an Aulani contract and use them at WDW, booking at the 7 month window. Or, purchasing much fewer points at one of the others to be able to book at the 11 month window. I was recently able to stay in one of the Bora Bora Bungalows and loved it, although there is no way that I could afford to stay there for an entire week at any time of year. I have to say that I will always stay in probably a one or two bedroom unit. And I know the Polynesian 1-2 bedroom units aren't available until the tower opens. I would also say that I'm likely going to be visiting for the most part in the more off season times but I would like just once to be able to stay at Copper Creek during the holidays (bucket list). Any thoughts on what I would be better off with? Plus, my other question is this....my current contract has an August use year, and I'm wondering if I purchase a resale if it makes any difference whether I stay with August or not. There may be times when I would want to use both contacts, along with my sister. I'd really appreciate any advice!

First, if the new contract is titled differently from the original (just for your family) then the UY doesn’t matter because it will be considered a new membership anyway. In other words, the points aren’t combinable across reservations unless you transfer them.

As far as where to stay goes, using Aulani for SAP is risky in that you don’t know what will be available at the 7m mark and you don’t have a backup in place (how some people use Saratoga, Old Key West, or Animal Kingdom points).

Copper is beautiful, but I firmly believe that you should stay somewhere before you commit to buying there. For Poly until we know for sure - from Disney - that it is the same association I don’t know if buying Poly 1 resale ONLY to be able to stay in the Tower is the best plan. If you were happy forever staying in the Poly 1 studios and only saw the Tower as a bonus that would be another story, but there is still too much ambiguity (“our plan right now,” what is going on with the Trust, etc) to commit so much money to something you are uncertain about.

Out of curiosity why have you eliminated the traditional SAP resorts?

Hello. I have kind of a convoluted question. My sister and I own a 350 point Boardwalk contract that my parents gifted to us a few years ago. They purchased the points directly from Disney. I'm looking at purchasing a resale contract just for my immediate family (I'm married with four teenage and adult children). I'm undecided as to what to purchase. I'd like something that would allow my husband and I to take future grandchildren to WDW as well as to eventually gift to our children, as my parents did for my sister and me. The three I have narrowed down to are Copper Creek, Polynesian or Aulani. I guess I have two questions. One thing I'm wondering is if it would be worth it to purchase more points through an Aulani contract and use them at WDW, booking at the 7 month window. Or, purchasing much fewer points at one of the others to be able to book at the 11 month window. I was recently able to stay in one of the Bora Bora Bungalows and loved it, although there is no way that I could afford to stay there for an entire week at any time of year. I have to say that I will always stay in probably a one or two bedroom unit. And I know the Polynesian 1-2 bedroom units aren't available until the tower opens. I would also say that I'm likely going to be visiting for the most part in the more off season times but I would like just once to be able to stay at Copper Creek during the holidays (bucket list). Any thoughts on what I would be better off with? Plus, my other question is this....my current contract has an August use year, and I'm wondering if I purchase a resale if it makes any difference whether I stay with August or not. There may be times when I would want to use both contacts, along with my sister. I'd really appreciate any advice!

Get ready for multiple opinions on this one!

Here is mine...

Regarding the UY question, I would recommend sticking with an August UY since you plan to use both contracts together. It will be easier for you. Me personally, we have multiple UYs but its because we vacation multiple times a year and want our UYs to support travel at certain times of the year.

If you are considering Poly, I would suggest waiting until DVC announces the new Poly tower sales. If your BWV points are not restricted (gifted prior to 2019) then this will allow all of your points to remain unrestricted. CCV is another great option and there are some really great deals out there right now. We love CCV and own there. It's a fabulous resort with a pretty good point chart.

I would recommend against Aulani. As they say "Buy where you want to stay". Using AUL for Florida resorts can work. Many people do it, but it does come with some risk of not getting a resort you like at the 7 month mark. When buying AUL, also factor in the HARPTA tax you will have to pay on the sale if you are not a hawaiin resident.

To sum it up... My vote is for Poly2 with CCV as a fall back plan if you can't wait or if you find the Poly2 price to be too much.

Good luck with your purchase!

First, if the new contract is titled differently from the original (just for your family) then the UY doesn’t matter because it will be considered a new membership anyway. In other words, the points aren’t combinable across reservations unless you transfer them.

As far as where to stay goes, using Aulani for SAP is risky in that you don’t know what will be available at the 7m mark and you don’t have a backup in place (how some people use Saratoga, Old Key West, or Animal Kingdom points).

Copper is beautiful, but I firmly believe that you should stay somewhere before you commit to buying there. For Poly until we know for sure - from Disney - that it is the same association I don’t know if buying Poly 1 resale ONLY to be able to stay in the Tower is the best plan. If you were happy forever staying in the Poly 1 studios and only saw the Tower as a bonus that would be another story, but there is still too much ambiguity (“our plan right now,” what is going on with the Trust, etc) to commit so much money to something you are uncertain about.

This is a great point that I forgot to catch! However keeping both as August UYs will allow for easier tracking if you choose to transfer points between the two contracts.

Hi! Thanks for the reply! That was my concern with Aulani. I just wanted to make sure that wouldn't be missing out in buying a much larger contract for less and regretting that decision. I do love Wilderness Lodge. I have stayed at Boulder Ridge before, as well as in the main building as a young child, and I love the feel of the whole resort.

I was trying to find a place that would have a longer contract so eventually I could gift it to my children, so that eliminated the 2042 contracts right off the bat. I love the idea of being in one of the MK resorts, and I'm not crazy about the vibe of either Bay Lake or Grand Floridian. I thought that they had announced that Poly would be part of the old association, but if I'm mistaken that definitely changes my outlook on purchasing a Poly contract. I do also love the Polynesian as well.

I definitely had been leaning toward Copper Creek. Thanks so much for your insight. Truly appreciate your perspective!

Here is mine...

Regarding the UY question, I would recommend sticking with an August UY since you plan to use both contracts together. It will be easier for you. Me personally, we have multiple UYs but its because we vacation multiple times a year and want our UYs to support travel at certain times of the year.

If you are considering Poly, I would suggest waiting until DVC announces the new Poly tower sales. If your BWV points are not restricted (gifted prior to 2019) then this will allow all of your points to remain unrestricted. CCV is another great option and there are some really great deals out there right now. We love CCV and own there. It's a fabulous resort with a pretty good point chart.

I would recommend against Aulani. As they say "Buy where you want to stay". Using AUL for Florida resorts can work. Many people do it, but it does come with some risk of not getting a resort you like at the 7 month mark. When buying AUL, also factor in the HARPTA tax you will have to pay on the sale if you are not a hawaiin resident.

To sum it up... My vote is for Poly2 with CCV as a fall back plan if you can't wait or if you find the Poly2 price to be too much.

I think waiting for Poly2 and knowing the pre-sale pricing, new point charts, association details , etc would be good to do before going resale if you really want 1BD/2BD.

Also, annual passes, food/merch discounts, and access to BW/BC post 2042 have value.

I would think you would want to pass down unrestricted points with member benefits to your children just like you received from your parents at the right price.

Here is mine...

Excellent points. Thanks so much for your information and insight. I can definitely wait to purchase. Definitely not in any hurry. Just trying to get as much information as possible before taking the plunge! Thanks again!

I think waiting for Poly2 and knowing the pre-sale pricing, new point charts, association details , etc would be good to do before going resale if you really want 1BD/2BD.

Also, annual passes, food/merch discounts, and access to BW/BC post 2042 have value.

I would think you would want to pass down unrestricted points with member benefits to your children just like you received from your parents at the right price.
Valid point about the member benefits. I was trying to get as many points as possible as we have so many kids. My sister and I tend to use our points every other year and are generally able to get two 2bedrooms for a week if we bank and borrow. That's plenty of beds for both of our families at this point as well as being able to take our dad along as well. I'm just not sure that I'll be able to afford more than $200 a point for the size contract that I might want to purchase. But the point is definitely valid regarding member benefits.

I will be honest, and I hope I’m not overreaching, but reading between the lines in your post, it sounds like what you really want is Polynesian.

So I would suggest that you follow your heart and buy that.

When would you be visiting? You say you’ll go during more ‘off season times’ but off season for the parks doesn’t necessarily line up with off season for DVC availability & w/out knowing when you want to go no one can really advise you on 7 month availability at DVC. I will note that those times of year when it costs fewer points tend to be the most popular w/ DVC owners.
W/ your family at present you are looking at 2 br.s, no 1 br.s sleep 6 adults. So the factors I would consider are:
1) Point charts: I looked at 6 nights/7 days for the first week of Dec.
Poly 2 br.s, unknown at present - we can assume they’ll be in the neighborhood of Riv/VGF so 298 - 392, Poly bungalow 812
CCV 2 br.s 257, cabin 636, 3 br. 677
Aulani 2 br. 295 - 365, 3 br. 596 - 767
2) end date:
Poly 2066
CCV 2068
Aulani 2062
3) maintenance fees:
Poly $8.23
CCV $8.09
Aulani $9.76/$7.34 (subsidized)
If you opt to wait until Poly 2 goes on sale sometime this year, there’ll likely be incentives for existing members that’ll save a couple of dollars per point & if they’re still offering magical beginnings that’ll shave another $20 per point off which might get you below your $200 per point threshold.
CCV resale listings at present range from $133 - $185 per point.

I didn’t interpret OP as looking at direct contracts, maybe I’m misinterpreting?

CCV are essentially unbookable at 7 months (you might be able to pick up a day) during the holiday period, even for the larger units. You won’t be able to stay there without home resort priority. So If it’s a one off desire, rent points. If it’s a recurring desire, you’ll need the home resort priority.

I think CCV are currently the most economical points in the portfolio. Both from length of contract and maintenance fees. There has been a really big shift in their pricing. Moderate sized contracts should be very easy to obtain in the 130’s or even 120’s now. Versus 170’s 18 months ago, Disney was actively rofring 160’s and even went as high as 178. On top of that the points chart will assuredly be more economical than Poly 2, especially with your desire to stay in bigger units, it can be meaningful.

Now Poly on the other hand I think is nearly as good as a deal. But has been run up a bit with the expectancy of having access to the new tower.

The trouble with waiting on Poly (which you should do since you would feel awful if something unexpected occurs, since you only want large units) is eventually ROFR is coming back. Not for Poly, but for CCV. Poly will hopefully be driven down with time by the sheer size of its forthcoming resort mixed with direct sales.

I also think Poly is asymmetrically low on your desired units. While larger units are almost by default easier to book across the board, the sheer volume of studios may make Poly the exception. Especially since half of Poly’s units will be even more expensive preferred views.

Full disclosure… I just bought Aulani, CCV and want to buy Poly. But I’m waiting on the third. So in my opinion those are three excellent resorts. But I’d not do Aulani at all if these points are meant for WDW exclusively. What you save in price you lose in maintenance fees at Aulani and lack any single WDW home resort priority.

Hi! Thanks for the reply! That was my concern with Aulani. I just wanted to make sure that wouldn't be missing out in buying a much larger contract for less and regretting that decision. I do love Wilderness Lodge. I have stayed at Boulder Ridge before, as well as in the main building as a young child, and I love the feel of the whole resort.

I was trying to find a place that would have a longer contract so eventually I could gift it to my children, so that eliminated the 2042 contracts right off the bat. I love the idea of being in one of the MK resorts, and I'm not crazy about the vibe of either Bay Lake or Grand Floridian. I thought that they had announced that Poly would be part of the old association, but if I'm mistaken that definitely changes my outlook on purchasing a Poly contract. I do also love the Polynesian as well.

I definitely had been leaning toward Copper Creek. Thanks so much for your insight. Truly appreciate your perspective!
The point chart at CCV is going to make it a steal compared to the other MK resorts, especially when the other 2042 resorts go away. You don't need nearly as many points at CCV for 1/2 bedrooms as you will at the Monorail resorts.

Of course, I'm biased -- I absolutely love the Wilderness Lodge, we bought there first (at BRV, then at CCV), and we find it to be the best of the MK Resorts (we like Polynesian second-best and own some points there, but we really do prefer the Lodge).

I will be honest, and I hope I’m not overreaching, but reading between the lines in your post, it sounds like what you really want is Polynesian.

So I would suggest that you follow your heart and buy that.
Thanks, nope totally torn. I love both resorts. Really love them both. My husband loved the Polynesian but also loved the calmer atmosphere of CCV. He'll also be helping in making the decision but overall I'm the Disney fan between the two of us.

When would you be visiting? You say you’ll go during more ‘off season times’ but off season for the parks doesn’t necessarily line up with off season for DVC availability & w/out knowing when you want to go no one can really advise you on 7 month availability at DVC. I will note that those times of year when it costs fewer points tend to be the most popular w/ DVC owners.
W/ your family at present you are looking at 2 br.s, no 1 br.s sleep 6 adults. So the factors I would consider are:
1) Point charts: I looked at 6 nights/7 days for the first week of Dec.
Poly 2 br.s, unknown at present - we can assume they’ll be in the neighborhood of Riv/VGF so 298 - 392, Poly bungalow 812
CCV 2 br.s 257, cabin 636, 3 br. 677
Aulani 2 br. 295 - 365, 3 br. 596 - 767
2) end date:
Poly 2066
CCV 2068
Aulani 2062
3) maintenance fees:
Poly $8.23
CCV $8.09
Aulani $9.76/$7.34 (subsidized)
If you opt to wait until Poly 2 goes on sale sometime this year, there’ll likely be incentives for existing members that’ll save a couple of dollars per point & if they’re still offering magical beginnings that’ll shave another $20 per point off which might get you below your $200 per point threshold.
CCV resale listings at present range from $133 - $185 per point.
Thanks. This is a very helpful breakdown. I was thinking of traveling most of the time in the early fall, especially once all of our kids are out of high school (one year away...Yay!) and in college. We have no grandkids yet but my husband and I will have more flexibility with travel once the kids are out of the house. We just took a quick weekend trip and didn't go to the parks at all, just Disney Springs, found some orange groves near Vero Beach, went to Mt. Dora, and relaxed at the Polynesian. It was a wonderful trip and I do think that we will continue to do that from time to time as well. Looking at the point chart for first week in December is an excellent idea for both trying to figure out where to buy but also how many points to buy. Thank you so much for suggesting that week!

I didn’t interpret OP as looking at direct contracts, maybe I’m misinterpreting?

CCV are essentially unbookable at 7 months (you might be able to pick up a day) during the holiday period, even for the larger units. You won’t be able to stay there without home resort priority. So If it’s a one off desire, rent points. If it’s a recurring desire, you’ll need the home resort priority.

I think CCV are currently the most economical points in the portfolio. Both from length of contract and maintenance fees. There has been a really big shift in their pricing. Moderate sized contracts should be very easy to obtain in the 130’s or even 120’s now. Versus 170’s 18 months ago, Disney was actively rofring 160’s and even went as high as 178. On top of that the points chart will assuredly be more economical than Poly 2, especially with your desire to stay in bigger units, it can be meaningful.

Now Poly on the other hand I think is nearly as good as a deal. But has been run up a bit with the expectancy of having access to the new tower.

The trouble with waiting on Poly (which you should do since you would feel awful if something unexpected occurs, since you only want large units) is eventually ROFR is coming back. Not for Poly, but for CCV. Poly will hopefully be driven down with time by the sheer size of its forthcoming resort mixed with direct sales.

I also think Poly is asymmetrically low on your desired units. While larger units are almost by default easier to book across the board, the sheer volume of studios may make Poly the exception. Especially since half of Poly’s units will be even more expensive preferred views.

Full disclosure… I just bought Aulani, CCV and want to buy Poly. But I’m waiting on the third. So in my opinion those are three excellent resorts. But I’d not do Aulani at all if these points are meant for WDW exclusively. What you save in price you lose in maintenance fees at Aulani and lack any single WDW home resort priority.
Definitely starting to lean toward CCV. I'm just kind of tickled pink that I'm going to buy a contract at all. I think I'd be happy with either. I'm definitely not going to purchase Aulani, although I would love to visit there, too. I think everyone's advice against Aulani is sound and now narrowed it down to Poly or Copper Creek. Thanks for your information!

The point chart at CCV is going to make it a steal compared to the other MK resorts, especially when the other 2042 resorts go away. You don't need nearly as many points at CCV for 1/2 bedrooms as you will at the Monorail resorts.

Of course, I'm biased -- I absolutely love the Wilderness Lodge, we bought there first (at BRV, then at CCV), and we find it to be the best of the MK Resorts (we like Polynesian second-best and own some points there, but we really do prefer the Lodge).
As someone who has stayed at both, what do you like best about Wilderness Lodge? I love it, too. I could probably spend hours just relaxing in the lobby.

Thanks, nope totally torn. I love both resorts. Really love them both. My husband loved the Polynesian but also loved the calmer atmosphere of CCV. He'll also be helping in making the decision but overall I'm the Disney fan between the two of us.
If you are torn then I would go for CCV. You can get Poly rooms at the 7 month mark fairly easily year round (with a few exceptions)… but with CCV you absolutely need home resort priority if you want to go in December. Buy-in cost, points chart and dues also lower than Poly, so a win on all the objective fronts.

Aulani, although I would love to visit there, too.
Don’t. We wanted to hate it so we didn’t want to fly again from the East Coast. We fell in love and spend this last Christmas at Aulani (which I thought my daughter would never approve).

As someone who has stayed at both, what do you like best about Wilderness Lodge? I love it, too. I could probably spend hours just relaxing in the lobby.
What is there not to love? We are huge fans of the National Parks and their Lodges and the Wilderness Lodge is so evocative of them - especially its inspiration The Old Faithful Inn - that it just reminds us so much of all the good memories we’ve had on those trips as well as the good times we’ve had there. We love the rocking chairs by the fireplace. The spring bubbling up in the lodge. The view over the lake. Old Faithful. The lobby is so grand and beautiful, yet quiet and cozy — unlike the Polynesian which is often crowded and loud. We love taking the boat to the Magic Kingdom. We love strolling among the trees and “hearing the crickets” at night. It’s just home for us.

I would pick Copper Creek. Poly would be my second choice. I would not buy Aulani unless I actually planned to use it every summer at Aulani.

I am so jealous of the prices that Copper Creek I see on the ROFR. I just bought VGF direct last summer and have a kid in college plus 2 still with childcare, so I’m out of dvc money. But man, I would love to pick up a Copper Creek contract. The resort is so beautiful and the low points charts are great compared to all newer resorts.

If you like Poly more that is a great option right now too. I find Poly a bit overwhelming and not that hard to get a room most of the time at 7m.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter