• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What resort to stay at during Marathon Weekend?

StEpHandMiKe<3Disney

DIS Veteran
Looking for some advice on which resort would be best for my husband and I to stay during marathon weekend. This will be our first run Disney race and we are running the Walt Disney World half marathon. We usually stay at wilderness Lodge for our family vacations but are open to other resorts since it will just be him and I. Does location matter? Do we wanna stay close to the race start? Since this is our first race, we don’t really know what to expect. Thank you!

Prices are absolutely insane so I decided to stay at the Holiday Inn near Disney Springs and will just walk over to Saratoga Springs for the buses.

Being close to Disney Springs also has its advantages I guess (more food choices within close distance)

Location doesn't really matter too much relative to the races. As mentioned, you will either drive, bus or monorail to start. Just an FYI--you can't get to the race start in Epcot from the Boardwalk area resorts by walking. The international gate is not open. Same goes for Skyliner resorts. Some resort clusters (YC/BC, Swan/Dolphin) share buses to and from the races, which can be a pain if you are at one of the later ones to get picked up. But mostly, any issues with buses on race day are usually down to the non-Disney drivers. It's not a major problem, and it can happen anywhere. As for buses to the expo, can't comment since I always have a car and drive to it.

I second @FFigawi advice on picking a resort. Pick what suits your whole vacation--the race is just a part of it.

I agree with @FFigawi & @jmasgat all the resorts will get you there one way or another. IMO though some do feel more MW than others when you are staying there. Places like AOA and Pop are always filled to the brim with runners and just feel a little different. When I have stayed at WL and AKL I have run into people asking what runDisney is or “what is going on”. At Pop it was a lot of high fives and congrats when walking around.

Given all that I am going back to WL for MW. No way I am missing the tree! So it just depends on what is most important to you.

I'm staying at a Marriott property at Flamingo Crossings. As of yesterday, $156 per night including tax and breakfast. There are also no parking or resort fees. We always rent a car (less than $50 per day with Avis) so transportation to the parks and races is no problem. The savings compared to Pop where we used to stay are just too great to stay on site anymore.

I booked Contemporary for marathon weekend. I'm also doing the half, and I like the option of taking the monorail to the Epcot start. I just did my first runD weekend in April 2022 (Springtime surprise) and I stayed at Swan. That really worked out great. I was the last resort to be picked up on the bus (so we went straight to the starting line, didn't pick up at other resorts) and I was the first drop off after the race. What I didn't love was that Swan/Dolphin don't have direct buses to MK, which was a bit of a pain on my last day. I wanted the pic in front of the castle with my medals, and I had a limited amount of time before my flight on the last day, so instead of taking a bus to TTC and then boat or monorail to MK, I took an uber to Contemporary, left my bags there, walked to MK, got my pics, did a few rides, then walked back to Contemporary to get my bags and uber to airport. That worked out fine.

I'm also registered for the half during W&D in November and for that trip we are staying at yacht, because we have the W&D after party at Epcot on the last day, and I love the proximity to Epcot.

I booked Contemporary for marathon weekend. I'm also doing the half, and I like the option of taking the monorail to the Epcot start. I just did my first runD weekend in April 2022 (Springtime surprise) and I stayed at Swan. That really worked out great. I was the last resort to be picked up on the bus (so we went straight to the starting line, didn't pick up at other resorts) and I was the first drop off after the race. What I didn't love was that Swan/Dolphin don't have direct buses to MK, which was a bit of a pain on my last day. I wanted the pic in front of the castle with my medals, and I had a limited amount of time before my flight on the last day, so instead of taking a bus to TTC and then boat or monorail to MK, I took an uber to Contemporary, left my bags there, walked to MK, got my pics, did a few rides, then walked back to Contemporary to get my bags and uber to airport. That worked out fine.

I'm also registered for the half during W&D in November and for that trip we are staying at yacht, because we have the W&D after party at Epcot on the last day, and I love the proximity to Epcot.
So the monorail starts running super early so that the racers can get to Epcot? I’m assuming I would take the monorail to the transportation center and then get on the Epcot monorail to get to the start?

Looking for some advice on which resort would be best for my husband and I to stay during marathon weekend. This will be our first run Disney race and we are running the Walt Disney World half marathon. We usually stay at wilderness Lodge for our family vacations but are open to other resorts since it will just be him and I. Does location matter? Do we wanna stay close to the race start? Since this is our first race, we don’t really know what to expect. Thank you!
We stayed at WL this past MW. Loved it so much that’s where we’re staying this time too. We spent the day after the half lounging by the Boulder Ridge pool, mobile ordered lunch from Geyser Point and had the best day. The resort was quiet enough that we were able to get to bed before 8 each night for good sleep. Busses were solid all three days for us.

I've always stayed at BWV for race weekends but we just added more points at Bay Lake, so we're booked there for MW this year. Looking forward to the monorail for the half and full, and the fam is excited about spectating either from the road or at MK!

I've always stayed at BWV for race weekends but we just added more points at Bay Lake, so we're booked there for MW this year. Looking forward to the monorail for the half and full, and the fam is excited about spectating either from the road or at MK!
That’s awesome! How early can we book our hotel? When I was looking at the Walt Disney World website today I couldn’t see anything past December to book.

One thing that no one seems to talk about and yet can be a HUGE deal for Marathon Weekend (although more for those doing multiple races) is to consider the food choices, particularly the quick service, available. On a "normal" trip, this might not be a big issue, but for a race weekend, there is probably going to be a time - or several times - that you just need to eat and aren't going to want to go to a park or table service or wait in a long line to do so.

For instance, I need to eat something substantial after a longer race (half and up) pretty much as soon as I get back to the hotel. So having a quick service with a good menu - and that I can get to go since I haven't cleaned up yet - is important. I also look for something that will work for pre-race dinners since I like to eat early so everything has a chance to get through my system (sorry if this is TMI) before I leave the hotel room the next morning.

One thing that no one seems to talk about and yet can be a HUGE deal for Marathon Weekend (although more for those doing multiple races) is to consider the food choices, particularly the quick service, available. On a "normal" trip, this might not be a big issue, but for a race weekend, there is probably going to be a time - or several times - that you just need to eat and aren't going to want to go to a park or table service or wait in a long line to do so.

For instance, I need to eat something substantial after a longer race (half and up) pretty much as soon as I get back to the hotel. So having a quick service with a good menu - and that I can get to go since I haven't cleaned up yet - is important. I also look for something that will work for pre-race dinners since I like to eat early so everything has a chance to get through my system (sorry if this is TMI) before I leave the hotel room the next morning.
That’s a good point, I had not thought of that! Thank you for your ideas!

That’s awesome! How early can we book our hotel? When I was looking at the Walt Disney World website today I couldn’t see anything past December to book.

As others have said, you can call and book now. I'm DVC so I booked at my 11 month window. We get a larger room so there is a separate bedroom where I can go to bed early, and a full kitchen for snacks and meals at those odd times. You can rent DVC points or a booked reservation if you're not an owner. I know @Herding_Cats has done that for races.

Last edited:
Yes. We rented dvc points for our last 3 trips, the most recent which was our first race weekend. It’s pretty picked over at this point for studios but availability might open back up. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I made a huge spreadsheet about it and depending on the resort it’s almost on par with all of the nearby off-property hotels.

If you want to book a non-dvc resort right know you have to either call Disney or use a travel agent.

On @sandam1 ’s point about food, I have to eat FOOD like....immediately after a half or longer. I had a sandwich in my bag at bag-check for the full after my post-half disaster where I couldn’t eat until like 5pm. Food choices and microwaves/fridges are definitely something to consider for a weeklong trip. There are only so many chicken fingers and burgers one can eat! 😂

I stayed at WL (CCV) for this past weekend and have it booked again for 2023. I like the food choices for post race between Roaring Fork and Geyser Point as well as a smaller resort footprint so it doesn't seem like a schlep to get to the food choices lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter